I need some help guys, Keep my Nexus 5 or jump to a Moto X

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
Firewall eh? A firewall with a big azz hole in it maybe.

G Pad 8.3

Google and Motorola is still different entity when it comes to Android(Lets hope thats still the case).
Motorola dont get code before anyone else(except for samsung and HTC because of google play edition phones)
sammy and HTC have the 4.4 code for at least 2- 2 1/2 months now

Motorola pulled it up this quickly because
1. the OS is pure vanilla
2. all apps are on play store which makes it easy for bug fixes
3. most apps are google apps. so less testing and that falls on google now.
4. very less bloatware
kudos to motorola for that

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
That's what they keep saying..

This update kind of proves it's not reality.

I don't even know why they bother to say that, and worse, expect anyone to actually BELIEVE it. So, Googorola get's updates faster than the competition. Not the end of the world for the likes of Samsung, LG, and HTC. In fact, maybe they'll get off their tuckases and realize they need to open the throttle a bit when it comes to getting updates out. LG could sure use a little fire under them in this department.

G Pad 8.3

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
LG are hopeless with updates apart from the obvious Nexus devices, I wonder what's going on with Samsung, seeing as HTC are ready with the GPE One Samsung have been totally mute on it, I'd be mad as anything if I had an S4 GPE watching the X get it 1st, considering the GPE phones are sold through Google play, I think more is going on behind the scenes regarding Google and Samsung

Posted via Android Central App

TeknoBug

Sep 7, 2013
Visit site
When a device as new as August 2013 without 4.3, I expected it to skip 4.3 and go straight to 4.4.

LG did that with the Shine Plus a couple years ago, it was still 2.1 and it skipped 2.2 straight to 2.3 on the OTA update.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
When a device as new as August 2013 without 4.3, I expected it to skip 4.3 and go straight to 4.4.

LG did that with the Shine Plus a couple years ago, it was still 2.1 and it skipped 2.2 straight to 2.3 on the OTA update.

true but skipping from 4.2 to 4.4 usually takes about 6 months unlike Moto X which took only 3 weeks.

that's the wow factor here

JeffDenver

Banned
May 3, 2010
Visit site
Here's what I love about my Nexus 5:
The screen, I really like how sharp it is, I'm worries the Moto X might look mudded compared.
The Moto X has an excellent display. I used to be a huge display snob but thats changed since 720p became the standard. 1080p is better, but not by enough to make a difference to most people. The Moto X display most certainly will not look "muddled" by any standard.

Vanilla Android, I'm not much of a skin person, seems the Moto X is almost vanilla also.
The moto X is about as close to vanilla as you can get without being vanilla. They are already getting KitKat...that alone should tell you something.

Build quality, I think the Nexus 5 is well built and feels well.
So do I. Most people think the Moto X is even better though.

Speed, the Nexus 5 is fast.... At everything, worried if I see a noticeable difference with the X, I'm not into benchmarks, I'm into everyday life marks lol
The Moto X will never match the Nexus in that area. But for basic UI functions it will look as fast. Whether or not it is fast enough is subjective. But Jerry seems to think it is plenty fast.

I prefer the nexus myself, but my priorities are different from yours. Based on what you said here, it looks like you'd do better with the Moto X.

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
I'm also looking at these two phones, as well as the S4. I was planning to get the S4 mini, but I'm on Sprint, and I just spoke with them and the helpful customer service guy tells me that the Sprint version of the mini doesn't have antennas to use it internationally. And I travel enough that that's a real issue for me. So now I am looking at other phones.
For me it came down to a carrier locked bootloader. I thought I could deal with it and if there was ever a carrier phone that was almost perfect out of the box it would be the moto x, but at the end of the day it's my phone and I enjoy having the ability to experiment and flash custom Roms. I went from the x to the n5 and have no regrets.

Now if I was a completely stock user who didn't root I would have stuck with the x. It depends on if you like to tinker. If you do I'd recommend sticking with the n5.

