Anyone coming from a Nexus?

xpeacemaker

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide on my next phone. Right now I'm on a VZ GNex. This is my first Nexus. Before it, I had a Droid X. Wasn't too pleased w/ the dev support there. But enter the Nexus, and WHOA. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the rom's and support.

That being said, I am ready for a new phone. This phone is showing its age and wrinkles at this point. I like just about everything in the Moto X except for the dev support and the fact that I know VZ will hold up any/all updates. There are almost no ROMs for this phone at the moment...

Curious for previous Nexus owners, do you miss the ROM support? Do you love the phone? Any regrets? Any dislikes? Are you still in the honeymoon phase?

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
I've had my Moto X for about a month coming from a VZ Gnex.

I love this phone and don't miss CM or other ROMs much.

You'll love the battery life and an almost pure android look. The tweaks Motorola did on the phone are very good, and mostly transparent.

No regrets at all

Posted via Android Central App

lgGslateuser

Feb 15, 2011
Visit site
Just ordered my Moto X a few minutes ago. Got the white one for free on-line with code given to me by Verizon customer service chat. 14 days to test it and see if it's worth signing the 2 year contract.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using AC Forums mobile app

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
I've had my Moto X for about a month coming from a VZ Gnex.

I love this phone and don't miss CM or other ROMs much.

You'll love the battery life and an almost pure android look. The tweaks Motorola did on the phone are very good, and mostly transparent.

No regrets at all

+1

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide on my next phone. Right now I'm on a VZ GNex. This is my first Nexus. Before it, I had a Droid X. Wasn't too pleased w/ the dev support there. But enter the Nexus, and WHOA. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the rom's and support.

That being said, I am ready for a new phone. This phone is showing its age and wrinkles at this point. I like just about everything in the Moto X except for the dev support and the fact that I know VZ will hold up any/all updates. There are almost no ROMs for this phone at the moment...

Curious for previous Nexus owners, do you miss the ROM support? Do you love the phone? Any regrets? Any dislikes? Are you still in the honeymoon phase?

There aren't many ROMs cause there isn't much to be improved upon. Its already near stock Android, its already heavily optimized, and Moto added in a lot of cool features that you would need to ROM other phones to have. If there isn't much room for improvement, the devs will spend their time on another phone that needs a ROM worse (I'm looking at you GS4!)

xpeacemaker

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
There is always room for improvements. The UI is not perfect by any means. It is good being nearly stock android, but there is room for improvements from Devs...

How useful is the driving feature?

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
Motorola devs are the only devs I care about. Did the community Dev support thing for the last 3 years and I'm done with that chapter.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Why? I have nothing but positive things to say about the dev/nexus experience. It was truly eye opening.

I've also has nothing but positive experiences with my One, but I also want to put those days behind me. Setting up my phone every few weeks, always searching for the latest ROM, it all just gets old and gets in the way of me just enjoying my phone.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

I've had the phone for two and a half months now, the honeymoon is long over, and I still have no regrets. I don't care about ROMs at all anymore; I don't feel a need for them. My phone's not even rooted anymore. It was for a while, but then I unrooted later. This phone is incredible as is.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I've also has nothing but positive experiences with my One, but I also want to put those days behind me. Setting up my phone every few weeks, always searching for the latest ROM, it all just gets old and gets in the way of me just enjoying my phone.

Right. "The ROM experience" eventually becomes an endless search for perfection. There's always something new to flash to tweak the phone. It seems that it's never possible to be fully satisfied.

I don't want or need any of that anymore.

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I certainly won't miss having to hear that ROMs are the cure to everything (mostly just to impatience) and why did I buy this phone if I am not planning on flashing ROMs....

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site
Hey guys,

I'm trying to decide on my next phone. Right now I'm on a VZ GNex. This is my first Nexus. Before it, I had a Droid X. Wasn't too pleased w/ the dev support there. But enter the Nexus, and WHOA. I LOVE LOVE LOVE the ROMs and support.

I had a GNexus as well got it the day it was available.I also had it rooted and romed.I flashed alot of Roms.
I got the Moto X mainly at first just because of its size .I also knew for a vzw phone it didnt have as much bloatware as other vzw phones.
I found out later about active notifications and touchless controls and now dont think i would want a phone without that.
I did root my Moto X with motoroot but didnt leave it rooted long.This phone is smooth its nothing like the DX was when you almost had to root that phone.
Im totally stock and really havent wanted to root it again .I dont think they are any Roms out for it anyhoo.
As others have said its almost perfect the way it is.
I did disable some bloat and apps that were safe to,, that I dont use but thats it.
I have had this phone since Sept 11,2013 and still no regrets.
sent from Moto X

rltripp

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
I have to agree with everyone else here. I came from a GNex to the Moto X. My GNex got flashed just about every week in my search for the perfect ROM. My Moto X hasn't even been rooted yet. I don't even have the desire to do it. The phone is pretty much perfect for my needs, and I have absolutely no regrets about making the switch.

xpeacemaker

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Do you guys wish you had a bigger screen or a removable battery?

I saw the LG G2 and the screen is absolutely gorgeous. I couldn't stop staring at it. The camera was amazing as well. But the size, holy damn.

How is your phone w/ a case on it?

grooks

Jun 2, 2010
Visit site
I think 4.7" screen is a good size. I could go higher but don't really want the footprint to increase that much.

I also have the GNex but didn't swap out battery very often. If there ever came a time I needed extra juice to get me through the day I have an external battery I keep charged. It's a 10,000 mAh so gives me plenty of peace of mind.

I would agree that the G2 screen is very nice to look at but the offset is shorter battery life for phones (other than G2) that don't have a 3,000 mAh battery.

Since I like the footprint of the phone, I try to put on the smallest case possible. My regular case is an Incipio Feather and also have an Areser QuickSand.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MickTavia