why is android wasting all my battery

lzelanka

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Got my x after kitkat so don't know if that makes a difference, got it yesterday and idk if that makes a difference but i started at 95 been on for 9 hrs, with 30 minutes of screen on time, android is 57% of battery, and I'm at 42% and I feel the battery is not living up to expectations.

Posted via Android Central App

lzelanka

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Here r screen shots

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1385158084618.jpg
    1385158084618.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 1385158096081.jpg
    1385158096081.jpg
    60.6 KB · Views: 229
  • 1385158106444.jpg
    1385158106444.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 230

hobojoe196061

Feb 9, 2011
Visit site
Just because it is running doesn't necessarily mean it's draining your battery. Unless you haven't touched your phone all day and that is the reading you're getting, then you have an issue.

lzelanka

May 15, 2012
Visit site
Update on the situation. Battery life is much better, however it still says android os is using a lot. Have any of you had this?

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1385678337367.jpg
    1385678337367.jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 155
  • 1385678350939.jpg
    1385678350939.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 156
  • 1385678363597.jpg
    1385678363597.jpg
    44 KB · Views: 155

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
I have experienced similar issues with very high Android OS on the battery drain list. I think I have figured out the issue to be related to my wifi router (Asus RT-N66U) as Android OS is only very high when I am connected to wifi but today I was connected to a friends router most of the day and Android OS was not super high and my wifi battery life was much better then when at home. Going to do an idle battery drain test overnight with a different router that seems to not be causing high Android OS numbers and can report back. If it is the case it's very strange as none of my Android 4.3 devices have any issues with my Asus router.

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
The problem turned out to be something with my router as connected to my alternate router the drain issues went away. More details in my post in the main battery life thread below. Hopefully that can help you with your issue as well.

http://forums.androidcentral.com/moto-x/308529-moto-x-battery-life-16.html#post3280745

I think Im having the same issue. I have the Verizon FIOS router at home and work, so now after reading your comments I will look into the routers to see what I can figure out.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

landale

Jun 30, 2010
Visit site
Get a copy of better battery stats. It will help you figure out the cause of the wake locks to determine if it's the wifi or something else. Mine was overrun with "suspend_backoff".

So far I've made several changes to the 2.4ghz band of my router and I think I've stopped the battery drain issue. The changes I made included switching to G only, turning off WMM, changing the preamble to short and changing the beacon time to 200. Most routers might not have all of these options and I'm still not 100% convinced all of these were needed for the fix but at least I can use my regular router again.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I got a copy and of better battery stats and I see awake is most of its usage but don't know of how to see what's keeping it awake. Can you give me any tips on using this app? I turned off WMM on my router too but haven't seen a difference yet. I don't really want to change it to g only because most of my devices are n capable.

Sent from my Moto X using tapatalk

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
I got a copy and of better battery stats and I see awake is most of its usage but don't know of how to see what's keeping it awake. Can you give me any tips on using this app? I turned off WMM on my router too but haven't seen a difference yet. I don't really want to change it to g only because most of my devices are n capable.

Sent from my Moto X using tapatalk

Are you rooted?

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Also, the part where your battery stats tell you how long you've been unplugged, tap that and post a screen shot. I'm curious to see the difference between the "Awake" and "Screen On" bars.

I will say that this seems to be an odd device in how it reports Android OS. I do not game, I mostly do email, texts, facebook, light stuff like that plus occasionally watch some YouTube or Netflix, and NFL Sunday Ticket of course ;). Anyway, I always show Screen and Android OS at the top of my list, yet my battery life is phenomenal. I'm thinking it might just have to do with the way that the Moto X's enhancements are logged by the OS. I get a ton of emails, texts, etc during the day meaning I get a ton of active notifications. I also use Touchless Control a decent amount (probably 4-6 times a day). If Touchless Control and Active Notifications report to Android OS, then, in my case, it makes sense that it and the screen would be at the top of the list. It's not like Android OS itself is a battery hog on my device, the way I use it, seeing how I get 24 - 36 hours out of a charge on wifi most of the day, and about 16-20 hours when on 4G most of the day.

In your case, it seems like something is up. I don't think it's necessarily related to "Android OS" being high. You probably have some stuff churning in the background that is keeping your phone awake when the screen is off. If you want, try some suggestions I posted earlier tonight here in another thread. Give it a couple of days and see if things don't get better. I did not mention in the other thread, but that stuff is how I set up all of my devices. Despite that, I had some weird partial wakelock stuff going on for several days after I first got my device. In fact, it took 7 days after unboxing and updating to KitKat before things smoothed out. Every so often I'll have some apps that do nutty stuff (like Slice keeping the device awake and then randomly crashing) but I think it has to do with things not being updated to 4.4 more than anything else. A reboot fixes it.

Xterror

Mar 12, 2010
Visit site
I am not rooted. The phone is a huge improvement compared to my Gnex I replaced it with, but I have a feeling I should be getting better battery life. Here is a screenshot I took right now.

Screenshot_2013-12-05-15-18-30.png

Screenshot_2013-12-05-15-18-10.png

adrialk

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
I am not rooted. The phone is a huge improvement compared to my Gnex I replaced it with, but I have a feeling I should be getting better battery life. Here is a screenshot I took right now.

View attachment 95404

View attachment 95405

You have a significant wakelock based on your awake time. Try a restart to clear it up.

If that doesn't work, try safe mode to see if you have a rogue app.
https://motorola-global-portal.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/69361

To determine if it's wifi related, try idling the phone overnight with both wifi and mobile data off.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
Check partial and kernel wakelocks in better battery stats. You have a significant wakelock based on your awake time.

He's not going to be able to do that without root.

adrialk

Jul 26, 2012
Visit site
Wow you guys are quick. I updated my post with more suggestions after I realized you need root to check wakelocks in 4.4

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arslan