Sent from my Nexus 5
This is my chief concern with the Moto. I was burned by Moto with the Photon and the locked bootloader. I really want to be able to unlock my phone.
I had both phones. For me out came down to the moto x being more comfortable to hold.

But that's personal preference. Both are great phones. Can't go wrong either way

But this is a big issue for me, too. I was going to buy the mini for its form factor. I've held the other phones in the shop, and it's a little hard to tell with the giant "don't steal me" thing attached to the phone, but the Moto X felt small enough, and felt nice in my hands. All the other phones feel so huge.

And I'm not sure either has enough data for my needs. But I guess I should go see what's on my current phone, and what I would like to be there that isn't due to space limitations. Maybe they are okay. (Putting stuff in "the cloud" is not a good solution for me, I often use the phone when my data service is spotty.)

I'm really torn.

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
I was burned by Moto with the Photon and the locked bootloader. I really want to be able to unlock my phone.

The Sprint Moto X has an unlockable bootloader. I told you previously when you were swearing up and down that you would never get another Motorola phone. That has been well known. AT&T and Verizon Moto Xs have the encrypted bootloader. Remember? You were swearing left and right that Motorola had not changed when it came to updates. Ready to admit you're wrong?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
LG are hopeless with updates apart from the obvious Nexus devices, I wonder what's going on with Samsung, seeing as HTC are ready with the GPE One Samsung have been totally mute on it, I'd be mad as anything if I had an S4 GPE watching the X get it 1st, considering the GPE phones are sold through Google play, I think more is going on behind the scenes regarding Google and Samsung

The GPe's are not the only ones. Most Nexus tablets have not received it yet...not sure about the Nexus 4. I could side load it to my Nexus 7 but in no big hurry. I need to learn to wait a week before updating anyway. Patience is a virtue.

angry english

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
I'm so surprised that the OTA hasn't hit most devices yet nexus wise, I sideloaded my N7 FHD as I didn't want to wait, but for the Verizon Moto X to get the OTA before a lot of Nexus devices is a bit of a slap in the face, if you would have said to me 1 week ago a Verizon device would have 4.4 ota before the nexus 4 I would have advised you to put the crack pipe down lol

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
I'm so surprised that the OTA hasn't hit most devices yet nexus wise, I sideloaded my N7 FHD as I didn't want to wait, but for the Verizon Moto X to get the OTA before a lot of Nexus devices is a bit of a slap in the face, if you would have said to me 1 week ago a Verizon device would have 4.4 ota before the nexus 4 I would have advised you to put the crack pipe down lol

Agreed. I was just adding the tablets to the slap in the face!

If moto can continue to deliver at that pace it will be impressive indeed!

Sent from my bada$$ Nexus 5

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
What makes you think you and your attitude are any better? You're referring to other people as slaves just because their priorities are different from yours.

First off I didn't mean to have such an attitude, and I wasn't referring to you or any other regulars on here. I was referring to those who make snide comments about how many phones someone goes through without having any knowledge of the situation. I have never paid full retail for a phone and never will. I trade, or buy and sell to try different phones and most of the time I at least break even if not make a few bucks in the process. People just assume that we must be spending hundreds of dollars each time we change phones and it isn't the case.

Some people have plenty of money and do buy a new phone full price every couple of months and even in that case there's nothing wrong with that.

It's just the perception that people have with buying cell phones and associating it with being wasteful and that's due mostly to the "we keep a phone for two years because that's what our carriers tell us to do" mentality. Again nothing wrong with being perfectly happy with a device and keeping it for 2 or even 3 years.

If someone spends 900 bucks a month on a Mercedes note no one bats an eye but someone in a forum has purchased more than one smartphone in a short period of time and they are "sick". Just doesn't make sense to me.

