12-18-2013 12:38 AM
1,266 ... 2526272829 ...
tools
    I don't understand how the website would be down for like what, 90% of the day? I don't know, either way, I hope it gets figured out for Wednesday.
    It sounds like the huge influx of traffic completely broke how motomaker works. The website was up quickly, but it was motomaker itself that was the bottleneck. I don't think the system was built to handle the traffic it got.

If they had offered the normal 16/32gb models in the black and white woven outside of motomaker it would have helped offload some traffic.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    12-02-2013 11:33 PM
    Not the same thing, what if people are unavailable those days/times? Even if they are, they have to waste more of their time to try again with no guarantee.
    Am I missing something? I understand the frustration, but nobody is ENTITLED to getting a phone at the Cyber Monday price. People might have been waiting for a long time today, but there was no guarantee that everyone who wanted to take advantage of the promotion would be able to do so. It was a crapshoot today just as it will be on Wednesday and next Monday.
    12-02-2013 11:38 PM
    Blaming the techs is the easy and natural direction to go, but really management or perhaps marketing is to blame for possibly horrible communications with those in charge of the website/database. I can't imagine the IT group is that inept.
    I said someone in charge of the website. Management. Not some tech programmer; but someone who was in charge and apparently didn't have things in control.
    12-02-2013 11:46 PM
    Am I missing something? I understand the frustration, but nobody is ENTITLED to getting a phone at the Cyber Monday price. People might have been waiting for a long time today, but there was no guarantee that everyone who wanted to take advantage of the promotion would be able to do so. It was a crapshoot today just as it will be on Wednesday and next Monday.
    True, but if you had a design and credit card already saved in their system (as Motorola suggested) and were up at 8am CST your odds would have been very good if their site had worked even halfway decent or had they at a minimum updated the price. Many people modified their schedules today around this deal, not very professional of them to tell their customers to do it again.
    12-02-2013 11:47 PM
    The point is that it wasn't available at all and Motorola kept saying please wait while we fix the problem. 14 hours later they finally say it will be available........at another time! They weren't sold out of stock, because they didn't sell any. I'm sure Motorola didn't foresee this happening, but it was handled very poorly.
    12-02-2013 11:48 PM
    It sounds like the huge influx of traffic completely broke how motomaker works. The website was up quickly, but it was motomaker itself that was the bottleneck. I don't think the system was built to handle the traffic it got.
    there were lots of people with their designs in their carts whose only problem was the price wasn't showing as the sale price after the sale had already started. OR they were given cannot check out with a moto x at this time messages. The designs were already made.

If they had offered the normal 16/32gb models in the black and white woven outside of motomaker it would have helped offload some traffic.
    I think they were, I saw some people who got the TMobile ones.
    12-02-2013 11:49 PM
    there were lots of people with their designs in their carts whose only problem was the price wasn't showing as the sale price after the sale had already started. OR they were given cannot check out with a moto x at this time messages. The designs were already made.

I think they were, I say some people who got those from TMobile.
    Again, the problem was with motomaker. The checkout is part of motomaker. Something in that process was broken during the huge spike in traffic, and they weren't confident that it would hold up against more traffic if they reopened it.

Also, one big thing everyone is missing is that, even though it was a headache, the end result is that Motorola is DOUBLING the supply of handsets available. I'd say that's a win in the long run.

Sent from my LG-D801 using Tapatalk
    12-02-2013 11:52 PM
    Again, the problem was with motomaker. The checkout is part of motomaker.
    How do you know how their system is configured? Do you work in the Moto IT Group? If not, you are just making things up.
    12-02-2013 11:54 PM
    So what are you saying, they didn't tell the IT group there was a Cyber Monday sale that would include Moto Maker and would discount the device by 30% and therefore they needed to be ready to change the price before Monday at 8am CST?

And then once 8am CST rolled around, no one told the IT group to change the price?
    I am sure it is not as simple as that. Motorola sells more than just mobile phones and their systems, I am sure, are fairly complex with controls and procedures around any changes...(change control anyone?). If a tech just needed to change a table or update some code I am sure they could do it. But in a large company you don't just do that without a lot of bureaucracy and paperwork around these changes. Holiday week, staff vacation, conflicting projects, etc... I am willing to bet it was a combination of things that led to this mess up today and at the end of the day our complaining and a delay in getting our phones was the lesser of the evils that perhaps could be minimized/placated with more products offered for sale on Wednesday and Monday.
    12-02-2013 11:54 PM
    How do you know how their system is configured? Do you work in the Moto IT Group? If not, you are just making things up.
    No, I'm not. Moto tech support was very communicative about the issues they were having. They were solely with motomaker, and only with motomaker once they got the Motorola site back online.

