Moto X vs Nexus 5

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
Aaaah, the question of the month.

They're both great phones but the Moto X has some nifty tricks up its sleeve. However, if getting the latest Android releases is paramount for you there's only one way to go. Demanding tasks? Oh yes, from what I've read the Moto X munches with the best of 'em.

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
The differences are marginal in nearly every category. If you're buying off-contract, then the Nexus is an easy choice. If not, I think the Moto X represents the best value.

There are a few threads already on this very topic, both here and the Nexus 5 forums. Take a second to search around, and try reading Jerry's *official* Android Central comparison article of the two phones on the front page.

phew

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
My wife has a Nexus 5, I have a Moto X. Her phone has been plagued with battery life issues; "Android OS" is using all the juice has a "keep awake time" roughly equal to the off-charge time, so the battery drains in like 10 hours when idle. We have the exact same apps installed on our respective phones. WakeLock Detector hasn't been updated for Android 4.4 yet, so we don't have any way of knowing what is keeping the phone awake and draining the battery. Otherwise, the Nexus 5 has a great screen and runs nicely.

I've been nothing but pleased with my Moto X; I can use the phone all day and still have over half the battery remaining when I get home.

JRDroid

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Speakers go to the X for sure. The other two are really subjective. Personally, I think the Moto X looks better (especially if you use Moto Maker), but the Nexus 5 is a good looking phone too. Performance, it will depend on what you want to do. The Moto X will handle demanding tasks just fine. It won't handle them as quickly as the Nexus 5, but it won't seem slow either. The X will feel quick, the N5 will feel lightning quick. Voice commands will perform better on the Moto X since you can activate them from anywhere. Notifications are going to perform better on the X too as you don't even need to unlock your phone to see them. Videos will look slightly better on the Nexus 5 due to the better screen, but the Moto X will have better battery life. It all depends on what you are judging performance by as to which performs better.

enik

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
Well seeing how fast Motorola has been about upgrading the x it might as well be a nexus! Better speakers, better battery, and more innovative features!

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
My wife has a Nexus 5, I have a Moto X. Her phone has been plagued with battery life issues; "Android OS" is using all the juice has a "keep awake time" roughly equal to the off-charge time, so the battery drains in like 10 hours when idle. We have the exact same apps installed on our respective phones. WakeLock Detector hasn't been updated for Android 4.4 yet, so we don't have any way of knowing what is keeping the phone awake and draining the battery. Otherwise, the Nexus 5 has a great screen and runs nicely.

I've been nothing but pleased with my Moto X; I can use the phone all day and still have over half the battery remaining when I get home.

She should do a reset. I will most likely fix the android OS issue.

phew

Jun 4, 2011
Visit site
She should do a reset. I will most likely fix the android OS issue.

It took like 4 hours of entering passwords, adjusting widget settings, and placing apps on the homescreens the first time. Not to excited about doing that again. Is there a free backup app that remembers your homescreen icon layout, widget settings, and passwords for pandora/netflix/etc?

planoman

Aug 12, 2010
Visit site
It took like 4 hours of entering passwords, adjusting widget settings, and placing apps on the homescreens the first time. Not to excited about doing that again. Is there a free backup app that remembers your homescreen icon layout, widget settings, and passwords for pandora/netflix/etc?

There are but I am not familiar with them. I have a reset down to 20 minutes. I usually enter logins as I need them. It will most likely fix the issue though.

rabaker07

Mar 28, 2010
Visit site
Okay, coming from the Galaxy Nexus on Verizon, the N5 I got today is sweeeet. But I've been torn about Moto X.

So here it is. I roll with the nex for a bit. The money I'm saving by ditching vzw and going to straight talk (att), I can buy the wood back moto x in 2 months and still come ahead at the bank. Done.

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Which one has better speakers, looks, and performance?
Can the moto x handle high demanding tasks?

X for speakers. Looks are subjective. Both perform really well and the X can handle high demanding tasks very well.