Sent from my Nexus 5

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
First off I didn't mean to have such an attitude, and I wasn't referring to you or any other regulars on here. I was referring to those who make snide comments about how many phones someone goes through without having any knowledge of the situation. I have never paid full retail for a phone and never will. I trade, or buy and sell to try different phones and most of the time I at least break even if not make a few bucks in the process. People just assume that we must be spending hundreds of dollars each time we change phones and it isn't the case.

Some people have plenty of money and do buy a new phone full price every couple of months and even in that case there's nothing wrong with that.

It's just the perception that people have with buying cell phones and associating it with being wasteful and that's due mostly to the "we keep a phone for two years because that's what our carriers tell us to do" mentality. Again nothing wrong with being perfectly happy with a device and keeping it for 2 or even 3 years.

If someone spends 900 bucks a month on a Mercedes note no one bats an eye but someone in a forum has purchased more than one smartphone in a short period of time and they are "sick". Just doesn't make sense to me.

Sent from my Nexus 5

Sigh.. First of all when did i ever suggest someone was "sick"? Second i dont give a rats potuti how many phones or how much money one has. Thats other peoples business.. Who cares. My point was pertaining to the concern from the op about a phone that he probably wont keep long anyway. Its just my opinion. If I'm gonna buy a phone every other month, money or resources arent an issue so i would just buy it based on all the info already out there as well as several exact same threads started. Didnt see the point of starting yet another repetitive thread. In other words buying this device is not as critical as someone intending on keeping it a long time.. With or without being a "slave". Good one btw. Oh and all this "regulars" vs others like youre all in cahoots is hilarious. Who... Gives a shyt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Sigh.. First of all when did i ever suggest someone was "sick"? Second i dont give a rats potuti how many phones or how much money one has. Thats other peoples business.. Who cares. My point was pertaining to the concern from the op about a phone that he probably wont keep long anyway. Its just my opinion. If I'm gonna buy a phone every other month, money or resources arent an issue so i would just buy it based on all the info already out there as well as several exact same threads started. Didnt see the point of starting yet another repetitive thread. In other words buying this device is not as critical as someone intending on keeping it a long time.. With or without being a "slave". Good one btw. Oh and all this "regulars" vs others like youre all in cahoots is hilarious. Who... Gives a shyt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Why bother to comment if you believe the thread wasn't necessary to begin with?

Sent from my Nexus 5

Puzzlegal

Jul 19, 2011
Visit site
The Sprint Moto X has an unlockable bootloader. I told you previously when you were swearing up and down that you would never get another Motorola phone. That has been well known. AT&T and Verizon Moto Xs have the encrypted bootloader. Remember? You were swearing left and right that Motorola had not changed when it came to updates. Ready to admit you're wrong?

I don't believe I was swearing that I would never get another Moto, I think I said that I have a great deal of distrust for them, and don't want to reward their perfidy by replacing my Photon with a new Moto. I still have a lot of distrust for them -- if I didn't, I wouldn't be wrestling with which phone to buy. The Moto X appears to be the ONLY current Android phone small enough for me to hold comfortably that both works for LTE in the US and also can be used internationally. And spec-wise, it is more than powerful enough for my needs. I'd just buy the thing if Motorola hadn't burned me.

But thank you for refreshing the information re an unlockable bootloader.
I don't know what it means to have an "encrypted" bootloader. But I guess I don't want to migrate to either Verizon or AT&T, so it doesn't really matter.

Anyhow, I am really bummed that I can't get the Samsung Mini, which looked perfect. Sprint doesn't list the ! mini among its international options, either. (I don't know if they carry it at all.) So I'm looking at the Nexus, the Moto X, and the full-sized S4. The Nexus and the S4 are both larger than I want -- enough larger for that to be a serious problem. But they aren't Motorola, and are or can be unlocked.

Last edited:

str8bucs

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I had the same problem deciding w between the S4 and the X and I really like the size of the X it really is a perfect size and the smoothness of the almost stock android makes the phone super fast compared to all the bloatware on the S4