Now I know were not a bunch of spec-heads here. But a lot of people say if a new phone doesn't have the S800 it can't compete.
    How do you think the two processors hold up to each other?
    The 800 says it features native active listening but no one has taken advantage of that yet unless what the N5 does is the most it can do, lol. The X however still has the lower cores, which made it more efficient than the 600, but does the 800 outclass it?
    11-03-2013 09:52 PM
    It may have to be taken in the context of what is being powered. IMO the x8 in the nexus might make it weaker because aosp might not have the software to take proper advantage of it, plus a larger screen with higher resolution, etc. Likewise, the moto x without the X8 might be much less of a device.

As far as theoretical performance I think the SD COULD do more, but will it? Not unless apps make a giant evolutionary leap tomorrow. In real world performance nothing but the A7 comes up to the Moto X in smoothness and speed (I haven't tested a N5 yet). Today its too close for me to call, but I do believe that the X8 is the more innovative technology.

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    11-03-2013 10:03 PM
    IMO there is some serious software optimizations going on with the Moto X, making it one of the best android devices out right now. I love 1080p and quad core CPUs, but the form factor and software experience on the moto x is outstanding.

To put things into perspective , tho I realize benchmarks are a bad example, the moto x benchmarked higher than the LG G pro with a snapdragon 600 quad core. So it's all relative.

I dont see anything replacing the moto x as my daily device anytime soon.

And to be technical nexus devices are not AOSP.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2
    davidnc likes this.
    11-04-2013 02:29 AM
    I think just cause the Moto X is not on paper considered to be on the high end spec wise of phones that it doesnt perform well in the real world.As far as Im concerned the Moto X is one of the smoothest(if not the smoothest) of any android phone I have owned.I think it is an under rated phone just because people tend to view specs to much.

I will probably follow the N5 thread from time to time just to hear how its reviewing(but probably not post much ).
    I dont see anything replacing my Moto X either . I only have one daily device so I need a relieable one
    11-04-2013 06:51 AM
    Yup Moto X compared to other phones with quad core is surprisingly good, since the X8 has 2 cores for general process, 2 other cores for sensor and screen notifications and 4 for GPU rather than 4 cores for everything which can cause slowdowns. My HTC One X with 4 cores feels sluggish now that I've been using the Moto X...

But yeah when people see "dual core" then run off, guess that new Samsung Exynos 8 core is going to spoil people, yet I wouldn't be surprised if it lacked in performance in real world use, kind of like those 8 core AMD CPU's trailing behind those 4 core Intel CPU's that are 1GHz slower.
    davidnc likes this.
    11-04-2013 07:57 AM
    I think just cause the Moto X is not on paper considered to be on the high end spec wise of phones that it doesnt perform well in the real world.
    I think that was the first reaction, but consensus seems to have changed that it is possibly one of the highest tech devices available with Android.

At least consensus between myself and those who agree with me... which is everyone I listen to /s
    davidnc likes this.
    11-04-2013 08:58 AM
    The Moto X and iPhone have spoiled my world view. Now I'll be sorely unimpressed with anything that doesn't have the S800 in a similar chipset architecture.

More to the point: the current specs we're seeing on the likes of the G2 and Nexus 5 surely pack more raw horsepower than the X8, but they're not nearly as "smart."

I think the obsession with specs is somewhat due to the fact that phones slow down over time and people feel the need to buy something that theoretically blows the pants off their old device, only to see that slow down as well. In that light, I think the most "future proof" spec is TRIM, and that's also the reason why I have no qualms buying a Moto X over a supposedly higher-spec'd device.
    davidnc, ultravisitor and Aquila like this.
    11-04-2013 09:43 AM
    While I am sure the moto x does have some good optimization, I guarantee you that the general smoothness is because of 720p vs 1080p. Basically the X has a current Gen chipset with a last Gen resolution. It makes a huge difference.