Saneless

Apr 20, 2010
Visit site
There are but I am not familiar with them. I have a reset down to 20 minutes. I usually enter logins as I need them. It will most likely fix the issue though.

Same here. I've run enough Roms over the years to get the reset process down to less than 30 minutes.

pappy53

Banned
Dec 23, 2009
Visit site
Well seeing how fast Motorola has been about upgrading the x it might as well be a nexus! Better speakers, better battery, and more innovative features!

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

Agreed. And now a better camera, according to Droid-Life.

kpoverdorf

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
This is exactly where I am at. Wife and I are currently VZW Gnex users. She will use any phone I get her so she has no influence on my decision. If we gt the X we will prob sign an ATT contract via Amazon and get the phones for a penny. However, I really want timely Android updates. This is such a hard decision. Im sure we could always get the MotoX's on contract (for a penny each) and if we aren't feeling them we can buy the Nexus and sell the MotoX's to offset the cost a little.

Edit - Blah, no penny moto on Zon for att.

t0ked

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Why switch to att from vzw? Unless you get a work discount, not much savings.

Just got my MotoX for free on vzw during their promo last week. I turned it on and it downloaded 4.4 immediately! Comparing my colleague's N5 to the MotoX, everyday performance, running certain tasks, etc, there is no difference. Haven't compared games. The MotoX speaker is much better (louder and clearer). Looks are subjective. I'd say build quality is great on the MotoX and just shy of great on the N5. Screen, the N5 takes it. A little more "pop" but both are pretty damn good. No lag on either. MotoX has a better camera. Pictures look better, but both take them fairly quickly. In terms of usability... GEL is pretty cool, but I'm in love with the touchless control and the always on feature of the Moto. Still learning to use it but damn, its just so convenient! Battery life, moto wins hands down. It's almost as good as my MAXX HD.

That said, if I were buying off contract, I'd get the N5. But since I'm staying on big red, can't beat free!

kpoverdorf

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
Why switch to att from vzw? Unless you get a work discount, not much savings.

Just got my MotoX for free on vzw during their promo last week. I turned it on and it downloaded 4.4 immediately! Comparing my colleague's N5 to the MotoX, everyday performance, running certain tasks, etc, there is no difference. Haven't compared games. The MotoX speaker is much better (louder and clearer). Looks are subjective. I'd say build quality is great on the MotoX and just shy of great on the N5. Screen, the N5 takes it. A little more "pop" but both are pretty damn good. No lag on either. MotoX has a better camera. Pictures look better, but both take them fairly quickly. In terms of usability... GEL is pretty cool, but I'm in love with the touchless control and the always on feature of the Moto. Still learning to use it but damn, its just so convenient! Battery life, moto wins hands down. It's almost as good as my MAXX HD.

That said, if I were buying off contract, I'd get the N5. But since I'm staying on big red, can't beat free!

ATT Discount and the potential of getting a Nexus now or in the future.

anon(464338)

Aug 29, 2011
Visit site
The quick update argument is not gonna work anymore. Unless you havent been paying attention

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk

Haalcyon

Banned
Jul 19, 2013
Visit site
I've seen threads where folks actually have 4.3 and they're upset and dissappointed that that they don't have 4.4 yet. ...hasn't even been out for 60 days. Having realistic expectations is key. ...and I don't think there's anything earth-shattering in 4.4 that 4.3 lacks. Some nice stuff yes, but the cure to cancer, no.

OptimuS G Pro

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I've seen threads where folks actually have 4.3 and they're upset and dissappointed that that they don't have 4.4 yet. ...hasn't even been out for 60 days. Having realistic expectations is key. ...and I don't think there's anything earth-shattering in 4.4 that 4.3 lacks. Some nice stuff yes, but the cure to cancer, no.

OptimuS G Pro

+1,000,000
The comments on the article of the 4.4 update for the Moto X are ridiculous. People are complaining that their N4 doesn't have 4.4 yet. If they care that much, why not side load it? Not that hard on a Nexus.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cyari6908