11-29-2013 10:17 AM
141 12345 ...
tools
    The last update was rolled out to the full user population two days after the soak test was initiated. So we might be surprised (and gifted) by the speed this time, too.
    Well I hope you guys do
    I'm still waiting on Kit Kat ROMs for my S4
    11-19-2013 09:57 AM
    I do not think that is what Nexus means, at least not any more. Nexus means affordable, straight from Google, with Google's vision of Android (which is no longer AOSP). The Moto X is very close to that, and would almost qualify as a "Google Play edition" device in my opinion, but it is decidedly not a Nexus. I think the only reason there isn't a Google Play Edition Moto X is because you wouldn't gain anything and you'd lose a lot.
    Well as far as affordable I agree with you. The moto x is not afforable and nexus's usually are....But google vision of android is currently on my Moto X right now and not on my Nexus 7 2013 yet....That is correct I am running 4.4 Kitkat on my Verizon Moto X and my Nexus 7 2013 still has not received the OTA. I recieved the SOAK test for my Moto X and got it yesterday. So as far as Nexus's devices getting Google vision of android First and foremost..that isnt the case. At least this year.
    11-19-2013 10:02 AM
    Well as far as affordable I agree with you. The moto x is not afforable and nexus's usually are....But google vision of android is currently on my Moto X right now and not on my Nexus 7 2013 yet....That is correct I am running 4.4 Kitkat on my Verizon Moto X and my Nexus 7 2013 still has not received the OTA. I recieved the SOAK test for my Moto X and got it yesterday. So as far as Nexus's devices getting Google vision of android First and foremost..that isnt the case. At least this year.
    4.4 =/= Google's vision of Android. If you have Touchless control, trusted bluetooth devices, active notifications, and all the other Motorola add ins, then you are not running Google's vision of Android. Motorola's Android implementation may be much closer to Google's (and in my opinion, superior to Google's) than most carriers, but the fact remains that it is Motorola's implementation of Android and not Google's. The Nexus 5 is running Google's vision of what Android should be. It is similar to Motorola's, but definitely different.

Side note: If you have a FitBit and could test if you can sync it with the FitBit app now that the Moto X has 4.4, I would be incredibly greatful.
    11-19-2013 10:07 AM
    Where will the t-mobile variant of the moto x be getting 4.4 updates? From t-mobile? Is this going to happen?
    11-19-2013 10:10 AM
    4.4 =/= Google's vision of Android. If you have Touchless control, trusted bluetooth devices, active notifications, and all the other Motorola add ins, then you are not running Google's vision of Android. Motorola's Android implementation may be much closer to Google's (and in my opinion, superior to Google's) than most carriers, but the fact remains that it is Motorola's implementation of Android and not Google's. The Nexus 5 is running Google's vision of what Android should be. It is similar to Motorola's, but definitely different.

