I can honestly say I love everything about this phone. the ergonomics and form factor is great (that bezel!), customization options are awesome, I love the stock android with motorolas touchless controls, assist, and active display, and it even has amazing battery life to top it all off. the ONLY thing that is holding me back from pulling the trigger and buying this phone is the specs. I know how snappy and responsive the phone is, and how great motorolas x8 architecture is and all. but with phones out like the g2 and nexus 5 with snapdragon 800s that absolutely SCREAM it leaves me worried for the moto x in a year, or a year and a half when im still locked into my contract and my phone is a laggy, bogged down mess. Ive heard the arguements that specs dont matter anymore, and its all about the experience, etc. but coming from a samsung droid charge that became so frustrating to use after only a year when dealing with constant lag and freezing is a daily occurance, I just dont want to make the same mistake twice and be kicking myself for going for a phone without top of the line hardware. so should I just buy the moto x and hope its still as fast as it is today? or should I buy a G2 and "future proof" my phone?
    11-05-2013 10:03 PM
    Why do you think your X will be a bogged down mess in a year? I'm planning to get one myself; can't leave Verizon, so can't get what I really want - the 5.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2
    11-05-2013 10:06 PM
    I can honestly say I love everything about this phone. the ergonomics and form factor is great (that bezel!), customization options are awesome, I love the stock android with motorolas touchless controls, assist, and active display, and it even has amazing battery life to top it all off. the ONLY thing that is holding me back from pulling the trigger and buying this phone is the specs. I know how snappy and responsive the phone is, and how great motorolas x8 architecture is and all. but with phones out like the g2 and nexus 5 with snapdragon 800s that absolutely SCREAM it leaves me worried for the moto x in a year, or a year and a half when im still locked into my contract and my phone is a laggy, bogged down mess. Ive heard the arguements that specs dont matter anymore, and its all about the experience, etc. but coming from a samsung droid charge that became so frustrating to use after only a year when dealing with constant lag and freezing is a daily occurance, I just dont want to make the same mistake twice and be kicking myself for going for a phone without top of the line hardware. so should I just buy the moto x and hope its still as fast as it is today? or should I buy a G2 and "future proof" my phone?
    There is a lot more to the subject of lag than the processor, and its honestly much more software related than hardware. If I were going to bet on obsolescence between these two, I honestly think that the moto x will be the stronger device then too.

From a processing standpoint, the X8 handles tasks and threading more efficiently, due to how it handles the ramp up/down of its cores and allows the GPU to rock its power. From a software standpoint, IMO the x is in the upper class, including trim functionality before 4.3 and flying through random r/w tasks.

I also don't think either will be bad in only a year or two, but its hard to guess. Things have come a long way very quickly, but most apps are becoming more efficient, rather than more taxing at present.

Kit Kat Galaxy Nexus... through spacetime.
    Roman J and lisainsf like this.
    11-05-2013 10:12 PM
    First, you say you love X, X, X features but you don't have the phone? If you think so just wait till you actually use it. Its better than you think.

As far as specs go I'd say it comes down to what your doing with the device. If unlocked bootloader and flashing is your thing then a nexus is the way to go. If a phone that works super fast and smooth and simply on stock android appeals to you then the Moto X is a dream come true. Motorola is a reborn company under google (not unrealistically like some people demand but they are giving timely updates and real customer support and attention) and the specs are the last thing on any moto X user's mind. They. Really. Don't. Matter. The phone is a gorgeous, well built, intuitive piece of hardware and software. I love mine

-Moto X-
    tonymhoffman and weksa like this.
    11-05-2013 10:17 PM
    Couldn't be happier with mine as well.

Active notifications.