Now before all the hate, not at any point in this post did I say that the X was a bad device, an underspeced device, or that it needed 1080p. I merely said that moving a lower resolution is much easier on a cpu/gpu, which is a fact. This fact makes the moto x much smoother and snappier despite lacking the raw computing power of the s800.
    mrstarzan likes this.
    11-04-2013 10:31 AM
    There is no comparison between the X8 and the S800. the S800 will smoke the X8 in terms of pure performance. The Moto X is using a base of the dual core snapdragon. The S800 is just beast in performance. Do not get this confused with overall feel and slickness...My moto x runs like a dream with no lag. But when compareed to my new Nexus 5 with the S800 you can tell the difference in very demanding apps. For example play dead trigger on the moto x then play it on the nexus 5 and you will see the difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Plus the S800 has an "always listening" core saver as well.
    11-04-2013 11:12 AM
    I think just cause the Moto X is not on paper considered to be on the high end spec wise of phones that it doesnt perform well in the real world.As far as Im concerned the Moto X is one of the smoothest(if not the smoothest) of any android phone I have owned.I think it is an under rated phone just because people tend to view specs to much.

I will probably follow the N5 thread from time to time just to hear how its reviewing(but probably not post much ).
    I dont see anything replacing my Moto X either . I only have one daily device so I need a relieable one
    So true.
    davidnc likes this.
    11-04-2013 12:03 PM
    There is no comparison between the X8 and the S800. the S800 will smoke the X8 in terms of pure performance. The Moto X is using a base of the dual core snapdragon. The S800 is just beast in performance. Do not get this confused with overall feel and slickness...My moto x runs like a dream with no lag. But when compareed to my new Nexus 5 with the S800 you can tell the difference in very demanding apps. For example play dead trigger on the moto x then play it on the nexus 5 and you will see the difference.

- - - Updated - - -

Ah... That's because of the adreno 330 which handles graphics better than the 320.

The s800 does have better raw power, and the adreno 330 may have better power for graphics, but it depends on how the phone uses that power. In most phones the phone constantly tries to put the hungry CPU cores to sleep, or deals with trimming inefficiently. The moto x is always running at its max CPU performance and manages the power distribution to other low powered cores. Although the s800 haves a low powered always listening core, it hasnt been used, and at this moment cannot be determined.

The overall question should not be if the s800 is superior to the x8, but can someone efficiently use the s800 better than the X?

Posted via Android Central App
    chevyman29, weksa, Stang68 and 1 others like this.
    11-04-2013 01:19 PM
    Yup Moto X compared to other phones with quad core is surprisingly good, since the X8 has 2 cores for general process, 2 other cores for sensor and screen notifications and 4 for GPU rather than 4 cores for everything which can cause slowdowns. My HTC One X with 4 cores feels sluggish now that I've been using the Moto X...

But yeah when people see "dual core" then run off, guess that new Samsung Exynos 8 core is going to spoil people, yet I wouldn't be surprised if it lacked in performance in real world use, kind of like those 8 core AMD CPU's trailing behind those 4 core Intel CPU's that are 1GHz slower.
    So you can say that the moto x has an 8 core processor evenly distributed.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-04-2013 01:33 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Yes however the always listening feature is different as I am sure you know.

11-04-2013 02:35 PM
    Yes however the always listening feature is different as I am sure you know.

Yes it is different. The 8X architecture was created almost specifically for a core to always listen hence why you can have a phone that will listen to your voice 24/7 and actually still be able to function and have a good battery. While the S800 has a natural always listening state but to the extent is not activated while in sleep. But the S800 does techincally have a always listening feature.

With that being said I think the Moto X is still one of the best phones out there. It was never really meant to compete with the S800's or even the S600's and is fantastic in its own rite. Only phone that bested the moto x in terms of snappiness is my brand new nexus 5 that does have a top of the line S800, which goes to show how amazing moto x's 8x architecture really is to be able to compete with the top dogs.
    11-04-2013 02:58 PM

- - - Updated - - -

Yes, you are right about that part but u are not seeing the complete picture.... Yes,playing high end games which makes use of 4 cores blow Moto X

but that kind of apps are only 0.5% percent of the whole app ecosystem. the rest of 99.5% app don't even use that 2 cores out of the 4 cores.
    so, for those 99.5% of apps -- S800 uses 2 cores which is shared between Android(all process) and Apps(99.5% apps)
    In X, the same 99.5% of apps -- X8 uses 2 core for some Android(Voice,DSP,Touch screen processes) and the other 2 cores is shared between Android(remaining process) and Apps(99.5% apps)

its more of optimized quad core for the remaining 99.5% of apps while S800 is only optimized for that 0.5% of the apps.