Side note: If you have a FitBit and could test if you can sync it with the FitBit app now that the Moto X has 4.4, I would be incredibly greatful.
    I totally agree the Nexus 5 4.4 is WAY different than Moto X's 4.4 But why is the Nexus 5 4.4 different than my Nexus 10's 4.4? It almost seems as if the Nexus 5 is now PURELY Google's android vision...They seem to push any other device to the backside. But yes I agree the Nexus program is Google's Vision on android. The nexus 5 more specifically. But my point is basically The Moto X is not a NEXUS device per say. But it is danm close to one when you take a look at it. It isn't branded NEXUS and it is not Supported by the Nexus product but for all intent and purposes it is somewhat a NEXUS device or GPE device. And FitBit? I never heard of it what exactly is it?
    11-19-2013 10:13 AM
    I totally agree the Nexus 5 4.4 is WAY different than Moto X's 4.4 But why is the Nexus 5 4.4 different than my Nexus 10's 4.4? It almost seems as if the Nexus 5 is now PURELY Google's android vision...They seem to push any other device to the backside. But yes I agree the Nexus program is Google's Vision on android. The nexus 5 more specifically. But my point is basically The Moto X is not a NEXUS device per say. But it is danm close to one when you take a look at it. It isn't branded NEXUS and it is not Supported by the Nexus product but for all intent and purposes it is somewhat a NEXUS device or GPE device. And FitBit? I never heard of it what exactly is it?
    It is a fitness activity tracker. It can sync to iPhone, Samsung devices, and most Android phones with Bluetooth 4.0 and Android 4.3+. However, there are some devices (HTC One for example) that meet the BT 4.0 requirement and Android 4.3 requirement, but due to missing BT libraries, still cannot sync with the FitBit app. I'm hoping the Moto X doesn't have that issue because I lost my dongle to sync it with my PC and am tired of borrowing my wife's iPhone to sync it.
    11-19-2013 10:16 AM
    I have fitbit, however my AT&T Moto X does not have 4.4 yet. When it does, I will be checking to see if it will sync. I just got notified from Fitbit that I am in the beta for there app that will run on Nexus, so will be updating my N7 and testing sync.
    11-19-2013 10:19 AM
    It is a fitness activity tracker. It can sync to iPhone, Samsung devices, and most Android phones with Bluetooth 4.0 and Android 4.3+. However, there are some devices (HTC One for example) that meet the BT 4.0 requirement and Android 4.3 requirement, but due to missing BT libraries, still cannot sync with the FitBit app. I'm hoping the Moto X doesn't have that issue because I lost my dongle to sync it with my PC and am tired of borrowing my wife's iPhone to sync it.
    Not a problem, being a SOAK test participant I am glad to test these things out. I am doing it right now as I type. will let you know
    11-19-2013 10:19 AM
    Not a problem, being a SOAK test participant I am glad to test these things out. I am doing it right now as I type. will let you know
    Not sure if you'll be able to test it without a FitBit device, but the effort is appriciated none the less!
    11-19-2013 10:23 AM
    Not sure if you'll be able to test it without a FitBit device, but the effort is appriciated none the less!
    My wife has a Fitbit sleep and activity wristband but has not ever hooked it up and forgot about it. I didn't understand it really untill I pulled it out of the closet after reading your first post asking to check it out. So i will get back to you I am testing it out now.
    11-19-2013 10:25 AM
    My wife has a Fitbit sleep and activity wristband but has not ever hooked it up and forgot about it. I didn't understand it really untill I pulled it out of the closet after reading your first post asking to check it out. So i will get back to you I am testing it out now.
    Awesome!
    11-19-2013 10:26 AM
    Awesome!
    So after testing it and using it it seems to be synced perfectly with my Moto X on 4.4 It is giving all the information and everything seems good to go.
    JRDroid and Vaas like this.
    11-19-2013 10:32 AM
    So after testing it and using it it seems to be synced perfectly with my Moto X on 4.4 It is giving all the information and everything seems good to go.
    Great news! Thank you very much. Now I just have to sit and wait patiently for the AT&T update.
    11-19-2013 10:33 AM

To be fair - what is Google's vision of Android? It's clearly diverged from "stock" Android too.
    11-19-2013 12:31 PM
    So what's the verdict on 4.4 on the Moto X overall?
    11-19-2013 01:02 PM
    To be fair - what is Google's vision of Android? It's clearly diverged from "stock" Android too.
    Yes it has. I said as much in the previous post. AOSP is no longer "Google" Android. Google throws a skin on just like any other manufacturer. It just so happens that theirs is one of the best (the other contender for best being Motorola). Really, Motorola and Google (unsurprisingly) share a similar vision for Android, a platform from which to access Google Services. I just find it amusing that Motorola seems to have implemented this slightly better than Google did. Has the student become the teacher?
    11-19-2013 01:08 PM
    Yes it has. I said as much in the previous post. AOSP is no longer "Google" Android. Google throws a skin on just like any other manufacturer. It just so happens that theirs is one of the best (the other contender for best being Motorola). Really, Motorola and Google (unsurprisingly) share a similar vision for Android, a platform from which to access Google Services. I just find it amusing that Motorola seems to have implemented this slightly better than Google did. Has the student become the teacher?

