So apparently, our beloved GSam battery monitor is busted due to KitKat's difference in battery monitoring access.

KitKat Users: Google has removed the ability to retrieve battery monitor statistics. We are working on alternate mechanisms to gather this data - including leveraging the Xposed framework (root only). Please see the following: GSam Labs: Frequently Asked Questions - GSam Battery Monitor
    According to their info, when they are able to break the necessary coding, only rooted users will be able to access the previously available information.

We are working on solutions to this. Once the Xposed framework ([FRAMEWORK ONLY!] Xposed - ROM modding without modifying APKs (2.3.1)(10.10.2013) - xda-developers) is available for KitKat, users with Root'ed phones can install this, and enable GSam Battery Monitor in the Modules section (function still in Beta - join the Beta group to get access).
    For a non-mod kinda guy like me, this is a quite the bummer.
    11-19-2013 06:26 PM
    Duh!!!!!!

back to discussion I am not a big fan of these apps. Greenify or nothing
    11-19-2013 06:28 PM
    Duh!!!!!!
    Thanks for the helpful info.

back to discussion I am not a big fan of these apps. Greenify or nothing
    Which requires root. Thanks again for contributing to my increased knowledge. You've been most helpful.
    howdydoesit likes this.
    11-19-2013 06:36 PM
    Thanks for the helpful info.
    maybe u have never been to nexus world but when i said Duh it mean this is common when a new version of Android is rolled out and the developer need to fix the issue

I have been a nexus owner for 3 years and these things happen all the time. sorry, if u didnt get what i was trying to say
    11-19-2013 06:41 PM
    maybe u have never been to nexus world but when i said Duh it mean this is common when a new version of Android is rolled out and the developer need to fix the issue

I have been a nexus owner for 3 years and these things happen all the time. sorry, if u didnt get what i was trying to say
    Never heard of it. But thanks for explaining. That is (really) appreciated.
    11-19-2013 06:55 PM
    Wtf why would Google do this? A very apple thing to do. Very disappointed.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    11-20-2013 08:27 PM
    Wtf why would Google do this? A very apple thing to do. Very disappointed.

Sent from my Nexus 7
    It probably occurred with tighter app security restrictions. I don't think the intention was to deliberately break those apps.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-21-2013 09:26 AM
    It probably occurred with tighter app security restrictions. I don't think the intention was to deliberately break those apps.

Maybe. Still frustrating though. Apple thinks the average user doesn't need to know or care about that, so they don't even give you the option. Regardless of Google's reason, sad that the option is now gone. I never heard of any security concerns created by allowing access to that kind of battery info.

Sent from my XT1053
    11-21-2013 09:39 AM
    Maybe. Still frustrating though. Apple thinks the average user doesn't need to know or care about that, so they don't even give you the option. Regardless of Google's reason, sad that the option is now gone. I never heard of any security concerns created by allowing access to that kind of battery info.

Sent from my XT1053
    I don't think that there were new android security policies that targeted battery info access but it was stricter app sandboxing that happened to lock out access. I suspect that the app relied on access to system level files that are now shut out rather than an api that Google cut off.

11-21-2013 06:55 PM
    I got a feeeling the Gsam Battery Monitor,WakeLock Detector, and others like it wont be back except for maybe rooted phones on Kit Kat
    11-22-2013 07:07 AM
    If I were to buy a Moto X today... would it come w/ KitKat or do I have to download? Can I choose to opt out? As much as I'm typically all about latest ROMs from Google, I think it would be better to stay on 4.2.2
    11-22-2013 08:01 AM
    If you bought it today at a store then it would probably have 4.2 on it. If you ordered it from motomaker it most likely ship with 4.4 depending on carrier. You could probably delay it as long as you keep denying it but eventually it will some how manage to install its self with out your permission.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    11-22-2013 09:06 AM