11-29-2013 10:17 AM
141 ... 23456
tools
    I get awesome battery life with this phone. I've gotten almost 24 hours with over 6 hours of screen time. I'd say that's pretty good for a 2200mah battery on stock, unrooted. Once I root and use Greenify and TiBU to freeze some stuff, it'll only get better.

Proof:

Arstechnica says the Moto X is the best overall Android phone of 2013-screenshot_2013-09-20-10-14-45.png
    Arstechnica says the Moto X is the best overall Android phone of 2013-screenshot_2013-09-20-10-14-59.png
    stridr69 likes this.
    11-20-2013 01:44 PM
    When I was in the Verizon store checking out the different colored backs for the Moto X, the salesman in there was adamant that the Galaxy S4 was really the phone I wanted. Because, you know, it's better and stuff. He had trouble explaining why, when put side by side with the Moto X, it performed tasks slower and lagged noticeably, while the "under powered" Moto X pushed through like it wasn't even being challenged.

Sorry, but I've got better things to do with my time now than root and ROM and dork around on my phone for weeks on end trying to figure out the best compromise of power, battery life, and features. Three years ago, I was all about it but it's just exhausting. The Moto X has come along and put a lot of those preconceived notions about Android to bed and all but nailed the coffin shut.

You know what annoys me most about Apple fanboys? When they say stuff like "it just works." But now I'm really starting to see what they're on about....
    11-20-2013 02:00 PM
    Well, I've been looking for the perfect Android phone for me this year. I've owned the Note 2, the GS4, the Nexus 5, and am now using the HTC One. No interest in the Note 3, because it's too huge and I struggled with the Note 2 for almost a year before deciding I was done with the huge phone. Each was bought and sold again on Craigslist where I can manage to try them all without the long-term commitment.

The GS4 was frustratingly laggy, and I'm so tired of the Samsung Touchwiz nonsense. Battery life was less than stellar. I think I'm done with Samsung for awhile.

I tried the Nexus 5 and was unimpressed by the screen (since I was currently using the HTC One) and the battery life was unimpressive, to say the least. Overall, the phone felt cheap and too light. The camera was a mess, in my opinion. Maybe it will be fixed eventually, but I didn't have the patience for it. Really wasn't the phone for me, as I didn't feel it was an upgrade at all. Went back to my HTC One.

For the most part, I really like the HTC One, but ergonomics are awful. Hard to reach the power button, and the volume toggles are difficult. Though some may like the "ultrapixel" camera, I personally HATE it. It's far too wide and any people up close are horribly distorted. Makes them look fat and short... like a carnival mirror. Panoramas only work when the camera is held horizontally. The flash is unusable, not that I ever really use flash on a phone. That being said, the screen is gorgeous, battery life is acceptable, and I tend to like HTC Sense. It's been a nice change from Samsung.

Went to an AT&T store and was impressed by the Moto X, which surprised me. Loved the screen even though it was 720p (I couldn't tell the difference). It was snappy and felt just right in the hand. Today, HTC announced Kitkat by the end of January. Seriously? So I logged into Ebay and bought a mint Moto X 32gb that will be here soon. I'm expecting to be satisfied finally until next year's crop of super-phones start appearing. This article has been pretty much my observation, as I'd rather have the whole experience, rather than one or two excellent feature with lots of compromises.

On the other hand, I'll keep my HTC One for a while, just in case.
    clankfu, jroc and On2Vegas like this.
    11-20-2013 02:45 PM
    I wouldn't trade all of the superior things the S4 has for a slightly smoother experience. I get no lag whatsoever on SlimBean 4.3 and the battery life is better than I have seen on any Moto X

Posted via Android Central App
    What kind of battery life are you getting on your s4? I was under the impression that it was fairly identical to the one, about 70-75% of the x. Is the kernel much different on that ROM to increase by 33%?

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    11-20-2013 04:00 PM
    What kind of battery life are you getting on your s4? I was under the impression that it was fairly identical to the one, about 70-75% of the x. Is the kernel much different on that ROM to increase by 33%?

XT1060. Through spacetime.
    This was from Monday night
    Had airplane mode on for about 2 and 1/2 hours. During my math class where I get no signal and during mass
    Arstechnica says the Moto X is the best overall Android phone of 2013-screenshot_2013-11-18-22-12-40.jpg
    Arstechnica says the Moto X is the best overall Android phone of 2013-screenshot_2013-11-18-22-12-52.jpg
    Proof it's an S4 and showing the kernel it's running on
    Arstechnica says the Moto X is the best overall Android phone of 2013-screenshot_2013-11-18-22-13-03.jpg
    Aquila likes this.
    11-20-2013 04:23 PM
    I wouldn't trade all of the superior things the S4 has for a slightly smoother experience. I get no lag whatsoever on SlimBean 4.3 and the battery life is better than I have seen on any Moto X

Ummm.. I'm don't own a S4, nor used SlimBean. But it looks like another regular rom. So technically you gave up on all the "superior things" the s4 has. If its software, touchwiz is meh, if its hardware, your argument is still debatable. You gave up everything the s4 had and opted for the less lag experience by flashing a rom.
    jroc likes this.
    11-20-2013 04:24 PM
    When I was in the Verizon store checking out the different colored backs for the Moto X, the salesman in there was adamant that the Galaxy S4 was really the phone I wanted. Because, you know, it's better and stuff. He had trouble explaining why, when put side by side with the Moto X, it performed tasks slower and lagged noticeably, while the "under powered" Moto X pushed through like it wasn't even being challenged.

