Any way to I prove the screen's whites?

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
I know a lot of this is determined by screen type. Really the only thing that drives me a little nuts about the X is the white screens are dull/grayish/brownish. When I look at the Nexus 5, iPhone, or Galaxy Note 3, their whites really pop. Is their a way to tweak settings somewhere to change color balance.

I appreciate any input.

Thank you

Sent from my Moto X via Tapatalk

Golfdriver97

Trusted Member Team Leader
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I know a lot of this is determined by screen type. Really the only thing that drives me a little nuts about the X is the white screens are dull/grayish/brownish. When I look at the Nexus 5, iPhone, or Galaxy Note 3, their whites really pop. Is their a way to tweak settings somewhere to change color balance.

I appreciate any input.

Thank you

Sent from my Moto X via Tapatalk

As far as I know, no. That is the nature of the type of screen, to not have a true white.

EDIT: But, they shouldn't be that much of an off white, either. How long have you had the device?

atakin77

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Only thing I can think of to improve the whites is to bump up the brightness, but you will obviously sacrifice some battery life for that.

Sent from my XT1060 using AC Forums mobile app

mayconvert

Apr 23, 2013
Visit site
Do you have the white phone or blk phone? At best buy and att they have both models side by side and the white is better on the blk phone. I have no idea why but its the same on both phones at two different locations.

Posted via Android Central App

JungleLarry

Dec 2, 2010
Visit site
Do you have the white phone or blk phone? At best buy and att they have both models side by side and the white is better on the blk phone. I have no idea why but its the same on both phones at two different locations.

Posted via Android Central App
The strength of AMOLED panels lies in their ability to produce deep blacks. Their weakness is usually color accuracy, most noticeably in white areas. If you put an AMOLED panel next to a white reference (the bezel of a phone, for instance), it will look off. On the other hand, because they produce blacks so well, having a black bezel doesn't diminish their quality at all, and will probably show better perceived color accuracy on white screens since there is no color reference next to the display. That's why when I bought my phone I made sure to steer clear of the white fronts.

However, the Moto X does have a pretty darn color-accurate screen when compared for an AMOLED display. The problem is that when you're comparing to other devices, a) they may be inaccurate in a completely opposite direction, thus heightening your perception that your screen is off, and/or b) the Moto X display simply isn't very bright when set next to IPS displays, which might make it seem dull or dim.

Check out AnandTech's reviews of the Moto X (AnandTech | Moto X Review) and the iPhone 5s (AnandTech | The iPhone 5s Review) displays.

mush10

Nov 3, 2013
Visit site
As far as I know, no. That is the nature of the type of screen, to not have a true white.

EDIT: But, they shouldn't be that much of an off white, either. How long have you had the device?

I had since launch basically and it is a black one. I notice it most in the email apps.

I had heard it was the screen, I was hoping maybe there was something I could tweak that would help a little.

Thanks for the input everyone.

Posted via Galaxy Note 3

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jokomad