Frustrated at iMessage Intercepting Texts after Switching to Android

gabbott

Trusted Member
Mar 22, 2010
Visit site
SMS and Hangouts messages not being integrated was one of the main complaints of the new SMS-enabled Hangouts. The argument is that Hangouts should know that I'm sending an SMS and IMing the same person and the threads should be merged.

When I first tried Hangouts 2.0 and finding out hangouts and SMS conversations weren't merged was a disappointment to me. But then I got to thinking a reason they don't do that (at least in it's current implementation). Since SMS is local to the phone and hangouts can sync to multiple devices, it might detract from the user experience in that when one switched to another device, part of their full conversation would be missing. Yet it would all be there when viewed on the phone. Might be confusing to some.

Once they can get SMS syncing, then I can see them merging them into a single conversation.

paintdrinkingpete

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
SMS and Hangouts messages not being integrated was one of the main complaints of the new SMS-enabled Hangouts. The argument is that Hangouts should know that I'm sending an SMS and IMing the same person and the threads should be merged.

Now I'm totally fine keeping them separate - in fact I don't integrate my own SMS with Hangouts, just pointing out one of the major criticisms of Hangouts "2.0".

When I first tried Hangouts 2.0 and finding out hangouts and SMS conversations weren't merged was a disappointment to me. But then I got to thinking a reason they don't do that (at least in it's current implementation). Since SMS is local to the phone and hangouts can sync to multiple devices, it might detract from the user experience in that when one switched to another device, part of their full conversation would be missing. Yet it would all be there when viewed on the phone. Might be confusing to some.

Once they can get SMS syncing, then I can see them merging them into a single conversation.

That's my take on it as well. I didn't expect it to be exactly like iMessage, because Hangouts in and of itself is much different than iMessage. As I said, I don't mind the separation between different "types" of conversations, I just wish it was easier to tell which of my contacts are available for Hangouts messaging vs. SMS.

I wasn't trying to justify it but provide info that could possibly help the OP, as inconvenient as it is to have to go through this process with your friends/contacts.

I understand that, and any negativity in my comment certainly wasn't directed at you, but rather in the process itself.

rozroz

Nov 5, 2013
Visit site
i gave up on hangouts ATM. the app still has some things that made it less comfortable than just the SMS app. (tiny annoying things).
anyway, i only got around 2-3 people worth the "hangout" (99% have Iphones in my case), so, not thanks.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
So has anybody found out a legit way to fix this problem? I'm getting my X tomorrow and don't really want any issues. From what I hear I should go through iCloud on my computer and deactivate my number from iMessage from there. Is that right? Or am I missing something?

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
So has anybody found out a legit way to fix this problem? I'm getting my X tomorrow and don't really want any issues. From what I hear I should go through iCloud on my computer and deactivate my number from iMessage from there. Is that right? Or am I missing something?

Just be sure to turn off iMessage on the iPhone while it still has active cellular service. If you use any other iOS devices that you also have iMessage turned on and associated with your cell number be sure to check iMessage settings on them and unselect your cell number as an option on that device, this goes for Mac computers too if you use them. You can also unregister your iPhone from your Apple ID if you are not going to use it anymore but I only do that if I'm selling the device. I have switched back and forth many times and only use the first steps of turning off iMessage on my devices that use my cell number and it has always worked without issue. The real problems happen when people don't turn iMessage off before they activate their cell number on a non-apple phone.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Just be sure to turn off iMessage on the iPhone while it still has active cellular service. If you use any other iOS devices that you also have iMessage turned on and associated with your cell number be sure to check iMessage settings on them and unselect your cell number as an option on that device, this goes for Mac computers too if you use them. You can also unregister your iPhone from your Apple ID if you are not going to use it anymore but I only do that if I'm selling the device. I have switched back and forth many times and only use the first steps of turning off iMessage on my devices that use my cell number and it has always worked without issue. The real problems happen when people don't turn iMessage off before they activate their cell number on a non-apple phone.