Sorry, but I've got better things to do with my time now than root and ROM and dork around on my phone for weeks on end trying to figure out the best compromise of power, battery life, and features. Three years ago, I was all about it but it's just exhausting. The Moto X has come along and put a lot of those preconceived notions about Android to bed and all but nailed the coffin shut.

You know what annoys me most about Apple fanboys? When they say stuff like "it just works." But now I'm really starting to see what they're on about....
    I agree 100%. I was the same way. Over the years...I gradually went away from custom ROMs for a better experience...and just went with the phone that provided the best experience for me out the box. If that phone is the Moto X .....it deserves the title as best overall Android phone for 2013. Like I said before....overall isnt just about a spec or 2 here n there. One phone has whats considered the best screen on the market....but lacks somewhere else that can take away from the overall experience.

Your last sentence was pure blasphemy!!!....but I get what your saying...
    11-20-2013 04:27 PM
    Ummm.. I'm don't own a S4, nor used SlimBean. But it looks like another regular rom. So technically you gave up on all the "superior things" the s4 has. If its software, touchwiz is meh, if its hardware, your argument is still debatable. You gave up everything the s4 had and opted for the less lag experience by flashing a rom.
    The software wasn't the superior part. Also, the hardware is superior to that of the Moto X.
    Camera runs circles around the X, battery life is just as good in most cases if not better. Screen is sharper and I have a removeable battery and expandable storage.
    Gaming is also far better on the S4 because of the processor and screen differences.
    11-20-2013 04:29 PM

The GS4 was frustratingly laggy, and I'm so tired of the Samsung Touchwiz nonsense. Battery life was less than stellar. I think I'm done with Samsung for awhile.
    Have to disagree. See my post above. Obviously YMMV
    11-20-2013 04:31 PM
    When a person tries a phone vs phone debate or compares phones....and brings up a custom ROM.... Its apples to oranges.

But yea...most things are debatable about phones. I could mention how having a non removable battery has its advantages, I had to apologize to some Apple fans I got into debates with....lol.
    ultravisitor, UJ95x and Ry like this.
    11-20-2013 04:40 PM
    Same. And really, if a phone was so great, it shouldn't need to be tweaked so much.
    JungleLarry likes this.
    11-20-2013 04:45 PM
    I'm happy to hear that you GS4 is contrary to what I've observed, and I hope my Moto X is contrary to what you've observed.

What a neat world we live in where we have the luxury of arguing about whose coolest phone is the coolest of all the cool phones.
    Puzzlegal likes this.
    11-20-2013 04:52 PM
    When you have to flash a ROM to get the phone to be acceptable, it definitely has problems. The S4 hardware-wise felt like every Samsung I have ever known, and I owned the S2, S3, and Note2 before the S4. Plastic and Samsung in your face, unreal colors, and dumb ridiculous software features no real person ever uses. It's like the Hello Kitty and Pokemon had a baby and named it Nintendo. So far from a Google experience, and I'm done flashing ROMs to have a phone that behaves and gets decent battery life without lag.

Enjoy your S4. I didn't... finally hit my limit. The only thing worse would be owning an iPhone where they add about 2 or 3 silly features and call it an upgrade.
    11-20-2013 04:54 PM
    I'm happy to hear that you GS4 is contrary to what I've observed, and I hope my Moto X is contrary to what you've observed.

What a neat world we live in where we have the luxury of arguing about whose coolest phone is the coolest of all the cool phones.
    It is actually. Hadn't seen 6+ hours on an X. Quite impressive, how high was your brightness?
    11-20-2013 04:54 PM
    Haha it's funny because I have an S4 and even with ROMs and OVERCLOCKED it still lags. I can't get the Moto X to lag. The things the S4 have going for it like: 1080p, better SoC, and bigger battery didn't really help my experience out. It's bad how a mid range device feels more high end than one of the biggest flagships of the year. The build quality alone squats on the S4.

