VZW Moto X dialer issue

eris72

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi all! Just got the kit kat update. The new dialer, however, only searches for contacts I already have and does not bring up any local places/businesses search results. Anyone else having this issue?? Location is most certainly on!

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
What phones do that? All phones I ever had when you start typing their name or number on the dialer it just pulls up your contacts only

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

NovaSS369

Nov 29, 2010
Visit site
Glad this fixed not finding contacts by dialing alphanumerically but would like the local search capabilities too!

Posted via Android Central App

anon(469638)

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Was wondering the use thing.

I wouldn't think this feature would be exclusive to the Nexus.

Maybe it has something to do with Verizon wanting to push its 'Caller ID' service maybe???

legendarydog

Android Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
Was wondering the use thing.

I wouldn't think this feature would be exclusive to the Nexus.

Maybe it has something to do with Verizon wanting to push its 'Caller ID' service maybe???

You might be right...Verizon would do that. :(

In the change log, it says that you can search your corporate directory. But now that I think about that, I think it's referring to a feature for business corporations and not the business search.

Sent from my Moto X

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
You guys might be misinterpreting the feature. I don't think it will search for local businesses when you are dialing. When call comes in from an unknown number, it will search local directories to see if that number corresponds to any company, then it will display the company name instead of 'unknown caller'.

eris72

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
You guys might be misinterpreting the feature. I don't think it will search for local businesses when you are dialing. When call comes in from an unknown number, it will search local directories to see if that number corresponds to any company, then it will display the company name instead of 'unknown caller'.

Google makes the Dialer awesome again: this is why you want Android 4.4 KitKat

"This is Google after all. The search field will let you easily find someone from your contacts list, as you would expect; but, it also goes beyond that. The new Dialer also looks to minimize how much time you spend in other apps only to be bounced back into the Dialer. This means, instead of going to Google Maps or Yelp to find a business, you can search right inside the Dialer app itself. The search field doesn't just return results from your contacts list, but also nearby place results that you would see in Google Maps. So, if you search for "pizza", you'll not only get any pizza places in your own contacts list, but nearby pizza joints as well. "

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hmm, never saw that. Seems pointless to me. Why wouldn't you just click the search bar at the top instead of the dialer? You're basically typing with a T-9 keyboard to search instead of using Google's actual search feature with a regular keyboard.

eris72

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Hmm, never saw that. Seems pointless to me. Why wouldn't you just click the search bar at the top instead of the dialer? You're basically typing with a T-9 keyboard to search instead of using Google's actual search feature with a regular keyboard.

When you press the search bar in the dialer app, the full regular keyboard pops up, not the T9. Regardless, this feature doesn't seem to be available for us :(

The Official Motorola Blog
"An improved phone dialer: Now you can search for contacts directly from the dial-pad and easily see and tap on those you contact frequently."

Nothing at all about the yellow pages type feature. I also had FedEx call me this morning, and there was no Caller ID. Hopefully just a fluke :/

sunburned

May 1, 2012
Visit site
But you're still going two layers deep. Go into the dialer, then press the search bar. Or you could just press the search bar on your home screen.

Or since you have a moto X, just say "Ok, Google Now, find me some pizza" and not touch anything haha. I got mine to respond to "Ok, Google", so it's even easier now.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Exactly so instead of just calling the contact you want on the dialer, it's going to use your data and gps everytime you use your dialer. Great.

Last edited:

Stang68

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
Exactly so instead of just calling the contact you want on the dialer, it's not going to use your data and gps everyone you use your dialer. Great.

Listen to Debbie Downer over here.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Lol that could add up to a lot of data used my man, I go into my dialer like 25 times a day and if it's searching local business everytime.....

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coehlcke