Hey AC Community! I was hoping you could give me your opinion of whether or not the specs of this phone will hold up over the course of a two year contract? Thanks!

Posted via Android Central App
    11-13-2013 07:28 PM
    I think we will be fine. This phone is about optimization and not specs. We could have the latest and greatest spec wise in a phone but if it's not optimized well then it's not going to last. I believe that this phone will be just as fluid 2 years from now as it is now. Just my opinion...
    11-13-2013 07:31 PM
    Yeah what the hell we could use ANOTHER thread about specs

-Moto X-
    11-13-2013 07:32 PM
    Yeah, believe me, I know we have enough of those. Just wanted to make sure though. My contract is up February, so it'll be a while before I get my hands on one. Just want to be sure that it won't be obsolete in a year.

11-13-2013 07:36 PM
    The X8 is well optimized, and we have enhanced TRIM support (better functioning even if your ram/storage is full, device old), and when ART comes out of beta with the next android version (hopefully). It shouldn't be a problem.
    In fact I think the Moto X will hold over two years better than the S4, G2, One.
    radgatt likes this.
    11-13-2013 07:38 PM
    It's between this and the G2, and while the G2 had better specs, something just keeps calling me back to the X. Just don't know what it is.

11-13-2013 07:57 PM
    something just keeps calling me back to the X. Just don't know what it is.
    its called common sense
    the X will triumph over all these phones in over a year, like everyone says (even moto's engineers) its not about specs, its about how you optimize the hardware. you will not be disappointed.
    11-13-2013 08:26 PM
    It's between this and the G2, and while the G2 had better specs, something just keeps calling me back to the X. Just don't know what it is.

Smaller size? active notifications? touches controls? close to stock android? Hopefully fast updates?

Sent from my Nexus 7
    shaytoon21 likes this.
    11-13-2013 08:27 PM
    Hey AC Community! I was hoping you could give me your opinion of whether or not the specs of this phone will hold up over the course of a two year contract? Thanks!

The minimum system requirements for KitKat are lower than Jellybean. Google is starting to optimize Android for low end devices, which will be about where the X is now in two years. You don't need to worry about the Moto X holding up over two years.

Stang68 and radgatt like this.
    11-13-2013 08:32 PM
    Smaller size? active notifications? touches controls? close to stock android? Hopefully fast updates?

Sent from my Nexus 7
    That would be my guess as to why he is so tempted by the Moto X. I believe the updates being fast would be the most tempting thing.
    11-13-2013 08:37 PM
    With all the global warming going on, the Earth won't be around in 2 years, so it doesn't really matter.
    RedLux, weksa, JRDroid and 3 others like this.
    11-13-2013 08:41 PM

kitkat is optimized for phones with low spec and 512 mb ram so Yes you will be fine for 2 years
    11-13-2013 10:26 PM
    With all its software/hardware optimizations, I think that it will be one of the best functioning 2 year old phones around
    TechTinker and still1 like this.
    11-13-2013 10:33 PM
    I'm not worried about the specs. KitKat will keep this bird humming for a while.

Besides...I only keep a phone for about a year anyways
    11-14-2013 02:12 AM
    Thanks for the replies. Like I said, my contract will be up right around the time the S5 should be coming. I'm actually hoping the S5 isn't that impressive so that my decision will be easier to make

11-14-2013 07:38 AM
    The S5 should come out around April- May like last year. But, the HTC flagship M8 should be coming around March from what I understand. Maybe called the "HTC One Two"

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    11-14-2013 07:51 AM
    Thanks for the replies. Like I said, my contract will be up right around the time the S5 should be coming. I'm actually hoping the S5 isn't that impressive so that my decision will be easier to make

The S5 will likely launch in May (GS3 and GS4 both did) and that is 7 months from now. If I were due for an upgrade in May, unless I desperately needed a new phone, I'd try and hold out for the X2, since it will likely launch in fall (maybe earlier, the X was supposed to launch early and was delayed IIRC). Is it worth a 2 year contract now and is it worth a 2 year contract 7 months from now are two very, very different questions IMO.
    11-14-2013 07:54 AM
    Yeah, believe me, I know we have enough of those. Just wanted to make sure though. My contract is up February, so it'll be a while before I get my hands on one. Just want to be sure that it won't be obsolete in a year.

I love my Moto X, However I stand firm by my Rule. NEVER Buy a Phone on a 2 year contract that was released in excess of 6 months prior to your purchase.

Good news for you Moto X came out in August 23

Aug-Sept
    Sept-Oct
    Oct-Nov
    Nov-Dec
    Dec-Jan
    Jan-Feb

So as long as you buy it before Feb 23 you are within my 6 month window
    11-14-2013 01:44 PM
    Every phone will be technologically obsolete within 6 months. That doesn't mean you'll be any less happy with the Moto X than you are now.

TRIM support on Android should promise solid performance going forward.
    Ry likes this.
    11-14-2013 01:51 PM
    Fine. My 2 1/2 year old phone works great still, even compared to my 1 year old phone. Today's phones are even better specced. It will be just fine.
    11-14-2013 02:10 PM