So how water-resistant is the Moto X?

bd1212

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone had their Moto X fall into a pool or a toiler or a sink? I'm just wondering how resistant it really is. I saw a video from Squaretrade where they tested it against a few phones, but the water test was very brief.

Anyone personal stories that anyone can tell?

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
They're sure not made to be used underwater. I believe the circuit boards and components are coated with a water repellent coating. It's not sealed against water. It should survive a quick dunk, but I wouldn't expect it to make it for a prolonged submersion. I think the biggest plus is it protects them from sweaty pockets and things like that.

bd1212

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
They're sure not made to be used underwater. I believe the circuit boards and components are coated with a water repellent coating. It's not sealed against water. It should survive a quick dunk, but I wouldn't expect it to make it for a prolonged submersion. I think the biggest plus is it protects them from sweaty pockets and things like that.

That's why I said water-resistant and not waterproof. I was just wondering to what degree can the Moto X be submerged without damaging the phone. Obviously this is a difficult thing to test, but that's why I asked if anyone had an personal stories of accidents with water.

Kamron Erani

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site

mweba

Oct 13, 2012
Visit site
Wife dropped her X in the toilet the first week. Shut it down, threw it in a bag of rice over night and not an issue to peak of yet (couple months now).

bd1212

Oct 14, 2010
Visit site
I don't have any personal stories but this should give you an idea:
iPhone 5c vs. iPhone 5s vs. Moto X vs. Samsung S4 SquareTrade Drop Test - YouTube

That's the Squaretrade video that I said I had already watched in the OP. The dunk test was really brief, hence why I was asking if anyone had any personal stories to tell, like the one below.

Wife dropped her X in the toilet the first week. Shut it down, threw it in a bag of rice over night and not an issue to peak of yet (couple months now).

Good to hear, thanks for posting! Anyone else?

RicanMedic78

Jan 29, 2011
Visit site
is there a way to get official confirmation on how water resistant this phone is??? I cant for the life of me understand why this is not something officially explained by Motorola! Now I dont know if I can use this phone on a light rainy day and feel safe! Should be explained!

Chaubacca

Feb 19, 2014
Visit site
Dropped my Moto X in a sink full of water last week.

1) Turned it off and on after drying it (mistake--don't do that) and the cellular signal wasn't registering;
2) Let the phone sit in a bag of rice overnight (just six-seven hours), turned it back on and it seemed fine, but after a few minutes, the cellular service cut out again.
3) So I put it back in the back of rice and left the phone in there for a total of almost 48 hours.

Took it out, and it was fine. Like nothing happened. I think the moisture in the phone was ruining the cellular service. Once it tried, everything seemed normal again. It has been almost a week and the phone has been awesome--like nothing happened.

My recommendation if you drop it in water is to be patience and let it dry.

imurrx

Sep 17, 2013
Visit site
I dropped mine in wet snow threw weeks ago and dried it off immediately. It's amazing how quick snow it melted on the phone.

The speaker was raspy for a few days and it went back to normal. no other uses since then.

Posted via Android Central App

Anirudh GP

Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I run with my Moto x in my hand when it's raining and nothing has happened so far. I've gotten it wet twice or thrice in the rain!! In case anything happens the bag of rice will surely be helpful in draining the water out!

Clocks

Aug 27, 2010
Visit site
is there a way to get official confirmation on how water resistant this phone is??? I cant for the life of me understand why this is not something officially explained by Motorola! Now I dont know if I can use this phone on a light rainy day and feel safe! Should be explained!
It has the same internal coating at the DROID line, which Motorola describes as:

"Water resistant coating keeps spills, puddles, and rain from being panic-worthy"

Evilnut

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I work outside for a living. I use my phone when its raining and sometimes I'm using a wet saw and when I pull it from my pocket it is damp. I've had it since February of this year. I use a case on it that covers the buttons but the headphone jack and charging port are not covered. I also use a screen protector. My phone has got what I consider fairly wet many times. I've never had any issues with it.

Posted via Android Central App from a beautiful Ebony backed Moto X or the amazing Nexus 10

grn4frk

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I went tubing down the New River Saturday and left my phone in my pocket. It was in the water for a minute or two max before I realized it but it never stopped playing music over Bluetooth or had any problems besides the speaker being wet but that cleared up after a few hours. In contrast, my Buddie put his 4S in a cupholder that had maybe a 3/8" inch of water in it late Saturday afternoon too except his still won't turn on. I think the X has great water Resistance abilities.

Posted via the Android Central App

Shawn Teague1

Oct 31, 2014
Visit site
NOT WATERPROOF

Wife dropped her 2 month old android in the (not yet used) toilet at the doctors office. She quickly got it and out dried off and put it in her purse. Two hours later, DEAD phone.

Warranty expressly deny's any help for water of any kind even "Excessive humidity".

Slashyou

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
NOT WATERPROOF

Wife dropped her 2 month old android in the (not yet used) toilet at the doctors office. She quickly got it and out dried off and put it in her purse. Two hours later, DEAD phone.

Warranty expressly deny's any help for water of any kind even "Excessive humidity".

What phone was it? the 2013 or 2014?

jeffe007

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
I dropped my 2013 moto x in the toilet. It went all the way in. I patted it off, alcohol coated it or disinfection, and it just kept going and I'm typing on it now..... Just FYI

jeffe007

Jul 18, 2013
Visit site
Oh and the moisture sensor is still white. Means its seen zero moisture. FYI, the sensor is in the Sim slot. Eject the Sim and tray, look into the slot and you'll see a white spot. If its pink, its been wet and warranty is void. If white, you're OK.

ov103

Oct 26, 2014
Visit site
My wife mistakenly left my Moto X in my jeans and it went through an entire wash cycle. When it came out of course I turned it off and left it in rice for two weeks. That said, the phone works perfectly.