VZW: Get now or wait for moto maker?

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Just looking for opinions to help me decide. I am happy they lowered no contract price, as I want to buy with no contract. My options are:
1. Go into a store and buy it.
2. Buy from verizon online or customer service (which I did first time the day it came out but had voice problem so promptly returned it).
3. Wait and hope it comes to moto maker soon and get from Motorola and might as well pay for the 32GB and get a navy back.

One reason I was waiting for moto maker is I like the idea that they will build to order and I'll know I am getting a freshly built device after having refined their QA and production processes. If I get from a warehouse somewhere, it could be one of the first off the line and have squeaky back or loose side buttons or overheating battery or whatever things I read complaints about when it came out. Supposedly these would be things they may have identified and corrected by now.

Hopefully moto maker will be same price as verizon and not $599.

I also wonder who's insurance is better, verizon's or motorola's. And if it's defective, is it easier to return to verizon or to motorola (at least with verizon can return in a store).

tnt118

Nov 24, 2010
Visit site
The rumor is is that MotoMaker will be available next week on the 11th. I'm in the same boat -- wanting to avoid a contract -- and at this point another week or two is a no-brainer after waiting a couple of months already. My only fear (and I'm not saying I think this is likely) is that the price drops we've seen were only temporary and it would go back up to take advantage of those who are anxious to do a MotoMaker build on day 1.

Anyways, waiting to see what happens next week seems like an easy decision to me.

jwcdis

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
Honestly if you like the Woven White/Black Backplate get it now.
Moto-Maker custom backplates are the smooth plain ones (but you can still choose the woven).

Plus Moto G might be announced soon which looks like a dumbed down version of Moto X. Might want to wait and see how that turns out.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
The rumor is is that MotoMaker will be available next week on the 11th. I'm in the same boat -- wanting to avoid a contract -- and at this point another week or two is a no-brainer after waiting a couple of months already. My only fear (and I'm not saying I think this is likely) is that the price drops we've seen were only temporary and it would go back up to take advantage of those who are anxious to do a MotoMaker build on day 1.

Anyways, waiting to see what happens next week seems like an easy decision to me.
I'm not sure I've ever seen a significant price drop come only temporarily? I'm waiting, I've waited this long, I'm not to worried about waiting for Moto Maker. I'm getting kinda interested in a wooden back anyway, and I want to see how well the radio's work with them so I may hold out until closer to Christmas anyway.

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
I am on AT&T and liked the idea of custom order, but I couldn't wait. I walked into the store and bought one.
I actually love the all white version. I have a case with gray edges and it looks and feels great.

brandonx1000

rule the air.
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
i'm eagerly awaiting to see if 32GB is a reality either through MotoMaker or VZW directly. color isn't a concern, but at $150, i'd love me some 32GB

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know about insurance? I can't find any information on motorola's site about purchasing, how much, and what it covers. Or do they not have insurance? Can I buy from moto maker and then purchase verizon's asurion?

tomatosouplabs

Sep 15, 2013
Visit site
Does anyone know about insurance? I can't find any information on motorola's site about purchasing, how much, and what it covers. Or do they not have insurance? Can I buy from moto maker and then purchase verizon's asurion?
I asked motorola online and they said it is accident coverage only, not like verizon's total equipment protection. Did anyone buy this accident insurance?

I decided to ask about moto maker coming to verizon:
me: i see. thank you. i don't suppose you have any information for when verizon gets moto maker?
him: Actually it will be soon.
(changed names to protect the innocent)

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site
Just looking for opinions to help me decide. I am happy they lowered no contract price, as I want to buy with no contract. My options are:
1. Go into a store and buy it.
2. Buy from verizon online or customer service (which I did first time the day it came out but had voice problem so promptly returned it).
3. Wait and hope it comes to moto maker soon and get from Motorola and might as well pay for the 32GB and get a navy back.

One reason I was waiting for moto maker is I like the idea that they will build to order and I'll know I am getting a freshly built device after having refined their QA and production processes. If I get from a warehouse somewhere, it could be one of the first off the line and have squeaky back or loose side buttons or overheating battery or whatever things I read complaints about when it came out. Supposedly these would be things they may have identified and corrected by now.

Hopefully moto maker will be same price as verizon and not $599.

I also wonder who's insurance is better, verizon's or motorola's. And if it's defective, is it easier to return to verizon or to motorola (at least with verizon can return in a store).

Wait... The motomaker is worth the wait because it is something that you made. My at&t motomaker has been awesome since day one and the only way I would trade it for something else would be if I could get wood as the back.

Posted via Android Central App

globster2000

Aug 22, 2013
Visit site

Insurance was 85 dollars for two years. On my receipt it says:

Accidental damage and extended mechanical coverage ? Your two years of coverage begins on the day your phone ships. You can make up to three claims of any combination of drops, spills, broken screens and mechanical failures after the manufacturer warranty expires.

I believe its 3 claims per year because there are claims for next year in motocare. $39 deductible per incident.

Posted via Android Central App

renegademoose

May 9, 2011
Visit site
i know that part. the guy above said get a 32gb for one grant. i guess i didn't understand that...haha

I was confused as well... :p

The only thing that makes me nervous is if they try and say the 32 GB is still ATT exclusvie, but the Dev phone has it so my guess would be that Verizon will as well in the moto maker.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
m1000