Navigation over bluetooth

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
I was listening to a podcast this morning while navigating to a location. The podcast's audio would pause while the voice assist directions were presumably being spoken but I couldn't hear them. I checked my volume and it was turned up all the way. What gives? My iPhone would just talk over the audio stream (be it podcast, music, whatever) to read the directions and it played fine over my car stereo. Is there a setting I'm missing? TIA.

(Another nitpick - if I say "Ok Google Now How do I get to [place]?", I expect it to give me navigation directions, not just give me a map... Even Siri does this right!?!)

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
What audio app are you using?

I just tested the Google now question, and I used 'Driving directions to Ford dealership' and I got my choice of which app to use, I picked Maps, picked which dealership, and yes it did just give me a route, but also with the Navigation button at the bottom.

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
What audio app are you using?

I just tested the Google now question, and I used 'Driving directions to Ford dealership' and I got my choice of which app to use, I picked Maps, picked which dealership, and yes it did just give me a route, but also with the Navigation button at the bottom.
I was using PocketCasts. And, guys, having to tap a button to navigate isn't really a solution. When I'm driving, I don't want to have to tap my screen, not to mention dialog boxes and user agreements! (And please don't say "well, you should get your directions before you start driving" or some other dismissive statement. The whole point of voice commands is to just use my voice. Again, even Siri does it right.)

Chase Lilly

Nov 15, 2013
Visit site
I tell it to navigate to a place and it does. It only makes you choose which app to use one if you choose the always use this option.
Not sure about the Bluetooth thing. Im using dogcatcher and it stops the podcast to say the navigation. I'm just using my lg tone plus headphones though. My radio does not have Bluetooth.

Posted via Android Central App

tjriley

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, Navigation over Bluetooth while using Pocket Casts works for me. I was having the same issue when I first got the Moto X on 4.2.2. I wish I could tell you how I fixed it but it just started working for me. You may want to try turning the volume up during navigation with Bluetooth disconnected and then try it again with Bluetooth connected.

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
FWIW, Navigation over Bluetooth while using Pocket Casts works for me. I was having the same issue when I first got the Moto X on 4.2.2. I wish I could tell you how I fixed it but it just started working for me. You may want to try turning the volume up during navigation with Bluetooth disconnected and then try it again with Bluetooth connected.

Good to know that it works for someone. I'm running 4.4 if that matters. Is there a separate navigation volume to adjust or is it just the volume rocker?

tjriley

Jul 3, 2010
Visit site
Just the volume rocker. I'm on 4.4 now as well and it still works. Wish I had a solution. It drove me nuts for a couple of weeks.

readhpr

Sep 3, 2011
Visit site
I was using PocketCasts. And, guys, having to tap a button to navigate isn't really a solution. When I'm driving, I don't want to have to tap my screen, not to mention dialog boxes and user agreements! (And please don't say "well, you should get your directions before you start driving" or some other dismissive statement. The whole point of voice commands is to just use my voice. Again, even Siri does it right.)

Works for me. I have Assist turned on for driving, and my car's Bluetooth is set as a trusted Bluetooth device. With the car audio set on Bluetooth and my phone in my pocket, I said "OK Google" and paused for a couple of seconds for it to wake up, then said "Navigate to work" and it gave me turn by turn directions to my office through the car speakers. I don't think it works if I'm listening to the car radio, but am not 100% sure of that and need to try it again.

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
It worked tonight with Rdio so I wonder if it's just something with pocket casts. That said, Google Now is seemingly broken for me. I said "ok Google now. Navigate home." It pulled up the right address (I had to tap Navigate again, but that's a different issue.) I knew the way home so I let it try to get me there, going my usual way. It kept trying to get me to go some strange route. Finally, I looked down to see where the hell it was taking me - it was navigating me back to my destination from this morning! Even though the address in the directions was in fact my home address. Unbelievable.

But at least it was playing the audio over my stereo. ;) :lol: BTW, I'm one of the odd users who never had trouble with poor Apple Maps directions. Go figure!

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Well at least you got something to work the way you want.
As for the voice controls, hopefully Google will get them ironed out.

From a Sprint Moto X using AC forums app