The best Android phone you can buy ​? the Moto X

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Most of the people looking down up on moto x have'nt really used one as a daily driver to make up any unbiased opinion on it, they are mostly going by specs or stuck in bigger is better mind set ..

Posted via Android Central App

I have used it thoroughly. I didn't mind the screen being less than perfect or having to plug it in mid day to make it. Yes, the nexus 5 screen makes the moto x screen look a tiny bit jaggery, but when the moto x is out on its own, it looks great. It is not the best of anything really, but the overall picture of the moto x makes it one of the best you can buy. I am seriously considering a dev edition when black Friday hits! Hail moto!

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I have used it thoroughly. I didn't mind the screen being less than perfect or having to plug it in mid day to make it. Yes, the nexus 5 screen makes the moto x screen look a tiny bit jaggery, but when the moto x is out on its own, it looks great. It is not the best of anything really, but the overall picture of the moto x makes it one of the best you can buy. I am seriously considering a dev edition when black Friday hits! Hail moto!
Looks like it's going to be on sale for $400 on Cyber Monday. The best Android phone you can buy is $150 off on Monday | Android Central
Just wait a few more days :D

brett328

Mar 21, 2011
Visit site
Well I have to agree. The active display is turning out to be a big deal for me, this will get copied by many very soon. The ergonomics are the best, no contest. I am also surpised how much I like the touchless controls as well. Battery is better than I had expected, the motorola connect is cool too (all messages and phone calls synced real time in any chrome browser on any pc). etc, etc, ...

oh yeah, forgot to mention I got it for 1 penny with my upgrade on Amazon. Ridiculously good. So good I gave up my unlimited data to get it.

bbycrts

Jul 27, 2011
Visit site
Does anyone have any problem with the (comparitively small) screen size? That's my only concern here, as technology moves toward, screens keep getting bigger and bigger. I'm worried about it being a little too small.

Where does it stop? At some point screens will go from being "big" to being "way too big". I always thought 4.3 was my limit with the Razr M, but now that the X has packaged the 4.7 into a very tidy package I'm good with it. But I can't see going larger than 4.7 (for me) and being comfortable with it. It is definitely personal preference, though.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Where does it stop? At some point screens will go from being "big" to being "way too big". I always thought 4.3 was my limit with the Razr M, but now that the X has packaged the 4.7 into a very tidy package I'm good with it. But I can't see going larger than 4.7 (for me) and being comfortable with it. It is definitely personal preference, though.

I'm sure you felt that exact same way when you had the RAZR. I know it's far too early but I am already looking forward to the Moto X2. Although the 4.7 inch screen is nice I'd prefer something around 4.9 and hopefully higher resolution.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

I thought 4.3 was going to be huge (DROID Bionic). But edge-to-edge makes a different. My Moto X essentially fits a 4.7" screen in that DROID Bionic-sized body.

I don't think I could go bigger for a daily driver though.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
I thought 4.3 was going to be huge (DROID Bionic). But edge-to-edge makes a different. My Moto X essentially fits a 4.7" screen in that DROID Bionic-sized body.

I don't think I could go bigger for a daily driver though.
Hmm. The 4.7 inches is diagonal right? The S4 screen is only .3 inches larger than the Moto X screen but it seems a lot wider. How do they measure the screen?
I wonder how big the phone would be if it were closer to 5

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
keep in mind X has on screen buttons, so "usable" area of the screen is more like 4.4" compared to a phone with capacitive buttons. So s4 with its capacitive buttons will seem much larger than the X than 5" vs 4.7" would lead you to believe.

Sent from my XT1053

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
keep in mind X has on screen buttons, so "usable" area of the screen is more like 4.4" compared to a phone with capacitive buttons. So s4 with its capacitive buttons will seem much larger than the X than 5" vs 4.7" would lead you to believe.

Sent from my XT1053

I know but I'm starting to like the on-screen buttons. I prefer hardware buttons but if having them on-screen allows you to have a smaller phone than I'll take that over hardware buttons any day

phositadc

Mar 9, 2010
Visit site
I know but I'm starting to like the on-screen buttons. I prefer hardware buttons but if having them on-screen allows you to have a smaller phone than I'll take that over hardware buttons any day

I agree I love on screen buttons.

Sent from my XT1053

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site

After the onscreen buttons of the Galaxy Nexus, I don't want a phone with capacitive or hardware buttons.

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
After the onscreen buttons of the Galaxy Nexus, I don't want a phone with capacitive or hardware buttons.

I've never had a phone with on-screen buttons so I wouldn't know exactly how they compare but they seemed alright when I was playing around with a Moto X at an AT&T store :p

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
the majority of people seem to disagree with the notion that the Moto X is the best Android phone on the market. Poor sales numbers seem to point that out.

Sales numbers aren't an indicator of how good a phone is or even how well it suits the average customer. If that were true, the iPhone would be deemed the best phone, and the Nexus 4 would be considered among the worst.

return_0

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
****If you're on contract and especially on VZW
Remember, at least for now, the moto X is $349 off contract. But other than during this deal, I guess Nexus phones would be a better deal.

don't care much about reading or gaming
Have we really gotten to the point where a 720p screen is considered bad for reading? I can read perfectly fine on my 768p Nexus 4, so I don't see how it would be difficult on the Moto X.
And likewise, is the Snapdragon S4 Pro really considered bad for gaming? It's only a step below the Snapdragon 600, and again, from experience from my N4, I have no problem with playing games (even 3D games). Truth is, while the Moto X doesn't have the best specs, it's still a powerhouse.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sandersc