Question about T-mobile Moto X

vsloo

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Is the t-mobile version just contract free or is it actually unlocked where I can take it to whichever carrier I want?

Thanks in advance!

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Is the t-mobile version just contract free or is it actually unlocked where I can take it to whichever carrier I want?

Thanks in advance!

If you buy it from Motorola directly it is SIM unlocked and works on any carrier.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
If you buy it from Motorola directly it is SIM unlocked and works on any carrier.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Isn't that the only place to buy it?

I see the "T-Mobile" version as simply the GSM unlocked variant.

vsloo

Nov 6, 2013
Visit site
Thanks! The moto live chat rep didn't know anything... He said I can't use the t-mo no contract device anywhere else but t-mo. Kinda defeats the purpose of "no contract".

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
Thanks! The moto live chat rep didn't know anything... He said I can't use the t-mo no contract device anywhere else but t-mo. Kinda defeats the purpose of "no contract".

The T-Mobile one from Motorola.Com is definitely SIM unlocked.

Sent from my Nexus 5

kembry

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
Okay, let me ask another question very related to this one. I'm currently on AT&T but am jumping to T-Mobile because of price. My wife and I both have Nexus 4s which we will be giving to our children. I want the N5 because I'm a nerd, but I think my wife would do better with the Moto X mostly because of battery life. She would really like the customization from MotoMaker, but I want her to have a phone that could be used on an AT&T MVNO in case our reception with T-Mobile is abysmal. Is there a difference between the GSM Developer Edition and the T-Mobile Moto X?

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Okay, let me ask another question very related to this one. I'm currently on AT&T but am jumping to T-Mobile because of price. My wife and I both have Nexus 4s which we will be giving to our children. I want the N5 because I'm a nerd, but I think my wife would do better with the Moto X mostly because of battery life. She would really like the customization from MotoMaker, but I want her to have a phone that could be used on an AT&T MVNO in case our reception with T-Mobile is abysmal. Is there a difference between the GSM Developer Edition and the T-Mobile Moto X?

I have looked online at the radios included in the GSM developer edition and the T-Mobile version and they seem to be identical. They both look to have 3G support for bands 1, 2, 4, 5 and 8 and 4G support for bands 2, 4 and 17. The only difference seems to be the physical which means the dev edition only comes with a black front/white back and Developer Edition stamped on the back. The T-Mobile version can be ordered in the standard white or black to customized through Moto Maker. Since you would be purchasing for full price I didn't look to see if there was a price difference between the two versions.

If anyone see any errors in my information please correct.

kembry

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
One more question. Is the T-mobile version SIM locked or unlocked? If it is SIM locked, are the codes available to have it unlocked? I chatted with Motorola tech support and she(?) didn't have a clue.

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
Seeing as the phone would be purchased full price I don't see why Tmo wouldn't unlock the SIM. I've never had to do it before so maybe someone can chime in as to difficulty.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

kembry

Nov 30, 2010
Visit site
At the risk of asking the obvious, what is the advantage of getting the Developer Edition over the T-Mobile version?

Posted via Android Central App

jedah

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
At the risk of asking the obvious, what is the advantage of getting the Developer Edition over the T-Mobile version?

Posted via Android Central App

I think a couple week ago, the answer was it comes with 32GB. Now, I think there is no advantage since I believe both come with unlocked bootloader (or are unlockable?). Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

anthony2558

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Your are right. Also to note, now that moto maker is available to all carriers we to can get 32gigs of storage.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kerokekerol