Frustrated at iMessage Intercepting Texts after Switching to Android

ShoelerDroid

Oct 31, 2013
Visit site
It's no different from Moto "Connect" or Google Hangouts for SMS. Just because people actually *use* iMessage doesn't make it different. This is what I hate about some Android users - the blind hatred for Apple. It's kind of ridiculous.

Right - and Apple users don't blindly hate or constantly spout the Jobs BS quote about Android stealing Apple IP right?

Apple could fix this with a "disassociate my phone number" button. The fact that they don't is telling.

Posted via Android Central App

johnnyfear

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Single user experience here, had 1 out of 3 friends that couldn't text me after I switched from iPhone. I unregistered my phone from Apple's system and turned off iMessage on it but the one friend could still not text me. After he restarted his phone he was able to SMS me as normal.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Right - and Apple users don't blindly hate or constantly spout the Jobs BS quote about Android stealing Apple IP right?

Apple could fix this with a "disassociate my phone number" button. The fact that they don't is telling.

Yup, it's like trying to cancel an AOL membership. Anyone else go through that misery way back when?

Single user experience here, had 1 out of 3 friends that couldn't text me after I switched from iPhone. I unregistered my phone from Apple's system and turned off iMessage on it but the one friend could still not text me. After he restarted his phone he was able to SMS me as normal.

Yeah, but that's part of the problem...you shouldn't have to get your friends to do anything.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Just like Apple to use something different from the rest of the world to send text/SMS messages. Just like Apples other software... a pain in the A**.. Then when someone wants to change services its a real brew haha to do something else. And dont get me started on iTunes

Yet this is what a lot of people want Hangouts on Android to be. lol

It's not nearly that simple. Most of the hatred for Apple is justified.

sent from my Galaxy S3 rocking Cyanogenmod

..lol.

Last edited:

farb12

Dec 21, 2011
Visit site
How are you not missing iMessages when on your Moto X? I've missed too many to count since last Thursday.

I just turn iMessage off and power down the device before I pull my Sim card out.

My entire family has iPhones and use iMessage. I've never had a problem getting texts from any of them when I'm using the Moto X.

Beyond Fire

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
Maybe you should have your friends make sure "send as SMS" option is on when iMessage is not available. It's under the settings menu for messages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
I got my new custom Moto X last Thursday. Had already researched all the complaints and completed the fixes (given by all of you greats here on AC) in regards to switching from iOS to Android before activating my Moto X. iMessages is turned off, phone number and all related fruit products have been de-registered/removed from all related device managers. I am continuously missing texts due to most of my contacts owning fruit phones. This is both a personal and business issue and it CANNOT go on any longer. I'm at wits end and do not know what to do. Any help is greatly appreciated!

Is this ridiculous? Yes. Can a call to Apple get it fixed in literally 5 minutes? Yes. They'll put your phone number (on any type of phone) into a system, then you'll get a text verification code to prove you're you, then you're good to go.

doitlarge

Dec 22, 2009
Visit site
point is...i shouldn't have to waste time doing any of this....i can't thank everyone enough for all your input! AC makes for a good forum home.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

bobbob1016

Dec 7, 2010
Visit site
point is...i shouldn't have to waste time doing any of this....i can't thank everyone enough for all your input! AC makes for a good forum home.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

Playing devil's advocate, Apple suggests turning off iMessage for troubleshooting. They basically need to know if you're doing it in general or just for troubleshooting. Yes, they could fix that, but as it stands now, the system needs to know explicitly that you aren't coming back. Otherwise, people who do it just for a little and stay on an iPhone would have more problems with iMessage. It is literally a 5 minute call (if the rep knows what they're doing).

Should it be more transparent? Yes. Is this still BS with Apple making it painful to leave? Yes. Do I think a 5 minute call is outrageous and you shouldn't do it out of principle? No.

Last edited:

projectman

Mar 22, 2013
Visit site
Have your friend delete Your contact from their phone.
Have them re-add you as a completely new contact with your name and number only.
Shouldn't have any issues after that.

The friend may need to delete existing conversations in addition to deleting/re-adding contact info. Sounds similar to a reverse problem in my household recently. For some reason the iPhone could not sent to a specific Android device (doubt if that had anything to do with it though). We deleted and re-added the "offending" contact info but problem still existed. Once we followed up by deleting the existing conversation it worked. Just sayin'. I might be able to get away with saying this since I do use iDevices... Apple can be irritating at times. This sounds like one of those times. Good luck!

torifile

Jul 9, 2010
Visit site
It's not nearly that simple. Most of the hatred for Apple is justified.

sent from my Galaxy S3 rocking Cyanogenmod
Oh. Burn. Give some examples, please.
Do you know what a straw man argument is? This.

