So I've had my Moto X for about a week now (standard 16gb woven black back), and noticed something weird last night. I have the Verizon version, and on the back where the Verizon logo is, if I grip it hard or push directly on the logo, you can hear a distinct "sticking" sound (imagine pulling scotch tape off of something or a small air bubble bursting), and the back will indent a solid 2-3mm (it doesn't do this anywhere else on the phone; taking pressure of this area the phone goes back to its normal shape). If I roll my finger across the area, I hear several of what I described above.

The phone still works great (and I love it), but I've never had a phone whose back wasn't flush against the innards of the phone and am curious if this is just an issue with my phone or is a design issue?

Edit: I took a video using it that captures the sound (but since the phone is recording, I can't record where I press) -- ignore the mic static; you can clearly hear the "popping" I'm talking about at 4 seconds in.

Edit 2: Found a thread over at xda detailing the same issue. Seems to be a design flaw, but curious if it's on all Moto X's, all Verizon Moto X's, or just random ones?

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show...30&postcount=3
    11-13-2013 09:18 PM
    I blame Verizon!!!!!
    TechTinker likes this.
    11-13-2013 09:27 PM
    From what I know, I think it a slight design flaw. I have seen other people have this issue, and during a take-apart the back in stuck on with glue and tape, and in order to get the curve just right there is 'freespace'. Thats just guessing though.
    11-13-2013 09:46 PM
    From what I know, I think it a slight design flaw. I have seen other people have this issue, and during a take-apart the back in stuck on with glue and tape, and in order to get the curve just right there is 'freespace'. Thats just guessing though.
    Yeah, watching the ifixit video, it seems to happen right where the end of the adhesive pad is (look at 2:03). Still curious if this is on all Moto X's or just a few with bad adhesive maybe?

11-13-2013 09:57 PM
    In that teardown video, what's up with what they call the "inductive charging coil"? Does the Moto X actually have a hidden wireless charging feature? It does not activate my Nokia Qi pad, unfortunately. Or is that actually the NFC coil?

Paul
    11-14-2013 07:09 AM
    It must not be all vzw Moto X's mine doesn't make that sound .
    11-14-2013 07:22 AM
    I have a T-Mobile moto x and it has the same problem. I posted a thread about it a few weeks ago.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-14-2013 08:53 AM
    Mine does it. I have the same 16gb woven black on VZW. Mine also makes the weird clicking/rattling sound when it vibrates or on haptic feedback. That seems to be coming from the top of the phone. If I tap on the back of the phone above the camera lens it makes that rattling sound, almost like something is loose inside the phone.
    11-14-2013 08:53 AM
    Mine does it. I have the same 16gb woven black on VZW. Mine also makes the weird clicking/rattling sound when it vibrates or on haptic feedback. That seems to be coming from the top of the phone. If I tap on the back of the phone above the camera lens it makes that rattling sound, almost like something is loose inside the phone.
    I talked with a Motorola rep and they said they weren't aware of any issues. I feel like such a baby for complaining about the crackling by the bottom of the phone, compared to rattling by the camera lens.

I also feel like a baby for whining, since my first Android phone, a Galaxy S I, was so plasticky that it would creak whenever I held it. Hopefully Motogoogle will come up with a manufacturing fix.
    11-14-2013 04:58 PM
    I also have this issue on my 16gb black woven At&t moto x. About two months in started happening. Nothing compared to the brutal power button rattle on my n5.

Edit: mine isnt as bad as the video. Mine makes one simple pop when you press down on the att logo and let up.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk 2
    11-14-2013 05:10 PM
    How hard are you guys pressing in your phones? Its plastic so id imagine its gonna have some give in places. Dont press on it

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    11-14-2013 05:35 PM
    How hard are you guys pressing in your phones? Its plastic so id imagine its gonna have some give in places. Dont press on it
    Agreed. I have had my phone since launch and this is the first time I've noticed it. They only reason I noticed it is I took off my case and deliberately pushed on the ATT logo. For me this is really a non problem.
    11-14-2013 05:52 PM
    if I grip it hard or push directly on the logo
    Seriously, how is this an issue? Why would you do that or hold your phone that way?
    11-14-2013 05:58 PM
    I tried this out after reading the thread. If I press down really hard it makes a sticky noise but there would be no reason for me to do that so I don't really care

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app
    11-14-2013 09:32 PM

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I717 using Tapatalk 2
    I agree with you. It doesn't really bother me, not nearly as much as the rattle. But I'm outside my 2 week window so there's not much I can do about that.
    11-14-2013 10:19 PM