What ever happened to the wood backs?

livetoride4666

Apr 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a nexus 5 on order, but if Motorola ever puts out the wood backs I might be tempted to return to the almighty X.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Wood?! Look, I don't know if you've been keeping up with current events or not but trees are in extremely short supply. Why heck, they're practically extinct. ...and you want Motorola to use wood? Real wood? Good luck with that. /s

Rocketsaucev2

Feb 5, 2013
Visit site
^not sure if serious

I'm curious how the feel is. My instincts tell me the wood is probably more slippery than my woven black and I love the feel of it soo much. But those dark mahogany ones look siiiiick

Sent from my Nexus 10

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I've always wondered how a wood back phone would age with it getting hot then cooling down repeatedly every day. I think they look awesome I just wonder how long before the wood starts to expand or shrink.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Wood?! Look, I don't know if you've been keeping up with current events or not but trees are in extremely short supply. Why heck, they're practically extinct. ...and you want Motorola to use wood? Real wood? Good luck with that. /s

What if they used bamboo?

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I've always wondered how a wood back phone would age with it getting hot then cooling down repeatedly every day. I think they look awesome I just wonder how long before the wood starts to expand or shrink.

I'm sure they would seal it to counter the effects of heat, cold, dry and humidity.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Didn't they say by the end of the year?

Posted via Android Central App

Convert2

Jul 14, 2012
Visit site
I have two snowboards made of koa wood. If they can make snowboards that can take a beating on the mountain, surely they can make wood backs of a phone.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Here's a picture of the wood backs sitting in the Moto X factory, taken almost two months ago:

BT1G3x2CQAEQIV8.jpg

With Verizon's Moto Maker launch coming up within the next week or so, I would expect to hear more soon. I've surmised in the past that Motorola will pour on the heat for the holiday season. A reasonable assumption (in my mind) will be that you'll have your answer around Thanksgiving.

stameyryan

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
Haven't seen very many wood backs at the factory lately. We are ramping up for the verizon moto maker. The wood backs I have seen do look sick and they are real wood so I don't know how well they will stand up in real world.

Postoid

Nov 26, 2011
Visit site
Haven't seen very many wood backs at the factory lately. We are ramping up for the verizon moto maker. The wood backs I have seen do look sick and they are real wood so I don't know how well they will stand up in real world.

Thanks for the report. Keep us posted :p

I'll stay with chalk/black... Curious as to how the wood back will affect receiving radio freq's.

phew

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if it's just a wood veneer over a regular plastic back, or if the wood is structural. The latter would be pretty cool.Thickness measurements would tell the tale.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
psaturn