Arstechnica says the Moto X is the best overall Android phone of 2013

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
The State of Smartphones in 2013: Part I of the new Ars Ultimate Guide | Ars Technica

cFkI+

Algus

Mar 17, 2013
Visit site
Dunno how you can declare a best phone when all the choices come from people who are looking for different features in their phone. To me, the Note 3 is the best but I can totally get why some people prefer a smaller phone or don't care to pay for the spen. After getting to play with my sister's S4, I was really impressed and I could see myself going to a regular Galaxy.

One thing I really liked about this article was the side by side discussion of iOS, Windows Mobile 8, and Android. I kind of wish they had included Blackberry in the mix as well but oh well. I continue to be envious of the look and design of the Lumia phones, even though I'm not interested in Windows 8 at all.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Dunno how you can declare a best phone when all the choices come from people who are looking for different features in their phone. To me, the Note 3 is the best but I can totally get why some people prefer a smaller phone or don't care to pay for the spen. After getting to play with my sister's S4, I was really impressed and I could see myself going to a regular Galaxy.

A designation like this is obviously subjective. It's just good to know that our puny little community here isn't alone in our love for this phone.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Isn't that what "Best Overall" means?
No. Most balanced means it does everything at least decently. I think of best overall as the phone that scores high in every single categoery.
For example. The most balanced basketball in the NBA would probably be the Bulls or Pacers, but the best overall would be the Heat :p

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
There's something to be said for the whole being greater than the sum of its parts.
The Moto X isn't the best in any category except maybe form-factor. It is decent for gaming and the camera is decent but there are phones that do both of these very well and still have the great battery life and software :p

garublador

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Dunno how you can declare a best phone when all the choices come from people who are looking for different features in their phone.
While it's true that there are a number of specific use cases that will totally eliminate the "best" phone from consideration (i.e. you want more than 32GB of storage or want a bigger/smaller form factor for some reason), there are a large number of people who don't have any specific needs like that. For those people it makes sense to choose between what many different sites call the "best" phone.

I'm inclined to agree with their analysis. If there isn't anything specific pushing you to another phone then the Moto X is probably the best choice. It does all the normal smartphone stuff as well as any other phone, but also has some actually useful extra features, a great battery life and apparently can be found cheaper than many other top-end phones.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
The Moto X isn't the best in any category except maybe form-factor. It is decent for gaming and the camera is decent but there are phones that do both of these very well and still have the great battery life and software :p

Like I said, it's very subjective. Some people just aren't fans of TouchWiz or the G2 software (don't know what it's called) for example.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Like I said, it's very subjective. Some people just aren't fans of TouchWiz or the G2 software (don't know what it's called) for example.
True, but if we're talking about the best phone. It's not specific for people like us who nitpick the software and any "issues" it has. Most people don't know what TouchWiz is or what stock Android means.
Anyway, I'm probably going to be getting the X2 or whatever they release next year because I'd like to have stock Android out of the box and I'm guessing the next Nexus will be even bigger. My S4 is as big as I'll go :)

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
No. Most balanced means it does everything at least decently. I think of best overall as the phone that scores high in every single categoery.
For example. The most balanced basketball in the NBA would probably be the Bulls or Pacers, but the best overall would be the Heat :p
I'm guessing you're a Heat homer, which is the only way this analogy makes sense.

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
With the recent free on contract price on VZW and the announcement that the soak test on the Verizon Moto X is actually 4.4 (so kitkat in a couple weeks?), I think the award is justified.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
With the recent free on contract price on VZW and the announcement that the soak test on the Verizon Moto X is actually 4.4 (so kitkat in a couple weeks?), I think the award is justified.
I doubt they'll get Kit Kat in anything less than 3 weeks, even less than a month is unlikely

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
faret