Arstechnica says the Moto X is the best overall Android phone of 2013

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Battery Life:

So, like many of you, I read a lot of these threads and my impression both from my Moto X and the forums, is that it's easy to get 20-26 hours of battery life with 4-6 hours of "screen on" on an X, out of the box. My impression from the S4 forums is that 15-20 is "lucky", though some people are able to eek out more by tweaking it. Most people seem to be in the 12-15 hour range. Either one of those would be relatively close to acceptable from how I use my phone (10-12 hour work day, I can survive with 12-15 hours, but then I have to charge it the second I get home or swap batteries, would rather have 25-40% left on the battery).

Also, like many of you I don't ever let my device get below 20% except in extreme cases, so take the "max hours" numbers and multiply by .75 or .80 and that's how much I WANT to use it. Which means we're basically talking about an 8-12 hour S4 vs an 15-18 hr Moto X. Of course there are individuals getting higher or lower values than normal, but I've never expected that my device will exceed normal ranges when I purchase it.

Processor:

I would argue heavily that the S600 is not actually a "better" processor, because it is very likely that most of us have never done anything that requires the theoretical output it could generate under test conditions. That, coupled with it being soundly beaten by the X8 in many real world performance tests (navigation of the OS, opening apps, rendering pages, threading, random r/w, etc) makes it very tough to call one objectively better than the other, though the X8 system is much more advanced, despite having 2 fewer ARMs.

Well said. Hence the "YMMV" in my post.
That and the small size are why I'll more than likely get the NEXT "X." But for now I'm happy with my S4 :)

Posted via Android Central App

gregg_fowler

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
As of today, the ONLY area that iOS still owns android is in the native email client. Other than than, Android ROCKS. Loving my Note 3, Loved my X, can't wait for the next big thing...
I like K-9 more than the iOS email app.

...But yea...most things are debatable about phones. I could mention how having a non removable battery has its advantages...
Other than that you can potentially cram more battery into the same sized phone by not using up space with a door and stuff, what advantage is there to a non-removable battery?

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
Other than that you can potentially cram more battery into the same sized phone by not using up space with a door and stuff, what advantage is there to a non-removable battery?

You could argue that having a removable cover for a battery would lessen the build quality and feel of the device. It would probably be more like the Moto G. I haven't handled one myself but I'm assuming that while the feel is close, it's not exactly the same.

Some people would gladly sacrifice build quality for a removable battery but it's an argument.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
You can carry around an extra battery if you don't mind charging another battery. As soon as one dies. Replace it :)
When you have been charging and using your phone's battery for a few months the capacity diminishes. Just buy a new battery and you're back to how it was.

clankfu

Jul 23, 2011
Visit site
You can carry around an extra battery if you don't mind charging another battery. As soon as one dies. Replace it :)
When you have been charging and using your phone's battery for a few months the capacity diminishes. Just buy a new battery and you're back to how it was.

I think you misunderstood her question.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The ability to swap out a battery is an advantage, but I think it stands to reason that MOST people would prefer better out-of-the-box battery life due to the spacial restrictions you already mentioned. Down the line....that's another story. Buying a new battery is definitely cheaper than buying a new phone.

Truth is, this is the first phone I've purchased with a non-removable battery. My hope is that by taking care of it according to the most current guidelines for Li-ion cells I'll get decent enough longevity to last me until my next purchase.

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I don't want a non-removable battery. Having it removable makes the case creaky and noticably lower quality. Just LOOK at any review of any unibody device - HTC One, Moto X, iPhone - and compare it to the reviews for any with a removable battery. You can't get good build quality and balanced feel with a removable battery like you can with non-removable. If it were possible, it would have been done.

I want my phone to last all day. Period. End of story. Anything less is unacceptable. I use my phone heavily and my iPhones always made that mark. The Moto X I've had for 2 days seems to be holding up quite well, too. I don't want to carry another battery to make up for a deficiency in the device. Do it right.

Highland Droid

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
The almost immediate (compared to what we're used to) upgrade of the Moto X line (sans the Republic Wireless version) to 4.4 solidifies this phone IMO as THE BEST phone of 2013.

It makes me sick that I don't own one (I'm currently testing the Republic Wireless version, but I'm not sold on the service) but that has nothing to do with the phone and everything to do with the launch and release. I couldn't stomach the AT&T Moto Maker exclusivity. Yuck.

If I could have designed my own VZW Developer Edition Moto X at launch, I'd have two of them right now, one each for my wife and I. I had saved up and was ready to support this phone. But Motorola screwed that up.

In the end, they'll probably end up selling me two anyway, so who's the sucker?

fldude99

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
Anybody and everybody can nitpick the wide (I mean HUGE) amount of features that are packed into smartphones these days, but when looked at from an overall perspective, and this would have to include the GENERAL public as well as geeks that read forums (including myself), I don't think there is a contest. The Moto X is hands down the 2013 smartphone of the year in my opinion. It's been a long time coming for Motorola, and I wish I hadn't sold my shares back when they were stumble bumming around with junk, but they are back big time with this device. Best phone/device I've ever owned.

austinography

Nov 30, 2011
Visit site
Anybody and everybody can nitpick the wide (I mean HUGE) amount of features that are packed into smartphones these days, but when looked at from an overall perspective, and this would have to include the GENERAL public as well as geeks that read forums (including myself), I don't think there is a contest. The Moto X is hands down the 2013 smartphone of the year in my opinion. It's been a long time coming for Motorola, and I wish I hadn't sold my shares back when they were stumble bumming around with junk, but they are back big time with this device. Best phone/device I've ever owned.

I couldn't agree more. My first "smart" phone was the Motorola Q, running Windows Mobile 6.0 (ewwwww). But, the hardware was sound (soft touch, same as moto x) and it was a really nice device at the time. I've dabbled with other hardware in the meantime, but it feels really nice to be coming back to Moto. Thank god they've actually figured out the software part now too.

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I have to say that the Moto X is the first device that has made me feel ok about leaving my iPhone. It's a good size, has good battery life, good display and some innovative and useful features. Other smartphones just try to go bigger faster stronger and that's not enough for me.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I have to say that the Moto X is the first device that has made me feel ok about leaving my iPhone. It's a good size, has good battery life, good display and some innovative and useful features. Other smartphones just try to go bigger faster stronger and that's not enough for me.

I think of the Moto X as the iPhone of the Android world. Whether you see that as a good thing or a bad thing is up to you :p

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
davisongeorge