Hi all,

Just upgraded my wife and I to the Moto X on VZ. We are coming from GNex's on Sprint - finally got fed up with the horrible Sprint service in our area. Now, on to some observations and questions about the X.

* How best to start music with voice commands? I have set Google (Now?) to use Play Music. If I say "play Gin Wigmore" it starts Music, and shows an icon with her info under "Artists" but doesn't start playing anything even though I have the full album on the phone in the Music library. If I say "play some Willie Nelson" it plays a couple tracks that have "Willie Nelson" in the song title, but not either of the full Willie Nelson albums I have on the phone.

* The Google Navigaton voice seems really harsh at times. I don't think this is an issue with the phone, but maybe the version of Maps/Nav? One second it is the normal pleasant voice saying "In 2 miles" and then it's this really brash "turn left". I haven't tried through Bluetooth yet to see if it's the Moto X speaker or the voice itself. Anyone else notice this?

* Some of the colors do seem a little oversaturated, which I read can be typical for this screen type (although I think the GNex was the same type?). In particular the large red button to end a call-in-progress is a really bright, almost pinkish red.

* Is there any way to choose which active notification you want to unlock the phone with? That is, if the AN screen shows a Gmail icon and an SMS icon, can I choose which one I want to view? It seems that you can only dismiss or unlock directly to whichever AN is most recent - is that right? I also think it's a little weird that when you pick up the phone and it breathes just the time (no notifications) you have to swipe down to unlock, but if you hit the power button you get the regular unlock screen where you can unlock in any direction.

* Not specific to the X, but I'm sick of all the updates to the Gmail app. I hate the colorful letters for the sender, I hate not having the multi-select checkboxes anymore... I'm trying a few other mail apps but so far each has been missing one or two things to make it "just right"!

I'm sure I'll have more as I use the phone more!
    11-26-2013 04:59 PM
    Hi all,

* Not specific to the X, but I'm sick of all the updates to the Gmail app. I hate the colorful letters for the sender, I hate not having the multi-select checkboxes anymore... I'm trying a few other mail apps but so far each has been missing one or two things to make it "just right"!

I'm sure I'll have more as I use the phone more!
    u can make colorful letters to checkbox in settings... also if you click the colorful letter it becomes a checkbox
    bswiz likes this.
    11-26-2013 05:20 PM
    * Is there any way to choose which active notification you want to unlock the phone with? That is, if the AN screen shows a Gmail icon and an SMS icon, can I choose which one I want to view? It seems that you can only dismiss or unlock directly to whichever AN is most recent - is that right? I also think it's a little weird that when you pick up the phone and it breathes just the time (no notifications) you have to swipe down to unlock, but if you hit the power button you get the regular unlock screen where you can unlock in any direction.
    If you have multiple notifications you can only act on the most recent one.

The Active Notification screen has the swipe down to unlock because the swipe right or left is dedicated to dismiss notifications from breathing and up is to view the most recent notification.

If you want to remove the colorful letters, go to Settings --> General Settings --> then uncheck Sender Image. The updated way to select multiple emails is to press and hold the first email you want to select then just press each additional email. When you are finish choose the action you want performed at the top.
    11-26-2013 05:44 PM
    u can make colorful letters to checkbox in settings... also if you click the colorful letter it becomes a checkbox
    Thanks, they must have added that in one of the more recent updates, and I missed it. Still not crazy over the giant letters, but at least I can more easily select multiple emails now.
    11-26-2013 07:02 PM
    If you have multiple notifications you can only act on the most recent one.

The Active Notification screen has the swipe down to unlock because the swipe right or left is dedicated to dismiss notifications from breathing and up is to view the most recent notification.
    Right, but in the case where there are no active notifications (only the time), I still need to swipe down even though there's nothing to dismiss or view.

If you want to remove the colorful letters, go to Settings --> General Settings --> then uncheck Sender Image. The updated way to select multiple emails is to press and hold the first email you want to select then just press each additional email. When you are finish choose the action you want performed at the top.
    Thanks, I knew about this but didn't really like the hold to select functionality - I found that often I wouldn't get it quite right, and the message would open. I also knew about turning off the sender images. With the tip from Still1, I can live with the sender images since you can do a multi-select just by tapping on the image. What I really would like is, if you turn off sender images, it displays the old-school check boxes for multi-select.
    11-26-2013 07:05 PM