Moto X over Nexus 5

froyotlbw88

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I get 5-7hrs screen time on my moto x. 1 more hour max isn't that big of a deal to me and 8hrs is their claim with LTE off.

Idk what issues you're having. I've gotten 5-7 hours of gaming alone. My phone literally lasts me from 9am until about 11pm on normal usage. Streaming from Google Play Music, Youtube, Twitter, Google+, surfing the web, talk time, Hangouts, camera, etc. This is daily. I've never experienced anything near this good with another phone. Moto X does especially well when it's low on power. Seems to give an extra jolt of battery life in the end. Besides, I have Verizon :-/

Kamron Erani

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
Idk what issues you're having. I've gotten 5-7 hours of gaming alone. My phone literally lasts me from 9am until about 11pm on normal usage. Streaming from Google Play Music, Youtube, Twitter, Google+, surfing the web, talk time, Hangouts, camera, etc. This is daily. I've never experienced anything near this good with another phone. Moto X does especially well when it's low on power. Seems to give an extra jolt of battery life in the end. Besides, I have Verizon :-/
So true, I have yet to kill the phone. Two days ago I used the phone like crazy and actually got it to 1% at around 8pm (my classes end at 10pm). The phone kept going on 1% until I got home, even then it didn't die, but I still plugged it in. So heads up to everyone, when your X is at 1% it really is at like 25%

mtndewgood

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Big fan of stock Android Nexus, but completely happy with my Moto X. It gets awesome battery life and I couldn't stand to have a phone any bigger than this size..

Capostatuz913

May 26, 2011
Visit site
Hey my moto x is great .. The nexus 5 is great as well... I love my moto x .. These 2 phones will be the best smartphones today and now that is been confirmed kitkat 4.4 update on the moto x, cant wait to see what my moto x can do with the update...

Posted via Android Central App

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site
You can add active notifications to N5 with dynamic notifications app. Phones seem to be pretty similar, but I'll have to see some reviews of N5 before deciding.

Still not the same and no where near as power efficient

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

festinator

Jul 22, 2013
Visit site
So true, I have yet to kill the phone. Two days ago I used the phone like crazy and actually got it to 1% at around 8pm (my classes end at 10pm). The phone kept going on 1% until I got home, even then it didn't die, but I still plugged it in. So heads up to everyone, when your X is at 1% it really is at like 25%

No, when the phone is at 1%, its really at 1%. :p

Sent from my Nexus 4 using AC Forums mobile app

Neutrino

Oct 2, 2009
Visit site
You really can't go wrong with either device. Ive just moved on from the N4 to the Moto X. Personally, the clean Android interface offered by both is all I find acceptable. Having had the Galaxy Nexus, then the Nexus 4, I found myself growing less interested in romming/theming/rooting. I want good hardware and a stable OS. Will I get a Nexus 5 someday? Only if the features I need more than anything else can't be had on the Moto X. Otherwise, Im good to go till next year!

dazzer87

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I went with the Nexus 5. If the Nexus 5 was not launch by the weekend, I wouldve got the Moto X (off contract). It does suck that the Nexus does not have the touchless control. I am going to use the Nexus for a year and maybe get the Moto X 2 next yr. The price different these two phones (32GB) is about $130 more for the moto x thats with tax and shipping.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Yeah I went with the Nexus 5. If the Nexus 5 was not launch by the weekend, I wouldve got the Moto X (off contract). It does suck that the Nexus does not have the touchless control. I am going to use the Nexus for a year and maybe get the Moto X 2 next yr. The price different these two phones (32GB) is about $130 more for the moto x thats with tax and shipping.

Yep I got the 32GB Moto X the day the price was reduced on moto maker so I paid just under 575 for the Moto X and 445 for the 32GB Nexus 5. The price on the Nexus is really nice and the Moto X is worth it too for no commitment!

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I thought about making this very thread. I have the Moto X and I am in love with the phone. Great Size, easy to use 1 handed. Updates from Motorola/Google have been great and 4.4 on the way. My cam takes much better pictures than when I first got the phone. The touchless control, notifications, and always on screen are the best features ever.
But... this Nexus 5 is taunting me so bad.
I would have to sell the Moto X to get the Nexus 5 and I just can't make myself do it. In fact, I went with an all white AT&T 16GB model. I have actually thought about selling the Moto, paying the ETF on the line and getting another one at 32GB using Moto Maker and coloring the phone the way I like it.

Ugh, I want the Nexus but can't give up my Moto X...

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I thought about making this very thread. I have the Moto X and I am in love with the phone. Great Size, easy to use 1 handed. Updates from Motorola/Google have been great and 4.4 on the way. My cam takes much better pictures than when I first got the phone. The touchless control, notifications, and always on screen are the best features ever.
I would have to sell the Moto X to get the Nexus 5 and I just can't make myself do it. In fact, I went with an all white AT&T 16GB model. I have actually thought about selling the Moto, paying the ETF on the line and getting another one at 32GB using Moto Maker and coloring the phone the way I like it.