I'm a huge Apple fan. Have been for years. I have only Apple computers at home and at work. All my employees get iPhones. I have owned Apple stock for over 10 years. You won't find a bigger Apple supporter. But I've never spouted any Jobs' quotes about Android. But don't let the facts get in the way of a good boogieman.

This I totally agree with.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Yet this is what a lot of people want Hangouts on Android to be. lol

..lol.

Actually, SMS integration with Hangouts was done quite well in my opinion, at least conceptually (I do admit there are still some wrinkles to be ironed out with the app itself). Sure, with the current version of Hangout w/ SMS support, the 2 services (SMS and Hangouts messaging) are essentially 2 separate services being managed by 1 app, and it's not nearly as seamless as iMessage is...but that's not really what I would want in the first place.

Hangouts may not be the best SMS app...yet, but when used for actual Hangouts messaging it works great. I love the fact that I can get my message on ALL my devices and desktop computer, group messaging works great, there's support for sending pics and even animated GIF files...and all of my friends and family can use it, even those with iPhones. The problem is, however, that simply not that many people use it. Yeah, most folks with gmail will be available when their browser is open, but most of my friends have never even opened the Hangouts app on their phone. I was really hoping that SMS integration would cause a lot more folks to use Hangouts, but it doesn't really accomplish that because it's not like you're forced to use the app for SMS if you don't want to (nor should you be...I'm just sayin')

The other thing that I'd really like to have with the Hangouts app is the ability to view if my contacts are online when I go send them a message (as it does on the desktop client)...that would make it easier for me to say, "Oh, Dave is on Hangouts, I'll just shoot him a message there" instead of, "I don't even know if Dave uses Hangouts...better just send him a boring 'ol SMS text message"

Long story short...what I really want... If I have someone's gmail address in my contacts, I want to be able to send them a Hangouts message and know they'll get it.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site
Actually, SMS integration with Hangouts was done quite well in my opinion, at least conceptually (I do admit there are still some wrinkles to be ironed out with the app itself). Sure, with the current version of Hangout w/ SMS support, the 2 services (SMS and Hangouts messaging) are essentially 2 separate services being managed by 1 app, and it's not nearly as seamless as iMessage is...but that's not really what I would want in the first place.

Hangouts may not be the best SMS app...yet, but when used for actual Hangouts messaging it works great. I love the fact that I can get my message on ALL my devices and desktop computer, group messaging works great, there's support for sending pics and even animated GIF files...and all of my friends and family can use it, even those with iPhones. The problem is, however, that simply not that many people use it. Yeah, most folks with gmail will be available when their browser is open, but most of my friends have never even opened the Hangouts app on their phone. I was really hoping that SMS integration would cause a lot more folks to use Hangouts, but it doesn't really accomplish that because it's not like you're forced to use the app for SMS if you don't want to (nor should you be...I'm just sayin')

The other thing that I'd really like to have with the Hangouts app is the ability to view if my contacts are online when I go send them a message (as it does on the desktop client)...that would make it easier for me to say, "Oh, Dave is on Hangouts, I'll just shoot him a message there" instead of, "I don't even know if Dave uses Hangouts...better just send him a boring 'ol SMS text message"

Long story short...what I really want... If I have someone's gmail address in my contacts, I want to be able to send them a Hangouts message and know they'll get it.

SMS and Hangouts messages not being integrated was one of the main complaints of the new SMS-enabled Hangouts. The argument is that Hangouts should know that I'm sending an SMS and IMing the same person and the threads should be merged.

Now I'm totally fine keeping them separate - in fact I don't integrate my own SMS with Hangouts, just pointing out one of the major criticisms of Hangouts "2.0".

iphone5s

Jul 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm at wits end and do not know what to do. Any help is greatly appreciated!

iphone users must select the ability for ios to send messages as "SMS" if the other party is not an iphone. Off on the iphone is default. Maybe some of your contacts have not yet selected this "SMS" option in their iphone settings.

Settings/Messages/Send as SMS/ <on>
imessage.PNG

johnnyfear

Oct 4, 2013
Visit site
Yup, it's like trying to cancel an AOL membership. Anyone else go through that misery way back when?
Yeah, but that's part of the problem...you shouldn't have to get your friends to do anything.
I wasn't trying to justify it but provide info that could possibly help the OP, as inconvenient as it is to have to go through this process with your friends/contacts.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wei34