"only 500,000 Moto Xs sold in third quarter"

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site
Re: "only 500,000 Moto Xs sold in third quarter"

I'm not talking just from increased Android market share. I'm talking features Motorola developes making their way to the Android team, their set top box expertise going ot Android TV, Always Listening being used to improve Google's voice search, and things like that.

I seem to recall Google sold off the Set top division

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

My opinion is that they were looking for quarter 4 sales. The previous months have been a soft launch to get all the kinks out of building/shipping/payment/etc and now they will spend the advertising money for holiday sales.
No more exclusive on MotoMaker
Initial bugs squashed
Pricing appropriate
Ready to roll.

PDT816

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

My opinion is that they were looking for quarter 4 sales. The previous months have been a soft launch to get all the kinks out of building/shipping/payment/etc and now they will spend the advertising money for holiday sales.
No more exclusive on MotoMaker
Initial bugs squashed
Pricing appropriate
Ready to roll.

Apple may have changed the game somewhat, but the 4th quarter was 50% of carriers' business and a December was a bigger month than any other 3 months combined.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site

Moto is not loosing that much money actually its around 150-200 million, and that also with having only last year droid on sale at verizon ..with moto X, moto G and new droid line up ..im sure the gap will reduce and they will break even in couple of quarters .somebody mentioned that motorola loosing 100-150 million per quarter is chump change for google, it accounts to loosing few days of revenue for google :) ..From what Im seeing motorola is set up to take long term view and tasked to take risks to help push android and push the innovation race in mobile industry (the features in moto x are just the beginning) ..You will start seeing some ambitious projects from motorola in long run like project ara and many more in future ..for me motorola is the most interesting OEM ..they are the only one's who are positioned perfectly with google backing to take up ambitious projects think out of the box and bring innovation to market without worrying about failure and loosing market share/margin's ..

The question remains though - how long will Google let Motorola continue to bleed money? Google can afford it but do they want to keep footing the bill? Motorola needs to return to profitability.

NoYankees44

Dec 20, 2011
Visit site

While I do NOT think this is an accurate representation of the future of moto and the moto x, it does give cause to pay more attention to future sales and to watch for future red flags.

The one thing this does show is that the moto x is not a run away success. It may yet be a big hit, but it has sure not shaken the market like many thought it might.

I too wonder how much money Google is willing to dump into moto before the line is drawn. The coming year will show if Google wants moto to be a market leading OEM, or a minor project meant to experiment and lightly push the market.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site

Hopefully with the X2 it does better. Remember, the Galaxy S really didn't do that well, but the following year the S2 did very well.

For starters, if they actually release the phone to everyone to start with it should do better. IMO having 16GB was a no sale, and for many people the customization is what they wanted. Now that they know they can deliver, the next one probably won't be an exclusive.

PDT816

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site

Not understanding the fixation on sales figures for the Moto X. Apple and Samsung phones are made in dozens of factories for most carriers around the world. The Moto X is made in ONE factory in Ft Worth Texas and using about 33% of the factory floor. It's got 2,000 employees (maybe 50% of that involved in the actual assembly process) whose purpose is to make phones "on demand".

How many phones do you they can make under the best circumstances?
Why allow AT&T to have Moto Maker exclusivity for so long if you are worried about sales volume?
Anybody see Motorola rushing to push out the wood backs, more colors, etc in a panicked attempt to generate additional sales?

Moto X wasn't implemented to sell 3, 5 or 10 million units this year. The infrastructure that Google/Motorola put into place just isn't big enough. They couldn't make and ship that many if they wanted to.

zobog

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site

I don't really give a rats ***. As long as they keep making phones like this they have my money every two years. I doubt they will be going out of Business anytime soon.
I do not think most folks understand what this phone can do. Once the word does get out and people understand what always listening really means..
Its a game changer. But no one knows that yet. Even most techies don't get it yet but they will I think eventually.

Posted via Android Central App

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I'm not talking just from increased Android market share. I'm talking features Motorola developes making their way to the Android team, their set top box expertise going ot Android TV, Always Listening being used to improve Google's voice search, and things like that.

They sold the set-top box business.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Thank you for this.

Interesting points of view in this thread. The question I should have asked specifically is "is a 500K/month launch good enough for the Moto X as Motorola's halo/flagship phone?" given all of the restraints.