I've had the same thoughts. After I got the Moto X I told myself the only device that "might" catch my eye would be the N5. To be honest I am so so about it. It looks very nice but the form factor would be a downgrade in my option. Sure it's a slightly larger display but it's a huge device compared to the X. I love my active notifications and Motorola Connect too much to let them go. I know they say the S800 will handle power consumption much better but I am still skeptical of that size battery pushing a 5 inch 1080p display. I hope I am wrong and the battery life is great on the N5 but for now I have slight reservation. If I could have both I definitely would but like you I would have to get rid of my X to fund the N5 and at this point it's just not happening.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I couldnt give up my Moto X knowing how smooth and lag free it is for a phone that I wont know how it will perform. Also yup I have had Nexus phone before and liked.But that was then and this is now.:)

sent from Moto X

anon(8082935)

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
Every time I pick up someone else's phone to check the time I get disappointed that the active notifications didn't activate. I couldn't take the disappointment every time I took my phone out of my pocket.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
After looking at a few early reviews of the N5 I'm still not certain what the attraction is other than 4.4, which the Moto X will have. Yea the specs are impressive, but I can't imagine a faster or smoother operating device than the X.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site

If you sell, you have to pay an ETF?

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
I will still be getting the Moto X over the Nexus 5.

1. Active Display
2. Touchless Notifications.
3. Moto Assist.
4. Camera gesture
5. Form factor
6. Next generation of hardware orientation philosophy.

The Nexus approach just doesn't get my undies twisted like it used to.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Thats true the Nexus isnt some sort of "magical phone"
Having had a Nexus phone rooted and romed,as well as other phones rooted and romed.I coudnt tell a difference between them.

Im all for people getting the phone they wish ,its your money buy whatever you want and I wish you the best of luck and enjoyment with it.:D

As previous mentioned Im sticking with my Moto X, it was rooted shortly after I purchased it . I rooted it with "Moto root"but I didnt keep it rooted long there really wasnt a reason for me to leave it rooted.
I have no lag with these phone and really dig the active notifications and touchless controls. ;)
After I unrooted I just disabled the apps that I didnt use and that were "safe" to disable.
After the maintance update ,and then the more recent update of the camera and touchless controls via playstore. I feel this phone will get timely support for awhile to come.It seems Google/Motorola has fiqured out a way to update parts of the phone that by pass carrier interference.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
After looking at a few early reviews of the N5 I'm still not certain what the attraction is other than 4.4, which the Moto X will have. Yea the specs are impressive, but I can't imagine a faster or smoother operating device than the X.

For me it is the larger screen, faster updates and Google Wallet. I have used it regularly on previous nexus devices.

The things I like on the Moto x are touch less control, active notifications and battery life. Oh and that vibrate mode is outstanding! If you cannot feel the Moto x vibrating, you have nerve damage.

I am fortunate in being able to get both. I usually have at least two devices to switch between and I am looking forward to have these two devices for a while.

Sent from my Moto X!

Last edited:

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I agree on the Google wallet and hoping as AC reported that Google has found a method which will allow most of the android phones to use before long.
I have had Google Wallet on the last 2 android phones I had.Its really the only thing I miss currently.

I use to have 2 phones as well (just for me)but had to cut back on bills.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
If you sell, you have to pay an ETF?

You don't Have to, but I like to keep my plan down to 3 lines if possible just to keep my average cost per month down.
4th lines for me are always temporary lines while I buying and selling phones.
Most phones will sell for enough to pay the ETF if you use them for 3-5 months before moving onto the next big thing.
I have discovered I am a phone junkie. I don't know that I will ever keep a phone for more than 6 months ever again.
I still would love to try an LG G2, a Note 3, a Nexus 5, and a BB Z30, and Nokia 1520 lol.
I won't make it to all those phones before something else comes out. The Note 3 is at the top of that list since I have never had a device so large and the Nexus 5.

My game works like this:
I add line 4 with new device after having line 3 for 3-6 months. I sell whatever the old phone is on line 3 and pay the ETF on that line.
ETF starts at $350 and goes down $10 a month.
When I ETF line 3, being 3-6 months old, I pay around $300 ETF +/- a few bucks. Rinse and repeat.
Works for me and I don't have to have any device more than 6 months.

My plan its a grandfathered AT&T 700 min. $69.99 where each line is $9.99 a month. I have an old Motorola Razor flip phone left over that I use as a placeholder since it doesn't have a data package. And whatever phone I have at the time gets moved to my primary line.
Takes a little work but the end results are new toys basically whenever I want them.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mike7star