For those that want to have Android Device Manager active, you need to go into security settings and make sure it's still activated. The Play upgrade a couple of weeks ago disabled this. Just noticed this on mine and have seen some mentions of this in other forums
    11-10-2013 08:17 PM
    Ok. Thanks.

Sent from my HTC One using AC Forums mobile app
    11-10-2013 09:22 PM
    For those that want to have Android Device Manager active, you need to go into security settings and make sure it's still activated. The Play upgrade a couple of weeks ago disabled this. Just noticed this on mine and have seen some mentions of this in other forums
    Thanks for the tip. I checked mine and it was indeed disabled. Excellent post.
    11-10-2013 09:27 PM
    Great find. Thanks

Posted via my MotoX
    11-10-2013 09:38 PM
    I think this is a very important thing to check, so I'm taking the liberty of bumping this in case someone is missing it on the back pages of this forum...
    11-12-2013 07:55 AM
    Regarding the Device Manager, I don't see an app for this like the they have for the iPhone. Anyone know why?

I can use a browser, but it does not work very well (the window to select device takes up half the page, etc).
    11-12-2013 07:10 PM
    Regarding the Device Manager, I don't see an app for this like the they have for the iPhone. Anyone know why?

I can use a browser, but it does not work very well (the window to select device takes up half the page, etc).
    That's because there is no app. It is a setting in security, device administrator. Then you use device manager on a browser to locate, etc
    Ry likes this.
    11-12-2013 09:09 PM
    That's because there is no app. It is a setting in security, device administrator. Then you use device manager on a browser to locate, etc
    I know there is no app -- I asked why.

If I want to locate a device from another device, it is very inconvenient doing so from the browser (even using Chrome, which I would have expected to behave the best).

At first I didn't get the point of the Find My iPhone app, until I had a wife and kids with iOS devices -- I could pick up any device and find the others. Now my wife has a Note 3 and my son a Nexus and I would like to find their devices from my Moto X. I can make do with a browser, but the UI is horrible and would prefer a device optimized app.
    11-13-2013 07:20 AM
    Do a search on the play store. There's a multitude of apps like that. Device manager is just Google's entry into that type of feature.
    11-13-2013 07:44 AM
    The gray google settings app has the device manager in it

Sent from my Nexus 10
    11-13-2013 07:52 AM
    Do a search on the play store. There's a multitude of apps like that. Device manager is just Google's entry into that type of feature.
    I'm aware of that and have used some others but I prefer to use the google built in functionality. The web app is perfect with a drop down for each device -- I can quickly switch between the location of various devices (no logging in and out of other accounts). Just needs a companion app.
    11-13-2013 10:45 AM
    Both My Devices prompted me to Turn on Device Administrators today out of the blue.

I suspect Google must have done some sort of a reset on the service, because I wasn't aware of this thread
    until I came here to the forums to search. Upon checking, both were in need of setup, even though
    I had them set up previously.
    11-13-2013 05:11 PM
    I'm aware of that and have used some others but I prefer to use the google built in functionality. The web app is perfect with a drop down for each device -- I can quickly switch between the location of various devices (no logging in and out of other accounts). Just needs a companion app.
    Update: somehow I missed the news, but the companion app launched in December, one month after I wrote the above.
    02-01-2014 11:25 AM