Also to the guy addressing gameplay, the S4 Pro that is the basis of the X8 system is still very powerful and the GPU in the X is the same as the GPU in the S4...so basically gameplay should be about the same other than on ultra high end games, due to the X having to push far less pixels with the same GPU behind it.

disclaimer: I love both devices, just trying to get the facts out there. Though the X is defined as mid range, it definitely handles like a top tier device.
    Ry likes this.
    11-20-2013 04:55 PM
    This was from Monday night
    Had airplane mode on for about 2 and 1/2 hours. During my math class where I get no signal and during mass
    That's great battery life but that's also a custom ROM and kernel. What was your battery life like on stock, unrooted TouchWiz.
    11-20-2013 04:59 PM
    Haha it's funny because I have an S4 and even with ROMs and OVERCLOCKED it still lags. I can't get the Moto X to lag. The things the S4 have going for it like: 1080p, better SoC, and bigger battery didn't really help my experience out. It's bad how a mid range device feels more high end than one of the biggest flagships of the year. The build quality alone squats on the S4.

Also to the guy addressing gameplay, the S4 Pro that is the basis of the X8 system is still very powerful and the GPU in the X is the same as the GPU in the S4...so basically gameplay should be about the same other than on ultra high end games, due to the X having to push far less pixels with the same GPU behind it.

disclaimer: I love both devices, just trying to get the facts out there. Though the X is defined as mid range, it definitely handles like a top tier device.
    What defines it as mid-range? The specs? I thought the point trying to be made not only by the article but also by Motorola is that specs don't make a phone. The iPhone isn't mid-range, and look at its spec-sheet...
    11-20-2013 05:01 PM
    Haha it's funny because I have an S4 and even with ROMs and OVERCLOCKED it still lags. I can't get the Moto X to lag. The things the S4 have going for it like: 1080p, better SoC, and bigger battery didn't really help my experience out.
    100% agree. That was my frustration, too. Hoping to have the kind of experience you're seeing with the Moto X.
    sooner7 likes this.
    11-20-2013 05:05 PM
    That's great battery life but that's also a custom ROM and kernel. What was your battery life like on stock, unrooted TouchWiz.
    Definitely nothing to complain about. Only reason I flashed a ROM was because I like stock Android better. No problem with TouchWiz
    I had little to no lag issues and I actually used some of the "gimmicks"
    Attachment 92927
    Attachment 92929
    Have some more where I get 6+ hours but over 11-12 hours
    11-20-2013 05:12 PM
    What defines it as mid-range? The specs? I thought the point trying to be made not only by the article but also by Motorola is that specs don't make a phone. The iPhone isn't mid-range, and look at its spec-sheet...
    That was the point I am making exactly!! On a spec sheet, these are considered mid to high end. "Specs" are the whole reason I bought the S4, but they obviously don't matter.

Experience defines the tier of the phone, but low specs tend to make a bad experience. However, iOS and now the X prove that software optimization is just as crucial to making a high end phone/experience.
    11-20-2013 05:15 PM
    That was the point I am making exactly!! On a spec sheet, these are considered mid to high end. "Specs" are the whole reason I bought the S4, but they obviously don't matter.

Experience defines the tier of the phone, but low specs tend to make a bad experience. However, iOS and now the X prove that software optimization is just as crucial to making a high end phone/experience.
    Then why did you call it a mid-range phone? Aside from the camera, this phone performs just as well as the other flagships.
    11-20-2013 05:22 PM
    Then why did you call it a mid-range phone? Aside from the camera, this phone performs just as well as the other flagships.
    Specs specs specs!
    11-20-2013 05:38 PM
    Specs specs specs!
    Meaningless meaningless meaningless

11-20-2013 05:51 PM
    Battery Life:

So, like many of you, I read a lot of these threads and my impression both from my Moto X and the forums, is that it's easy to get 20-26 hours of battery life with 4-6 hours of "screen on" on an X, out of the box. My impression from the S4 forums is that 15-20 is "lucky", though some people are able to eek out more by tweaking it. Most people seem to be in the 12-15 hour range. Either one of those would be relatively close to acceptable from how I use my phone (10-12 hour work day, I can survive with 12-15 hours, but then I have to charge it the second I get home or swap batteries, would rather have 25-40% left on the battery).

Also, like many of you I don't ever let my device get below 20% except in extreme cases, so take the "max hours" numbers and multiply by .75 or .80 and that's how much I WANT to use it. Which means we're basically talking about an 8-12 hour S4 vs an 15-18 hr Moto X. Of course there are individuals getting higher or lower values than normal, but I've never expected that my device will exceed normal ranges when I purchase it.

Processor:

I would argue heavily that the S600 is not actually a "better" processor, because it is very likely that most of us have never done anything that requires the theoretical output it could generate under test conditions. That, coupled with it being soundly beaten by the X8 in many real world performance tests (navigation of the OS, opening apps, rendering pages, threading, random r/w, etc) makes it very tough to call one objectively better than the other, though the X8 system is much more advanced, despite having 2 fewer ARMs.
    jroc, Ry, Devlyn16 and 2 others like this.
    11-20-2013 06:00 PM
    It's just a rating guys, one website's opinion doesn't mean you have to take it as a supreme proclamation.

Sent from my Sony Xperia Z1
    11-20-2013 06:13 PM
141 ... 23456