I would take that 99.5% over 0.5%
    11-04-2013 03:02 PM
    Yes, you are right about that part but u are not seeing the complete picture.... Yes,playing high end games which makes use of 4 cores blow Moto X

but that kind of apps are only 0.5% percent of the whole app ecosystem. the rest of 99.5% app don't even use that 2 cores out of the 4 cores.
    so, for those 99.5% of apps -- S800 uses 2 cores which is shared between Android(all process) and Apps(99.5% apps)
    In X, the same 99.5% of apps -- X8 uses 2 core for some Android(Voice,DSP,Touch screen processes) and the other 2 cores is shared between Android(remaining process) and Apps(99.5% apps)

its more of optimized quad core for the remaining 99.5% of apps while S800 is only optimized for that 0.5% of the apps.

I would take that 99.5% over 0.5%
    Your point is very valid. For all intensive purposes what you do with your device is what really matters. Like I said I LOVE my Moto X and it does everything I want it to do, and well at that. But the whole point of this post is comparing moto's 8X architecture to a S800. The S800 will always outperform the 8X in the Moto X. But that doesnt make the Moto X any less of a phone. Call me crazy but I chose the Moto X over a LG G2 wih the S800 because I love the almost stock feel of the Moto X.

What is comes down to is personal choice. If you play alot of intesive demanding games all day most likely a S800 device is better for you. I still think the Moto X is one of the best and fastest device out there. But this Nexus 5 is just perfect lol
    11-04-2013 03:44 PM
    Your point is very valid. For all intensive purposes what you do with your device is what really matters. Like I said I LOVE my Moto X and it does everything I want it to do, and well at that. But the whole point of this post is comparing moto's 8X architecture to a S800. The S800 will always outperform the 8X in the Moto X. But that doesnt make the Moto X any less of a phone. Call me crazy but I chose the Moto X over a LG G2 wih the S800 because I love the almost stock feel of the Moto X.

What is comes down to is personal choice. If you play alot of intesive demanding games all day most likely a S800 device is better for you. I still think the Moto X is one of the best and fastest device out there. But this Nexus 5 is just perfect lol
    I dont play many games on my Moto X so that never was a variable in my decision .
    Im loving the lag free,smoothness and speed of the Moto X and this is coming from an Galaxy Nexus and Galaxy S3.As well as the size of the phone to me its perfect size.I like a phone I can stick in my pocket.I hate holsters.lol

sent from Moto X
    11-04-2013 09:33 PM
    The moto X is in my opinion the nicest looking device out there to date...even beats the htc one and nexus 5...The all all screen no bezel look with the on screen buttons to me is my personal hotspot in design...to make matters even better it is one solid device. I yet to run into any lag since I purchased it on verizon at launch. I only had one hiccup when I was multitasking but I had netflix and HBO anywhere on while playing a graphic intensive game so I am sure even my Nexus 5 would of stuttered at that point...The only issue I have with the Moto X is 720p screen. I think the screen is still top knoch but coming from a Droid DNA to a Samsung S4 to An HTC One then to a Moto X I can tell the difference in screen quality. It isnt a dealbreaker and i completely understand why Motorola didnt opt for the 1080p as far as a power consumption stand point. But its my only complain and not much of one lol The true test of the Moto X will be seeing if Moto really changed there ways and will update it in a timely fashion....It was my only hesitation when purchasing this device.
    ne0ne likes this.
    11-05-2013 10:52 AM
    Its "for all intents and purposes". Sorry it was bugging me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Ry likes this.
    11-05-2013 12:36 PM
    Its "for all intents and purposes". Sorry it was bugging me

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    Sorry, Not thinking straight.
    11-05-2013 02:00 PM
    The moto X is in my opinion the nicest looking device out there to date...even beats the htc one and nexus 5...The all all screen no bezel look with the on screen buttons to me is my personal hotspot in design...to make matters even better it is one solid device. I yet to run into any lag since I purchased it on verizon at launch. I only had one hiccup when I was multitasking but I had netflix and HBO anywhere on while playing a graphic intensive game so I am sure even my Nexus 5 would of stuttered at that point...The only issue I have with the Moto X is 720p screen. I think the screen is still top knoch but coming from a Droid DNA to a Samsung S4 to An HTC One then to a Moto X I can tell the difference in screen quality. It isnt a dealbreaker and i completely understand why Motorola didnt opt for the 1080p as far as a power consumption stand point. But its my only complain and not much of one lol The true test of the Moto X will be seeing if Moto really changed there ways and will update it in a timely fashion....It was my only hesitation when purchasing this device.
    Pretty much sums up my feelings on the X. The almost non-existent bezels & amazing form factor make for one great device.

11-05-2013 02:10 PM