Hangouts + SMS

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone not received the update? I'm still not seeing it in the play store

Posted via Android Central App

Google uses staged rollouts for their updates. Over the next week or two you'll end up getting it when the rollout hits your account.

mkreef

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
I never use Hangouts, but I got the update today and there was a notification message "Touch here to setup Hangouts for SMS", which I quickly cleared. (I later started the app and noticed it prompts you again with a big splash screen... Maybe Later indeed).

Drive Assist and Motorola Connect are two of the killer features of this phone for me. Can't lose them until Hangouts works with both.

tonymhoffman

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I never use Hangouts, but I got the update today and there was a notification message "Touch here to setup Hangouts for SMS", which I quickly cleared. (I later started the app and noticed it prompts you again with a big splash screen... Maybe Later indeed).

Drive Assist and Motorola Connect are two of the killer features of this phone for me. Can't lose them until Hangouts works with both.

Punit commented on g+ that assist will work with hangouts soon.

Posted via Android Central App

joelp228

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The update will go out to other versions outside of 4.4 soon, it is just not there yet.

Here is the download for just the apk file. Just make sure that the apps from unknown sources option is checked and then open the file. It will install over your current hangouts app:
https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B-NRGC8aKn4-Sjl1SUNaamd5WUk/edit?usp=sharing&pli=1

Thanks for this info. Downloaded this APK about an hour ago because I'm tired of refreshing Google Play store lol. So far I'm loving it.

Sucks that Moto Connect does not work. Really love this feature while im at work. But not a deal breaker for me. I'm sure there will be future updates to make it compatible.

Jay Gloab

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Wish Google didn't treat Google Voice like a red-headed stepchild. I use GV exclusively for SMS (no MMS, of course, not that I really care) and it's total lack of integration with anything is very frustrating. I like Hangouts a lot and would happily use it as my only messaging app if it would only work with GV.