Moto X over Nexus 5

jev425

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I had been an iPhone user since day one. Dumped my iPhone 5 for the Moto X. Haven't missed the iPhone even once. The Nexus 5 is very tempting but I'm afraid I would miss the touchless controls/"Always On" features and the active notifications.

I had a moto x at one point and loved the active notifications and the form factor. between the camera and the harsh vibration motor I ended up returning it. I thought maybe since it was a new released phone those new batches might have some things wrong with them.

magnificenthack

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
Had lunch with a friend the other day. He rushed to show me his new iPhone 5S. My Moto X was sitting on the table but it wasn't an iPhone so he didn't even look at it. He showed off some features, tried to make Siri work (and failed). Then, in the middle of the crowded restaurant, I just said "Ok, Google Now..." and asked it about the weather. And it answered. My friend looked at me, looked at the Moto, actually said, "Are you f*cking kidding me?" and put his 5S away.

magnificenthack

Nov 8, 2013
Visit site
The recent camera update went a long way for me and as for the vibration motor, yep, it's harsh but I guess I've gotten used to it because it doesn't bother me any more.

TechTinker

Aug 10, 2011
Visit site
A couple things about the N5 that I like over the moto x. One, no vzw setup wizard. 2, the haptic feedback on the nexus is better than the X and silent. I love both phones but being on vzw and not having Google wallet is a drag. I will be on the hunt for all these issues people speak of. I honestly don't think you can go wrong with either. The screen on the nexus is wowza!

Sent from my SM-N900V using Tapatalk

VZN set up wizard? Is that the calling to get your service? Hm. That could change with the 4.4 update. And I think thats one of the main things with 4.4, non Google-Play devices arn't able to use wallet because of carriers, so now with 4.4 wallet should work.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site
VZN set up wizard? Is that the calling to get your service? Hm. That could change with the 4.4 update. And I think thats one of the main things with 4.4, non Google-Play devices arn't able to use wallet because of carriers, so now with 4.4 wallet should work.

I don't remember the setup wizard on my X.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
The recent camera update went a long way for me and as for the vibration motor, yep, it's harsh but I guess I've gotten used to it because it doesn't bother me any more.

My first one had a gnarly vibrate.. The one I have now. Not much worse than a normal vibrate.

Haptic feedback is quite nasty though. I turned that off haha.

Posted via Android Central App

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site

It is Verizon's assist that is used to set up the phone on first boot from the beginning instead of Google setup.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
Was quoting 'fldude99's reply to my earlier post, not sure why it didn't work.

'What??!!' what?

My first point was that I didn't like that the Moto X seems to have the microphone on at all times. Moto X Touchless Controls - YouTube first few seconds, screen is off, and he says "Ok Google Now" and it wakes up, even expressly says it turns the screen on. That's listening. I know it's said the chip does the detection, not google online processing.

Second, I'm on Sprint. They have this new Sprint Spark network in 5 cities, one being Miami, which is where I am. I want to try that, but the Moto X doesn't have Sprint Spark, and the N5 does.

Third, the price point is another thing. I can get an N5 for $349, and the X is still more than that. I buy my phones off contract whenever possible.

Lastly, I'd at least wait for Moto Maker for non-AT&T phones. As in I'd want to at least wait for Moto Maker on Sprint, as I have a real dislike for AT&T.

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I got my Nexus 5 this week and have been using it as my daily driver. Missing some things about my Moto X but I committed to 2 weeks to give my Nexus 5 a fair shake. So far the Nexus has performed well. I made some notes on some areas in which these devices offer a better experience in my opinion.

Moto X Pros

Active Notifications- They are just so useful. I installed dynamic notifications and they are better than nothing but not the same. Also REALLY miss my clock and lock screen coming up when I pick up my Moto X.
Touchless Controls- Just so useful to be able to use this feature with the screen off.
Battery Life- The Moto X is a brute on the battery life.
Heft and feel in the hand- The Moto X shape and weight combine to make it feel better in the hand.
Stock Camera App- From the twist opening to the interface, I just like it better.
Speaker- No contest here, the Moto X just blows the Nexus speaker out of the water.

Nexus 5 Pros

Larger full HD screen with larger icons- Nice beautiful screen. Offers a nice experience for reading and browsing and netflix etc.
Android 4.4 Kit kat- Lots of improvements and Google Now is more tightly integrated. The best android OS going.
Faster OS updates- The hallmark of a Nexus. If this is important to you, keep this in mind. Many say the Moto will be updated quickly, but not like a Nexus.
Google Wallet- Just something I use often. Simple to use and works fine on the Nexus 5.
Better Call Quality (from earpiece)- Calls have been surprisingly strong and clear!
Wireless Charging- Another thing I like to use. It is simple to have my charging mat and just top off if needed without working about a cord.
Off Contract Price- Can be a big factor to some. Both of mine are 32GB models and I paid $445 for the Nexus and $574 for the Moto X with tax and shipping.

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Bought a brand called Noosy from amazon. Works well in my S4 and Nexus 5.

Sent from my bada$$ Nexus 5

That's good to hear. I ordered the same brand so I could use it between the X and my One. Was worried that's one I got my X the adapter would get stuck in the One.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF300T using AC Forums mobile app

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan