Moto X KitKat differences & issues

fritzo81

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Hey guys, got my KitKat update today. Anyone notice any differences with KitKat compared to the Nexus 5, like obviously the Launcher. In addition to that apparently the dialer doesn't have the business search feature. And the widget picker is still in the app drawer. Any other differences.

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
ya thats about it I think ..but I kind of having a feeling that nexus is diverging quite a bit from android AOSP and keeping some exclusive features?? kind of strange ..initially everyone thought it was only GEL, now it does seem like dialer app is also kind of nexus 5 exclusive and not in AOSP as moto x didnt get it?, android/google has done strange things this time with kitkat ..effect of sundar?

Hey guys, got my KitKat update today. Anyone notice any differences with KitKat compared to the Nexus 5, like obviously the Launcher. In addition to that apparently the dialer doesn't have the business search feature. And the widget picker is still in the app drawer. Any other differences.

cdmta

Dec 27, 2009
Visit site
How about the ability to add/delete home screens?

Sent from my Nexus 7

You'll have to get the GEL and maybe google search from N5 for that. I'm using it and didn't realize it wasn't part of the moto x kit kat due to it already being installed.
Do you guys have to transparent notifications and nav buttons?

drvier8

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
Kit Kat broke voice search on Google Search for me. The microphone icon is now an outline and the search field used to say something like "Type or say "Ok Google". Now it doesn't.

Touchless control (Ok Google Now) still works to initiate actions and searches, but once I've done a search, I can't say Ok Google to continue the searching. I've checked that voice search is checked in settings. I also cleared the data and rebooted. Still doesn't work.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Does the update force you to use your sms in hangouts. I'll be passed if so. If I wanted **** like that I would have Bought a Nexus

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

shaytoon21

Mar 8, 2012
Visit site
one thing i noticed which is REALLY annoying now....when i play music through google play....any time i received a text, the song would kinda fade to play the text jingle, i liked this bc i always knew when i received a text. now it doesnt bother fading, it just plays the jingle normally along w the music. also, i noticed active notifications doesnt always work with texts anymore as it did before 100% of the time. smh

guesswhat_567

Aug 21, 2013
Visit site
I have been testing quite a bit today after kitkat update ..seems to be working ok ..didnt miss any notifications ..you should probably try rebooting or making sure it is enabled in active notification settings?

one thing i noticed which is REALLY annoying now....when i play music through google play....any time i received a text, the song would kinda fade to play the text jingle, i liked this bc i always knew when i received a text. now it doesnt bother fading, it just plays the jingle normally along w the music. also, i noticed active notifications doesnt always work with texts anymore as it did before 100% of the time. smh

jephanie

Nov 11, 2011
Visit site
A few things I've noticed that I didn't see explicitly listed with KitKat updates:

1) The VZW Navigator was re-enabled. I had to disable it again on my and my wife's X's.
2) When viewing All Apps from the Settings, disabled apps are now listed on their own menu (swipe right to find them) instead of being listed at the bottom of the All section.
3) HP Print Service Plugin appeared out of nowhere. Had to disable it since I don't have an HP printer
4) KitKat disrupts how services can see the battery/related info. Therefore, apps like GSam no longer function without root.

anon(847090)

Jul 8, 2012
Visit site
A few things I've noticed that I didn't see explicitly listed with KitKat updates:

1) The VZW Navigator was re-enabled. I had to disable it again on my and my wife's X's.
2) When viewing All Apps from the Settings, disabled apps are now listed on their own menu (swipe right to find them) instead of being listed at the bottom of the All section.
3) HP Print Service Plugin appeared out of nowhere. Had to disable it since I don't have an HP printer
4) KitKat disrupts how services can see the battery/related info. Therefore, apps like GSam no longer function without root.

1. rare side effect of updates
2. its a change google did with android 4.3, disabled apps is now a separate tab
3. included with nexus devices as well. enable a wide range of wifi printers with kitkat

legendarydog

Android Enthusiast
Mar 13, 2011
Visit site
What I did to have a fuller kit kat experience was download nova launcher beta (novalauncher.com/beta>install latest apk on phone). In the settings, you can change the icon theme, app drawer transparency, scroll indicator, folder background color, font, nav and notification bar transparency, and more. I got really confused about what was changed and what was not because I had the launcher installed before the update. It kind of seems like a half a**ed update, but an update is better than no update, so I'm grateful. I'm disappointed that the dialer app does not do business searches and I'm wondering if the business caller ID works. Also, the update seemed to override nova launchers icons, switching the dialer app icon back to the old version. I had to download kit kat HD in order to get the new dialer icon back. It's a little thing, but I like the new icon better. Also, I hope they update Motorola assist to support hangouts.

Sent from my Moto X

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Aaahza