How is the Verizon Moto X? (Especially in NY)

TheNexusMan

Jun 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey, all. I'm this close to getting the Moto X off contract on Verizon as soon as Moto Maker becomes available, but I was reading Moto X reviews on PC Mag and they claimed the AT&T version to be slightly better (I think they said call quality and maybe speaker volume? was better, not to mention internal bands). Anyway, for those who already have it on Verizon, how is it? Are you noticing any problems with it that you think may be carrier specific? Also, I'd love to hear from anyone in the New York/Tri State area about your data speeds. I currently constantly drop out of 4g in NYC on Verizon's network, and when I actually am on 4G, my speeds aren't that impressive, but I'm on a Galaxy Nexus and I think the speed issues may be caused by the phone, not the network, so I'm curious to hear numbers and experiences from those of you on the Moto X.

Evgeshais300

Sep 5, 2013
Visit site
i'm on VZ Moto X in NYC.
As far as call quality i don't see any difference from iphone 4 that i upgraded from.
Speaker volume is fine as well.
not a single dropped call.

At Work: NYC downtown west side by the water(large corp building), desk next to window 1-3 bars on 4G at most.
Browsing and email feels 3Gish....
I used to be able to browse when at co-workers desk in the center of the building on ip4, now on moto x i cant.
As soon as i'm out of the building thou i get great speed and full 4/5 bars.
I can definitely say 3G had better building penetration as far as data goes.

This is only in the office issue, everywhere else (home etc.) i get full strength and fast speeds.
Had no problems pulling NAV data NYC to Philly, or anywhere to NJ.

I don't know if its Moto X vs. ip4 radio setups or if its 3G CDMA vs 4G LTE signal strength.

JDub313

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
I have had the Moto X on Verizon since launch day. Hands down the best smartphone I've ever owned. FYI - I have owned a Blackberry Curve, OG Droid, Galaxy Nexus, Droid Razr and the SIII. In my experience the Moto's I have owned have always gotten much better reception (both WiFi and Cell) than the Sammy's I have owned.

Just ran Speedtest here on LI. Got 8.73 down and 2.17 up.

joelp228

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
I switched from T-Mobile Nexus 4 to Verizon for the Moto X on the release date back in August. So far I have no complaints. Love Verizon's 4G service and Call quality. Amazing improvement overall so far.
I live in NJ but work in Brooklyn NY.
I have to admit that Verizon has much better service than T-Mobile everywhere that I have been to so far including work and home.
I've had no issues with call quality or bad service yet. But then again I am comparing to T-Mobile's bad service lol

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
I have the VZW Moto X and it is fantastic. The radios are very, very strong. Battery life is great. And call quality has been superb. On a recent business trip, I was walking down a busy downtown street with cars, buses and trucks roaring past me while I was on the phone with my wife. I asked her if she could hear me okay and she said, "Yeah. It's really quiet. Are you in your hotel room?"

This is hands down the best phone I've ever used. My son loves his S4, but I like the X better. I don't even use a case. It feels too good to encumber it like that. And coming from the turd known as the Galaxy Nexus, I am super impressed with how (nearly stock) Android can really be with excellent hardware.

tyd450

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I just bought the maxx off contract- I would definitely check it out if you are looking at the moto x. Hard to argue with a 3500 mah battery (and 32gb vs 16gb when I purchased... that will change once motomaker comes out most likely). I love the styling of the moto x but I also love never having to worry about my battery or finding a charger. I realize this isn't the maxx thread but I think people just completely overlook it when it is basically the same phone + a huge battery. If you pick it up and hate it then go with the X and you won't have any regrets.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fallingOutOfLoveWfithTech