Thank you. I will be sure to turn off iMessage on my iPhone before I activate my Moto X tomorrow. I'm extremely excited.

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Thank you. I will be sure to turn off iMessage on my iPhone before I activate my Moto X tomorrow. I'm extremely excited.

Just to be sure, turn it off now and send a couple of texts to other iPhones. If you are on iOS 6 or iOS 7 with iMessage the text bubbles and send button are blue, without iMessage (standard SMS) they will be green. Make sure your sent and received are green and you are go to go.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
Just to be sure, turn it off now and send a couple of texts to other iPhones. If you are on iOS 6 or iOS 7 with iMessage the text bubbles and send button are blue, without iMessage (standard SMS) they will be green. Make sure your sent and received are green and you are go to go.

Yup, I know that with iMessage off, SMS's are green. The sent messages still stay a gray shade from my point if view, but I understand what you meant.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site

So, today was the day. I went out and got my Moto X. I turned off iMessage last night and unfortunately I have hit the "Not getting texts" wall. I still kept my iPhone because of this reason. Anybody have any ideas of what else I could do? I'm sure there is a simple fix. Thanks in advance!

Other than the texts, loving my X. Glad I made the switch back.

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
My son got an S4 for Christmas. We made sure he turned off iMessage, Facetime and also removed the iPhone from his profile on iCloud. It took over 24 hours for all texts to start to come through. On Christmas morning my wife was not able to text him but my daughter was (they both have iPhones). It is all good now.

Sent via the X!

mhunter6378

May 15, 2013
Visit site
So, today was the day. I went out and got my Moto X. I turned off iMessage last night and unfortunately I have hit the "Not getting texts" wall. I still kept my iPhone because of this reason. Anybody have any ideas of what else I could do? I'm sure there is a simple fix. Thanks in advance!

Other than the texts, loving my X. Glad I made the switch back.

The problem may not be on your end. In iOS 6 and iOS 7 there is a setting within general settings under Messages, Send as SMS, and it has an on/off slider switch. By default iPhones have this function turned off when using iMessage. If you send a text to someone you have previously texted who has an iPhone and the new text is received in a conversation thread started while you used an iPhone and their iPhone is setup up with the SMS switch in the off position they will receive your text but any reply they send back will fail. I had this very same situation happen to me today with a friend who I have not texted since I used an iPhone. My text showed up in an old iMessage thread and he replied within that thread and it failed. When I saw him, we checked his phone and SMS was turned off as I described. When turned on I got his text without any problem. This situation only seems to occur as described when the text are exchanged within a thread where you once used iMessage and now are not. New text conversation threads don't seem to be affected by this.

mynameis

Apr 19, 2011
Visit site
The problem may not be on your end. In iOS 6 and iOS 7 there is a setting within general settings under Messages, Send as SMS, and it has an on/off slider switch. By default iPhones have this function turned off when using iMessage. If you send a text to someone you have previously texted who has an iPhone and the new text is received in a conversation thread started while you used an iPhone and their iPhone is setup up with the SMS switch in the off position they will receive your text but any reply they send back will fail. I had this very same situation happen to me today with a friend who I have not texted since I used an iPhone. My text showed up in an old iMessage thread and he replied within that thread and it failed. When I saw him, we checked his phone and SMS was turned off as I described. When turned on I got his text without any problem. This situation only seems to occur as described when the text are exchanged within a thread where you once used iMessage and now are not. New text conversation threads don't seem to be affected by this.

It works now!.. I think! I had to turn on "send SMS" on my girlfriends phone for it to work. But I can't do that with everyone. I switched to using hangouts instead of the default SMS and my cousin started texting me. It worked completely fine with her and she has an iPhone, but I'm kinda worried that it's not gonna work with others for some reason. Maybe just paranoia, but I guess I'll have to wait and see.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie