Moto X over Nexus 5

Rule9

Banned
Jun 2, 2013
Visit site
Both are great phones, but the bottom line for me is that the N5 has better hardware and at a price that allows me to upgrade to the newest Nexus every year instead of spending over $600 to do so, coupled with the fact that if I lock myself into a 2 year contract instead of paying over $600 for an unlocked X, I'm once again at the mercy of carriers and their dithering for months for updates for 2 years. The Moto X (or any other recent phone for that matter) doesn't have any hardware or software advantages to offset that for me.

If I intended to keep phones for the duration of 2 year contracts I might feel differently, but until the day comes (and I dearly hope it never comes) that the Nexus program ends, they're the only android smartphone I'll ever consider.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
^^Yea but let's see if the Moto X is supported with the upgrade to 4.4 in a more timely manner than has been experienced with other devices that are branded

lbaxter

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
I was strongly considering trying out the N5 but it looks a little too big for my preference. Looks like a great device but nothing I would ditch my x for.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

I don't have anywhere near me to play with the N5 itself, but I handled the G2 (similar size/form) and thought the same thing. One reason why I just bought a Moto X on Swappa is due to the total size of the device vs the screen. I don't want a 5" screen, and 4.5"+ can be daunting for me unless the housing is snug (which the Moto X is).

lbaxter

Sep 4, 2011
Visit site
Definitely staying with my Moto X. I left the HTC One for the Moto X due to the width off the One. The Nexus5 is 1mm wider then the One. The Moto X is a perfect balance of screen size and handability. (yes, I believe I just made up that word)

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk 2

"Handability" - Trademark it, or I'm stealing it! :)

BCWARE

Jan 17, 2013
Visit site
I came from a GNex and a Nexus S before that.....love the Nexus program. Couldn't wait to get away from Sprint though, so I bought the X on the advice of a cousin that works at ATT....wife chose the LG G2. The Moto X has all the things I liked about the Gnex and then some. Same size, a hair away from being stock...should be quick upgrades and the battery life and speed are top notch. I have messed with my wife's phone and I can see why she likes it...but it has too much bloat on it for me...part of that is that she hasn't customized hers much at all. I was tempted to buy a Nexus 5 just to see, but I think I am going to stay with the X....loving it so far.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
We all keep saying should have quick updates. At this point we just do not know. I would have thought the developers edition would have been updated to 4.3 so maybe they are going directly to 4.4.

Until we see an OS upgrade we just do not know.

Sent from my Moto X!

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
We all keep saying should have quick updates. At this point we just do not know. I would have thought the developers edition would have been updated to 4.3 so maybe they are going directly to 4.4.

Until we see an OS upgrade we just do not know.

Sent from my Moto X!

They said they are going right to 4.4. Better to spend time and resources on 4.4 than wasting time on 4.3 which is good. I'd rather wait a little longer to get the latest OS rather than updating once and then having to wait months to be updated again when they could have just skipped the minor update 4.3 and went right to the larger 4.4 update so I applaud moto on that, the old moto would just now be working on 4.3 with who knows how long you would have been waiting for even acknowledgement of 4.4

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
They said they are going right to 4.4. Better to spend time and resources on 4.4 than wasting time on 4.3 which is good. I'd rather wait a little longer to get the latest OS rather than updating once and then having to wait months to be updated again when they could have just skipped the minor update 4.3 and went right to the larger 4.4 update so I applaud moto on that, the old moto would just now be working on 4.3 with who knows how long you would have been waiting for even acknowledgement of 4.4

I think they are taking what they need from 4.3 and adding 4.4 on top. After all, the anticipated moto g is rumored 4.3. It would also be interesting to see if the touchless controls gets a big upgrade.

Posted via Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site

I will applaud them when they deliver it.

On another note the gizmodo nexus 5 reviews gives the moto x some strong praise!

Sent from my Nexus 7

tortex73

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
So I'm sitting here with my Moto X and my new Nexus 5... guess which one I like better? The Moto X. The N5 has so far proven to be quite the disappointment for me. I'm gonna give it a bit of time before I pass final judgement but so far there are more things I dislike about it than I like, and the whole new phone experience with the N5 has been very underwhelming to say the least.

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
So I'm sitting here with my Moto X and my new Nexus 5... guess which one I like better? The Moto X. The N5 has so far proven to be quite the disappointment for me. I'm gonna give it a bit of time before I pass final judgement but so far there are more things I dislike about it than I like, and the whole new phone experience with the N5 has been very underwhelming to say the least.

Keep us posted with your unbiased opinion after you had more time to use it.

tortex73

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
Keep us posted with your unbiased opinion after you had more time to use it.

Will do.

So far the things I don't like are -

1. UI of Kit Kat (not the N5's fault but treating it as a whole package)
2. Hangouts for SMS
3. The screen- Washed out colors, poor black levels, bad viewing angles when viewed from certain angles. It's passable, and better when you don't compare it to any other device, but I will take the Moto X's screen over this one any day of the week
4. Battery life *seems* mediocre at best, but I need to give it a week before I can truly comment on it
5. Physical feel of the phone/lack of heft- it feels like a fragile, empty shell. Almost like a mockup that just so happens to work

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Will do.

So far the things I don't like are -

1. UI of Kit Kat (not the N5's fault but treating it as a whole package)
2. Hangouts for SMS
3. The screen- Washed out colors, poor black levels, bad viewing angles when viewed from certain angles. It's passable, and better when you don't compare it to any other device, but I will take the Moto X's screen over this one any day of the week
4. Battery life *seems* mediocre at best, but I need to give it a week before I can truly comment on it
5. Physical feel of the phone/lack of heft- it feels like a fragile, empty shell. Almost like a mockup that just so happens to work

I get mine this week also. I plan to go 2 weeks with it as my daily driver to give it a good trial like I did my Moto X. I do not use hangouts and plan to use 8sms for texting.

Sent from my Moto X!

Last edited:

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
If these wood backed Moto x's are available soon like suggested, you'll be hearing me say.."Nexus who"
Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2

phew

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I spent a couple hours with my wife's new Nexus 5 last night. A few observations:
+The screen is very nice on the Nexus. The only thing the Moto X has over it is better contrast (blacks)
+Very snappy, seems to switch between tabs a touch faster than the Moto
+Google Now is implemented just as well on the Nexus as Moto
+Seems to have excellent radios; side-by-side with my Moto, it got 10 dB better signal to the same AT&T towers
-Nexus is bizarrely light, which makes it feel cheap/flimsy. It's also awkward to hold; I really missed the "dimple" on the Moto
-The size+form factor gives the Nexus poor "pocketability'. The Moto X is the perfect shape/size for keeping in one's pocket
-The metal buttons on the Nexus are sharp like razor blades on the edges; no fillet/chamfer whatsoever. They get caught on everything (pockets, fingers, etc)
-I really missed Active Notifications and Moto Assist; will have to install some apps on the Nexus to duplicate these capabilities

Didn't play with the camera yet. Overall, the Nexus seems like an awesome device, but it's clear when holding the Moto X why it's ~$130 more expensive.

Last edited:

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
asha_kanta_sharma