Google just recently split up from AOSP with the nexus 5...The N5 is the first pure "google" phone, not so much the pure android phone of its past..For example the Google Now to the left of the home screen and the google always listening feature is pure Google, not so much pure android. But it is becoming Google's vision of android. That is the absolute beauty of what the Nexus program can do for Google. Google can make the vision of android whatever they so choose to do and it will become the standard. It is almost now a war between Google's GEL and AOSP. This is the first time in Android History that the newest Update has not been based purely on AOSP and more of a Google Edition type of Android....It is either exciting or frightening depending on how you enjoy the new experience.
    Ry likes this.
    11-19-2013 01:17 PM
    Also it almost seems like because this is the first time the Nexus 5 has an exclusive launcher that is GEL and not pure AOSP like the last nexus devices were the LG G2 is suffering from a lack of development. Normally the base phone on what the nexus line is based on gets a huge development community to follow. It was one of the added perks. for example the LG Nexus 4 made the LG Optimus G have a huge devolper community. But with the N5 and the LG G2 the dev community isn't there this time. Suffice it to say I will be selling my 2 week old Verizon LG G2 for $350 soon lol
    11-19-2013 01:21 PM
    I agree with most everything they said. I may have been won over by the Note 3's beautiful screen and S-pen, but the moto x is such an awesome device. Can't say enough good things about it.
    It was the first phone ever to make me forget iOS completely. It brought me to the android side without missing my iPhone and iOS.
    As of today, the ONLY area that iOS still owns android is in the native email client. Other than than, Android ROCKS. Loving my Note 3, Loved my X, can't wait for the next big thing...
    11-19-2013 02:43 PM
    This thread is all over the place now..
    asdrew likes this.
    11-19-2013 04:03 PM
    I purchased a Moto X for 20$ on Craigslist and if the people pay the ETF (so I can activate) I'll give them 40$ more. So 60$ possibly invested in this little phone and it is an absolute beast! I came from a Galaxy S4 and I was a chronic flasher of AOSP/CM-based ROMs and let me tell you this phone blows the S4 out of the water in terms of real world performance. Don't let the SoC fool you. The display is also pretty decent as well since it doesn't suffer from the disease known as pentile matrix.
    11-20-2013 09:20 AM
    I purchased a Moto X for 20$ on Craigslist and if the people pay the ETF (so I can activate) I'll give them 40$ more. So 60$ possibly invested in this little phone and it is an absolute beast! I came from a Galaxy S4 and I was a chronic flasher of AOSP/CM-based ROMs and let me tell you this phone blows the S4 out of the water in terms of real world performance. Don't let the SoC fool you. The display is also pretty decent as well since it doesn't suffer from the disease known as pentile matrix.
    Maybe it is smoother out of the box but put a custom ROM and it's just as smooth. I would love to have a Moto X but I wouldn't trade it for my S4. Camera is far better, screen is better, gaming is better, battery is better ;p

Posted via Android Central App
    11-20-2013 09:58 AM
    Maybe it is smoother out of the box but put a custom ROM and it's just as smooth. I would love to have a Moto X but I wouldn't trade it for my S4. Camera is far better, screen is better, gaming is better, battery is better ;p

Sir, I meant it is smoother than the S4 with any custom ROM I ran on it. Trust me on this, I am a nerd for pixels and lag. I'm willing to give up some pixels in favor of a non-pentile display and a fluid experience 24/7

The camera on the S4 walks circles around the X, I'll give you that.

EDIT: and I still have my S4, just gotta file a claim to get the screen that broke itself fixed.
    11-20-2013 11:55 AM
    Sir, I meant it is smoother than the S4 with any custom ROM I ran on it. Trust me on this, I am a nerd for pixels and lag. I'm willing to give up some pixels in favor of a non-pentile display and a fluid experience 24/7

The camera on the S4 walks circles around the X, I'll give you that.

EDIT: and I still have my S4, just gotta file a claim to get the screen that broke itself fixed.
    I wouldn't trade all of the superior things the S4 has for a slightly smoother experience. I get no lag whatsoever on SlimBean 4.3 and the battery life is better than I have seen on any Moto X

11-20-2013 12:01 PM
    I hear you man, I really do. Which is why I am keeping my S4 like I mentioned previously. It would be an understatement to say slightly smoother, I am not sure why but the S4, even with a custom rom, never lives up to the potential of the SoC it contains. The battery life is great though! I got this Moto X on the cheap, and for what I payed for it - it makes it the better phone, hell the build quality is light years ahead of the S4, even if it is plastic just the same.
    11-20-2013 01:33 PM
141 12345 ...