Moto X over Nexus 5

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
I get mine this week also. I plan to go 2 weeks with it as my daily driver to give it a good trial like I did my Moto X. I do not use hangouts and plan to use 8sms for texting.

Sent from my Moto X!

I will be curious of your review too

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
after seeing the AC article on n5 battery life, im still happy with my x. they used it similarily like i do and i know for sure i wouldve had a longer lasting battery. seeing how this is as close as i have ever been to vanilla after coming from a gnex, im sold with moto x and any future iterations.

i wouldnt be surprised if they introduce android 5.0 on the moto x2

delta7

Sep 11, 2010
Visit site
I wanted a nexus as a replacement to my iPhone 5 but the battery life turned me off. I'm deciding between the s4 and the x now,

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I wanted a nexus as a replacement to my iPhone 5 but the battery life turned me off. I'm deciding between the s4 and the x now,

Battery: moto x hands down. I owned s4 prior and the battery would drain quickly. Moto x has been phenomenal on battery life.

Posted via Android Central App

Steve-x

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
+Seems to have excellent radios; side-by-side with my Moto, it got 10 dB better signal to the same AT&T towers

Something is wrong with your Moto X, they were connected using different bands or the signal level is simply incorrect on one of them. It may be possible to be a few db different but not 10db(which is equal to a signal ten times stronger)

ne0ne

Jun 26, 2013
Visit site

I own a gpe gs4. I would highly recommend you check out the Moto X some more. It is really a fantastic device. You just can't go wrong with one. Once you get used to active display / active notifications you will never want to go back !

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
I was waiting to see the nexus 5 and what it would bring. After realizing the truth behind the small battery, I knew it would be no improvement over my current nexus 4 battery which is abysmal. I've read a lot of good things about the moto x battery and believe it is exactly what I need. Plus those active notifications and moto assist really cannot be beat.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I was waiting to see the nexus 5 and what it would bring. After realizing the truth behind the small battery, I knew it would be no improvement over my current nexus 4 battery which is abysmal. I've read a lot of good things about the moto x battery and believe it is exactly what I need. Plus those active notifications and moto assist really cannot be beat.

On a light day I get almost 2 days on battery. Heavy use: 24 hours give a take a couple. No complaints here...amazing coming from the Galaxy S2. Just hope it doesn't lose it's capability in a year or so. Best cellphone/device I've ever owned. Nexus 5 may be cool, but I don't see how it is worth paying more for it than the X under contract

ddot196

Mar 7, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for that. See here is my deal. I wake up at 6 and go to work at 7. I get off at 3. Sometimes I don't or cannot go home after. I use my phone moderately while at work. I want a phone that could last me until I finally get ready to go home and plug it in around 11 or 12. A whole day without having to worry about charging the dang thing. So I hope this phone can do it cause my nexus doesn't cut it the least bit lol. I miss the days of having a phone that lasted an entire day, not an entire day based on reviewers which to them apparently all means around 8 hours...sorry but what kind of day is that? Lol.

jimpryde

Apr 26, 2010
Visit site
I'm moving away from my Galaxy Nexus and after weighing my options, I went with the X. My job pays for my service, so I could get the X for $99 or pay for the Nexus. I liked the free tethering, but in the end the form factor and comfort of the X as well as the amazing software features won me over. Hopefully, the improvements to the camera will eliminate what most have stated is the big weak point of it. It can't possibly be worse than the GNex. It's camera is just awful.

tortex73

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
I get mine this week also. I plan to go 2 weeks with it as my daily driver to give it a good trial like I did my Moto X. I do not use hangouts and plan to use 8sms for texting.

Sent from my Moto X!

If you root it you can install the stock 4.4 MMS.apk pulled from AOSP. It's better than using a 3rd party app.

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for that. See here is my deal. I wake up at 6 and go to work at 7. I get off at 3. Sometimes I don't or cannot go home after. I use my phone moderately while at work. I want a phone that could last me until I finally get ready to go home and plug it in around 11 or 12. A whole day without having to worry about charging the dang thing. So I hope this phone can do it cause my nexus doesn't cut it the least bit lol. I miss the days of having a phone that lasted an entire day, not an entire day based on reviewers which to them apparently all means around 8 hours...sorry but what kind of day is that? Lol.

Can't imagine the battery not giving you what you need. May as well give it a go on the 14 day policy imo

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
How awesome must it be to be LG and Google right now? The only real debates on phones are G2 and nexus (both LG) and the Moto x (lot of Google win in it). The top 3 Android devices are the babies of Google and their closest partners of late. No way for us to lose with those 3 and in every case Google wins. I like the partnership with us and choice of philosophies, rather than some companies approach of: here is this thing we made, deal with it.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
How awesome must it be to be LG and Google right now? The only real debates on phones are G2 and nexus (both LG) and the Moto x (lot of Google win in it). The top 3 Android devices are the babies of Google and their closest partners of late. No way for us to lose with those 3 and in every case Google wins. I like the partnership with us and choice of philosophies, rather than some companies approach of: here is this thing we made, deal with it.

XT1060. Through spacetime.

Not to mention the growth from each companies devices. Next year is going to be an even bigger leap, they've got the momentum now. I enjoy seeing more Google and Moto commercials & a bigger presence in Best Buy. They need to continue to ramp up marketing now that the glues are starting to settle.

CarbonOak

Jul 10, 2010
Visit site
After being bummed that there is no Nexus 5 for Verizon, I'm glad to hear people are still enjoying the Moto X. I look forward to Motomaker on Verizon. I just wish off-contract was cheaper, at least on par with the Nexus 5 price. But regardless, I'm getting a customized Moto X for sure.

raiderep

Aug 10, 2010
Visit site
Well I have played with a nexus 5 since Monday and could not get my moto x out of my head the whole time. Nexus went on eBay last night and not looking back. Size and abilities decided it for me not to mention form factor. My wife is happy too(its been a tough decision) ;-) I have never been this torn between two phones before and I've had a lot of androids starting with a Samsung moment. Android sure has come along way huh?

phew

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
Android sure has come along way huh?

The "killer app" was the addition of TRIM support starting in 4.3 (and the Moto X has it on 4.2.2). Sluggish performance over time has been what doomed older Android devices, but now that has been pretty much fixed. While 2-yr old phones (especially the ones with carrier bloat and manufacturer skins) are seeming pretty weak right now, I bet in 2 years that the Moto X/N5/etc running stock Android will still perform great.

Kind of like PCs; it used to be that a 3 yr old PC was terrible to use. Now you can take a 5yr old PC and slap an SSD and an extra stick of RAM in, and it runs like a new computer.