'nuff said.
    jephanie and tonymhoffman like this.
    11-05-2013 10:20 PM
    If you're worried about it, read this:

AnandTech | Moto X Review

The Moto X uses F2FS on user data partitions, which has tremendous impacts not only on performance but device behavior over time. For starters, the Moto X boasts better random write performance than any other Android device we’ve ever tested:
    The combination of eMMC hardware and F2FS appears to give the Moto X relative immunity to the sort of significant slowdowns we’ve seen with other Android eMMC implementations. In other words, based on this data, you could run your Moto X at or near full capacity without significantly compromising user experience.
    Motorola’s decision to include F2FS on the Moto X appears to be a great one from a performance standpoint. The Moto X is the first Android device I’ve used that should be able to keep its performance relatively high while operating in a (nearly) full partition state.
    11-05-2013 10:21 PM
    I couldn't be happier with my Moto X. Active notifications are awesome and performance is much better than I expected. No random reboots after the latest firmware update and I'm going on 350 hours of uptime with no lag.

Moto has also confirmed they are going straight to 4.4. With Google behind them you can tell their is additional emphasis on timely updates. The soak test program is great and should be adopted by other companies.

The X is still by far the best phone on the market IMO.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-05-2013 10:29 PM
    coming from a samsung droid charge that became so frustrating to use after only a year when dealing with constant lag and freezing is a daily occurance
    Along with what others have said about the lag being related to software, remember that the Droid Charge has TouchWiz on top of Android, which complicates matters.
    11-05-2013 10:33 PM
    thanks for the info! you have eased my worries, ill definitely be ordering one soon. now im just waiting on motomaker for verizon...
    Rocketsaucev2 likes this.
    11-05-2013 10:35 PM
    I just can't decide between the X and the Maxx. Both are $499 now.
    11-05-2013 11:48 PM
    I just can't decide between the X and the Maxx. Both are $499 now.
    I'd say they're even-ish now.... But next year? X by a lot is my bet.

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    11-05-2013 11:50 PM
    so should I just buy the moto x and hope its still as fast as it is today? or should I buy a G2 and "future proof" my phone?
    Curious -- what makes you think the G2 won't slow down?

Think back to all the spec-monster phones you've owned (well, relative to their competition at the time). I'm willing to bet they all slowed down, no matter how gnarly you thought the hardware was.

Fearless forecast: the Moto X in its current form will hold its speed better than the G2 in its current form. After, Kit Kat, all bets are off.
    11-05-2013 11:59 PM
    I'd say they're even-ish now.... But next year? X by a lot is my bet.

Yeah, but 32GB, bigger screen, and wireless charging for the same price.......Idk.
    I got a 5s on the Edge program 8 days ago, and I am going to trade it for one of these, using my 14-day guarantee.
    Aquila likes this.
    11-06-2013 12:06 AM

Yup.

11-06-2013 12:11 AM
    Yeah, but 32GB, bigger screen, and wireless charging for the same price.......Idk.
    I got a 5s on the Edge program 8 days ago, and I am going to trade it for one of these, using my 14-day guarantee.
    That's part of it though. Maxx is too big to me

-Moto X-
    11-06-2013 12:36 AM
    That's rough with the estimate on moto maker being in 5 days, you're probably right about choosing between a 32gb maxx or 16 x.

11-06-2013 12:40 AM
    In a year I'm buying the X2. That's all im worried about.

11-06-2013 02:06 AM
    kitkat is designed to run on devices as low as 512 mb and google has been optimizing it for a long time. so whats the problem.
    davidnc likes this.
    11-06-2013 08:56 AM
    kitkat is designed to run on devices as low as 512 mb and google has been optimizing it for a long time. so whats the problem.
    Specs specs specs.

11-06-2013 10:44 AM
    You can't blame the phone for the amount of software you throw at it. If you have it full with crap stuff of course it would impact performance.

But even then, kit kat Is supposed to help us on that part.

Like someone said, Android is no longer hw dependant like it was before moto x.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    11-06-2013 11:24 AM

This reference is really the only good piece of information in this thread. The rest is baseless speculation. Remember that all who it concerns...

If the X had unlocked bootloaders on the majority of the devices and good dev support, this would be a non issue. But the fact is it doesn't. So X owners are at the mercy of moto to keep the software clean and the carriers to actually update the thing. If either one of those let X owners down, you are SOL. It only takes one bad update to ruin a device, as anyone that has been around a while knows.
    Roman J and Ry like this.
    11-06-2013 11:44 AM