12-02-2013 11:55 PM
    Also, one big thing everyone is missing is that, even though it was a headache, the end result is that Motorola is DOUBLING the supply of handsets available. I'd say that's a win in the long run.
    It's only a win if the customer's time is of no value. My time is very valuable to me and to my clients who pay for it.
    12-02-2013 11:56 PM
    No, I'm not. Moto tech support was very communicative about the issues they were having. They were solely with motomaker, and only with motomaker once they got the Motorola site back online.
    Why did it take almost 3 hours after the announced sale start time for the dev edition's price to change then?
    12-02-2013 11:58 PM
    True, but if you had a design and credit card already saved in their system (as Motorola suggested) and were up at 8am CST your odds would have been very good if their site had worked even halfway decent or had they at a minimum updated the price. Many people modified their schedules today around this deal, not very professional of them to tell their customers to do it again.
    And I repeat: there was no guarantee that everyone who wanted to take advantage of the promotion would be able to do so.

Even after having done all that, it's completely possible that you wouldn't have gotten a phone.

They're repeating this promotion not once, but twice. If your priorities are such that you will modify your schedule around the ability to buy a phone at a discount, then you should be glad they're giving you two more opportunities to do so. That's better notice than you had for the original deal, which they didn't even have to offer at all in the first place.
    jephanie likes this.
    It's only a win if the customer's time is of no value. My time is very valuable to me and to my clients who pay for it.
    Let me guess, you were one of the people berating moto's twitter staff today? Get a life dude. Its a phone. If your time is that valuable to you you should have just bought the phone at full price.

efyoiphone and jephanie like this.
    a delay in getting our phones was the lesser of the evils that perhaps could be minimized/placated with more products offered for sale on Wednesday and Monday.
    if your time has no value, perhaps.
    12-03-2013 12:00 AM
    If your time is that valuable to you you should have just bought the phone at full price.
    But people are ENTITLED to a discount!
    12-03-2013 12:01 AM
    Apparently some believe so.

12-03-2013 12:02 AM
    Let me guess, you were one of the people berating moto's twitter staff today? Get a life dude. Its a phone.
    Not on any social media, dude. And I am a dudette, not a dude.

If your time is that valuable to you you should have just bought the phone at full price.
    Got a dev ed within minutes of the sale price going live, albeit that was almost 3 hours after the announced sale start time. Do you work for motorola?
    12-03-2013 12:02 AM
    Exactly. It's one thing if people tried their luck and they sold out before they got their order in. But when people get up early, change their schedules around, and waste hours trying again because Motorola keeps saying "it will be fixed soon" only to be told thanks for wasting your time, please possibly waste more of your time again in a few days - that is not a professional response in my opinion.
    UJ95x likes this.
    12-03-2013 12:03 AM
    Awwww...ya went and forgot to use that dang sarcasm font again! SHame on ya!
    12-03-2013 12:04 AM
    And I repeat: there was no guarantee that everyone who wanted to take advantage of the promotion would be able to do so.

Even after having done all that, it's completely possible that you wouldn't have gotten a phone.
    And you would have known that within minutes and moved on with your life. Instead of spending hours being told the site would be up and working "soon".

That's better notice than you had for the original deal, which they didn't even have to offer at all in the first place.
    No retailer or manufacturer has to offer a deal. But yet, they ALL do, even Apple. Why? To generate volume sales and customer loyalty. Today accomplished neither for motorola and worse, alienated potential customers.
    12-03-2013 12:06 AM
    I think moto is doing a fine job of making it up. ....
    12-03-2013 12:07 AM
    I think moto is doing a fine job of making it up. ....
    People with busy lives, jobs, families disagree with you.
    12-03-2013 12:09 AM
    And you would have known that within minutes and moved on with your life. Instead of spending hours being told the site would be up and working "soon".
    Right. And I did mention "priorities" earlier, as I do question the priorities of people who rearrange their schedules and spend hours and hours constantly refreshing to see if the sale has gone live and then complain about their time being wasted. As someone else said, if your time is so valuable, then just buy it at full retail.

No retailer or manufacturer has to offer a deal. But yet, they ALL do, even Apple. Why? To generate volume sales and customer loyalty. Today accomplished neither for motorola and worse, alienated potential customers.
    Okay. Move on with your life, then.
    12-03-2013 12:10 AM

They're repeating this promotion not once, but twice. If your priorities are such that you will modify your schedule around the ability to buy a phone at a discount, then you should be glad they're giving you two more opportunities to do so. That's better notice than you had for the original deal, which they didn't even have to offer at all in the first place.
    We will have to agree to disagree. My time is very valuable and them saying for me to "try again" on another day is not an appropriate or professional response in my opinion. Me modifying my schedule once after a holiday weekend is much better than modifying it multiple times. Again, I would have zero complaints if they simply sold out but that's not what happened.
    12-03-2013 12:11 AM
1,266 ... 2526272829 ...