Even though the Moto X has targeted basically North America only, I fully expect Motorola to significantly grow marketshare -

comscore-sept-13.png

My predictions for the next U.S. report -

Apple 42% (propped up by the iPhone launch)
Samsung 26% (Note 3 probably selling well, plus GS4 and it's variants)
Motorola 8% (Moto X and DROID grows the share)
LG 7% (G2 and maybe the Nexus 5 helps, but does the Nexus 5 fall under LG share?)
HTC 6%
Everyone else...

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

Predictions for the next U.S. report -

Apple 42% (propped up by the iPhone launch)
Samsung 26% (Note 3 probably selling well, plus GS4 and it's variants)
Motorola 8% (Moto X and DROID grows the share)
LG 7% (G2 and maybe the Nexus 5 helps, but does the Nexus 5 fall under LG share?)
HTC 6%
Everyone else...
Are these your predictions or from an article/thread?

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Are these your predictions or from an article/thread?

Clarified my post.

I don't really give a rats ***. As long as they keep making phones like this they have my money every two years. I doubt they will be going out of Business anytime soon.
I do not think most folks understand what this phone can do. Once the word does get out and people understand what always listening really means..
Its a game changer. But no one knows that yet. Even most techies don't get it yet but they will I think eventually.

Here's the thing - if Motorola continues to bleed money, they might not have a handset to release two years from now.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

They need to market it better. If the X2 has a better camera and bigger battery they definitely have my money next year

Last edited:

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Moto benefits Google in another important way... Google Search. The touchless controls use Google Now to not only increase people's awareness of the potential of that app, but also using Google Now means using Google Search and has all of the benefits that come with scrape and aggregate to Google as if you did the search from the Web, + the anonymous behavioral patterning data that also helps improve their search results and expand their capabilities in the machine learning/neural networking fronts. How many people saw what the Moto X can do and started modifying their devices to make similar usage possible for their devices? Not a ton, probably not 1%... but every bit helps, right? That would a damned good reason to have Google Now be a central part of the Home Screen on a new device to see how direct integration encourages consumer participation. Google doesn't make a lot of decisions based solely on, "wouldn't it be nice...", but rather seems directionally tied to the data that they live in.

tx_tuff

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site

Not understanding the fixation on sales figures for the Moto X. Apple and Samsung phones are made in dozens of factories for most carriers around the world. The Moto X is made in ONE factory in Ft Worth Texas and using about 33% of the factory floor. It's got 2,000 employees (maybe 50% of that involved in the actual assembly process) whose purpose is to make phones "on demand".

How many phones do you they can make under the best circumstances?
Why allow AT&T to have Moto Maker exclusivity for so long if you are worried about sales volume?
Anybody see Motorola rushing to push out the wood backs, more colors, etc in a panicked attempt to generate additional sales?

Moto X wasn't implemented to sell 3, 5 or 10 million units this year. The infrastructure that Google/Motorola put into place just isn't big enough. They couldn't make and ship that many if they wanted to.

Was reading an article on this today and Motorola laid off 200 employees from the plant (basicly a whole assembly shift) and the jobs were expected to last into next year. That kind of proves it is not selling as good as Motorola expected it too.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

Was reading an article on this today and Motorola laid off 200 employees from the plant (basicly a whole assembly shift) and the jobs were expected to last into next year. That kind of proves it is not selling as good as Motorola expected it too.

Link please.

Aquila

Retired Moderator
Feb 24, 2012
Visit site

Another interesting point is that with the Moto X not priced like a Nexus, it's very easy for it to be a money maker. Lets say for example, they cost $200 to make and sell for $600 to keep numbers easy. If they had a total of $1,000,000,000 in sunk costs for this device (the plant, 500 mill advertising, etc), then obviously they'd need to sell 2.5 million units to break even. However much of the R&D budget and other sunk costs can be offset by the Droid line (you could develop the X8 for Droid and then just use it in the X, etc) and the TX plant can be separated because it's useful for future assembly operations.

The BOM already does include some sunk costs (they line item an R&D amount based on a projected sales volume and include it, same thing with manufacturing costs, etc) and so assuming a profit that high isn't wholly unreasonable, especially given the strategy of selling through carriers... because carriers like upgrades, rather than of contract sales. In those cases, every time you gave your $99 to Verizon or AT&T, they paid the delta to Moto by the carrier, less the markup if any, from MSRP.

It's quite possible that the X has a total sales goal of around 1 to 1.5 million by end of life to consider this a break even and successful product launch.

Vaas

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site

I hope they drop the price little more :)

I am wanting to jump to Android and the Moto X is want I want. The N5 price is great so hope the X drops little more. I can wait a month or 2 if needed, but ill be buying off contract so price is big factor.

overall I do hope they do good as competition is always good and they built a very good phone.