Moto X and Verizon unlimited data

jayds74

Jan 11, 2011
Visit site
I leave NOTHING to chance in regard to my Verizon Unlimited data.
I bought my Moto X (last week) as off-contract, even though I have a Verizon account. I did not indicate that I was an "existing customer."
Phone shipped to me in 2 days.
Without doing a thing to it, I walked the phone over to my local Verizon store. Told the associate very specifically that I do not want to lose my unlimited data.
He switched my phone's service from my Bionic to the Moto X...no change in plan, unlimited still intact.

I leave nothing to chance online or over the phone...if an associate f's up my unlimited data, they're going to do it while they're in arm's reach of me. ;)

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
I bought my Moto X (last week) as off-contract, even though I have a Verizon account. I did not indicate that I was an "existing customer."
you only indicate you are an existing customer if you are using an upgrade. If you are buying off contract, you just indicate no contract.

Phone shipped to me in 2 days.
Without doing a thing to it, I walked the phone over to my local Verizon store. Told the associate very specifically that I do not want to lose my unlimited data.
He switched my phone's service from my Bionic to the Moto X...no change in plan, unlimited still intact.
When you buy a no contract phone, there is no way to lose your UDP. You don't need to go into the store, you can activate it at home. You just turn it on.

I avoid the stores because they try to convince you to switch plans and I don't trust them doing it. It is much safer to do it yourself by simply turning the phone on.

asianguy80

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Doesn't the mx use a nano Sim? That means you can just swap it out unless you have an adapter?

I was able to keep my unlimited plans when upgrading in store on my kids lines upgrades. However, in store they are willing to put you on a 6gb plan instead of the 2gb if coming from unlimited. This needs to be done in a corporate store, and if the trip says it doesn't exist, ask for a different rep.

Posted via Android Central App

The Moto X came with a nano SIM installed already and I just activated that SIM and still retained my unlimited data.

asianguy80

May 7, 2012
Visit site
Motorola uses Best Buy's system for ordering through Moto Maker and there is a glitch in the Best Buy system that lets you not select a new data plan and as long as you don't use the SIM that ships with the phone to activate the phone, you will keep your UDP. So it is tied to the SIM card that ships with the phone, not the IMEI number of the phone.

Ah I see. I only recently jumped onto the LTE bandwagon within the last year so I wasn't too familiar on how it all worked with regards to retaining unlimited data.

Cozume

Banned
Jan 25, 2014
Visit site
Purchased a no contract Moto X at the sale price.
Ok, well you never lose unlimited data when you buy a no contract phone. It is only when you buy a phone on contract at the subsidized price that you are at risk of losing your unlimited data.

The sale price is still full retail; it's just full retail on sale.

JFS83

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
I was able to keep unlimited data on my penny purchase of the phone on contract by using a upgrade eligible non smart phone. Did what Verizon and others suggested. Bought it against other line. Activated it against other line. Then 30 mins later deactivated it against that line and put the original non smart phone back. Then I took the X and moved to my primary line and was able to keep my unlimited data.

Tom in Bristol

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
I was able to keep unlimited data on my penny purchase of the phone on contract by using the number of a different upgrade eligible smart phone on my account when placing the order through Motomaker. When it arrived I called *611 and had them activate it on the number of the Bionic I was retiring instead of the number used during the order. When it was up and running (test call etc) I asked to confirm that Unlimited data was still in place on both numbers...it was.

Since then I have been online in my VZW account and double-checked that all was well...it was/is.

There's less than 2 hours left on the penny deal...hurry up! :cool:

David Coconut

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I realize many people are satisfied with Verizon and are happy to continue to with their unlimited plans. What I don't understand is that you are paying a premium price for the service. The plan price includes (hidden of course) the payback of the subsidy. Why not just go with a carrier that will give ample data and a much better price? I went with tmobile on their $30 plan. It is unlimited data up until 5 gb, then they throttle you. You also get Unlimited texting BUT only 100 minutes talk. To circumvent that I use a VoIP app for outgoing calls. I am SO pleased to have great service and only pay $30 per month. I was paying over $88 for Verizon (one line). I usually am either in South Florida or Metro NYC and service has been excellent.

Jaingo5150

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Some of us are grandfathered into better packages and prices.... It's not always better to jump from one provider to the next based only on sticker price. There are lots and lots of variables that cause people to stay or move.

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I realize many people are satisfied with Verizon and are happy to continue to with their unlimited plans. What I don't understand is that you are paying a premium price for the service. The plan price includes (hidden of course) the payback of the subsidy. Why not just go with a carrier that will give ample data and a much better price? I went with tmobile on their $30 plan. It is unlimited data up until 5 gb, then they throttle you. You also get Unlimited texting BUT only 100 minutes talk. To circumvent that I use a VoIP app for outgoing calls. I am SO pleased to have great service and only pay $30 per month. I was paying over $88 for Verizon (one line). I usually am either in South Florida or Metro NYC and service has been excellent.

For some people, Verizon provides substantially better performance where they need it. Some also want the best total network coverage.

In my case I have 5 lines of service with 2 smartphones including one with unlimited unthrottled 4GLTE and 3 dumb phones. I pay $140 per month on the 550 minute legacy family loyalty share plan. While the tmobile plan offers more, it is on stuff I don't need.

Verizon
$3,360.00 =$140.00/mox24(Monthly Fee for 5 lines for 24 months)
$1,000.00 =$200.00X 5(Cost of Subsidized iPhones for 5 lines)
$150.00=$30.00X 5(Cost of Upgrade fee for 5 lines)

$4,510.00Verizon Total for 2 years with 5 phones

T-Mobile
$3,120.00 =$130.00/moX24(Monthly Fee for 5 lines for 24 months)
$3,250.00 =$650.00X5(Cost of Unsubsidized iPhones for 5 lines)

$6,370.00T-Mobile Total for 2 years with 5 phones

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

dpham00

Moderator Team VP
Apr 23, 2011
Visit site
I'll stick with tmobile for $720 for 2 years. I think my Moto X should give me 2 years of service.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Sure, they tmobile $30 5gb plan is excellent, if it works for you. I was just explaining why I won't be moving to tmobile.

Sent from my Verizon Samsung Galaxy Note 3 via Tapatalk Pro

David Coconut

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I understand completely. Everyone has different priorities. Another important decision in choosing a carrier is their footprint in the area you'll be using the phone. I used to have a house in the Poconos and the only carrier that worked there was Nextel! My Verizon phone was non functional. This was about 8 years ago.

radgatt

Apr 19, 2010
Visit site
I understand completely. Everyone has different priorities. Another important decision in choosing a carrier is their footprint in the area you'll be using the phone. I used to have a house in the Poconos and the only carrier that worked there was Nextel! My Verizon phone was non functional. This was about 8 years ago.

I am on Verizon because it works in my area. I get 4GLTE where I live with Verizon. My friend has T-Mobile and he can't buy a signal and we live in the same area. Unlimited unthrottled data is great. I live in a town of around 10,000 people and T-Mobile can't even get EDGE here. It's all about the coverage. Once T-Mobile steps their coverage up then I'd consider giving up my data. If and only if...

David Coconut

Dec 16, 2013
Visit site
I seriously doubt they will invest in the infrastructure due to the low population. Tmobile is great in highly populated areas. Verizon has the best coverage overall and that's why you pay top dollar for their coverage.