Moto X vs Nexus 5

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
The quick update argument is not gonna work anymore. Unless you havent been paying attention

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

One very quick update is to be applauded but the Moto X family went from 4.2.2 to 4.4 skipping 4.3. So the question remains will this be sustained and replace Moto's legacy of slow to no updates? I would certainly not say this puts them on par with a Nexus...yet...

Last edited:

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
True but it also doesnt give me the feeling that they won't be updating regularly with this line either. Id say that this is definitely a positive sign.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

mrsmumbles

Oct 5, 2013
Visit site
My wife has a Nexus 5, I have a Moto X. Her phone has been plagued with battery life issues; "Android OS" is using all the juice has a "keep awake time" roughly equal to the off-charge time, so the battery drains in like 10 hours when idle. We have the exact same apps installed on our respective phones. WakeLock Detector hasn't been updated for Android 4.4 yet, so we don't have any way of knowing what is keeping the phone awake and draining the battery. Otherwise, the Nexus 5 has a great screen and runs nicely.

I've been nothing but pleased with my Moto X; I can use the phone all day and still have over half the battery remaining when I get home.

Settings>Battery tap on the top panel

What does the green line for Mobile Network Signal look like? If it is thready with lots of breaks, the signal isn't strong enough and the radio keeps searching using a ton of battery. Set it to use 3g when in poor signal areas. Also, having location reporting on will eat the battery faster.

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2

Pollster

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Motorola/Google will update the Moto G, X, Y, and Z pretty well, but perhaps not as long as they do the Nexus'. That's my belief.

Moto has said they will update the X for two years. When Google announced that the GNex wasn't getting 4.4, they said Nexus devices get upgrades for eighteen months like that's always been a rule.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Moto has said they will update the X for two years. When Google announced that the GNex wasn't getting 4.4, they said Nexus devices get upgrades for eighteen months like that's always been a rule.

I think that's just what they said to get people to stop whining about it. The reason why is because TI isn't in the office business anymore so there was nobody to make the drivers for the GNex. Just what I read somewhere but I can't remember the website

Posted via Android Central App

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
Lol! Moto probably has the best update record in the business, only second to Apple.

That was not my experience with my Atrix or Atrix 2. But I will admit they might have improved since then. The moto X is my first moto in a long time.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
That was not my experience with my Atrix or Atrix 2. But I will admit they might have improved since then. The moto X is my first moto in a long time.

I have owned Motos since the OG Droid, and no other Android mfr. has been as good at updates.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
That was not my experience with my Atrix or Atrix 2. But I will admit they might have improved since then.

Motorola hasn't been bad with updating most of their Verizon phones from what I recall. It's those on other carriers that have suffered. I had a Droid X, and that launched with Eclair, then it was updated to Froyo and Gingerbread. That's pretty good, especially compared to other OEMs.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
You said Moto was better than them. They skipped 4.3 to get 4.4. Google did both and in less time.

Posted via Android Central App

That is not saying that Google is bad. Of course they are going to be first with updates on Nexus devices, as that is their only phone. But, OTA Kit Kat came to Moto X first.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk