12-18-2013 12:38 AM
1,266 ... 3031323334 ...
tools
    If you do end up ordering the x, order the T-Mobile version. It's carrier unlocked and can be used on Att or most other gsm carriers. It also has the ability to unlock the bootloader should you want to do that. It's the same price and it's not locked down with AT&T's bs.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app
    Would OTAs still be pushed to the T-Mobile version if it is being used on AT&T or other eligible carriers?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    12-04-2013 05:13 AM
    Not sure if I'm going to attempt this purchase again today, will see how this goes.
    12-04-2013 08:25 AM
    Not sure if I'm going to attempt this purchase again today, will see how this goes.
    I'm going to try again today, work is a little slow so at least there isn't much production it can hurt on my end. I've been practicing talking to my phone without touching it, hopefully I'm doing it right :P
    12-04-2013 10:26 AM
    Would OTAs still be pushed to the T-Mobile version if it is being used on AT&T or other eligible carriers?
    Yes it will still receive OTAs. Basically the only requirement for OTAs is that it's online. The T-Mobile Moto X isn't really T-Mobile anyway; it's unlocked and unbranded. It's just the version that T-Mobile sells.
    benhmadison likes this.
    12-04-2013 10:35 AM
    I don't see why someone wouldn't attempt it if they are by a computer today. I just feel bad for those who arranged to be available on Monday and now can't be available due to working.
    12-04-2013 10:39 AM
    I don't see why someone wouldn't attempt it if they are by a computer today. I just feel bad for those who arranged to be available on Monday and now can't be available due to working.
    I suppose there are happy people that would have missed Monday's sale if it happened that are available for this one now, too. Do they cancel each other out? In the end this is just a phone, have to keep telling myself that. This isn't life or death or getting insurance.
    Johnly likes this.
    12-04-2013 10:45 AM
    I'm not seeing how doing it this way will lessen the load on Motorola's website. Instead of a bunch of folks trying to get phones from Moto Maker now you're just going to have a bunch of folks trying to get the promo codes. I could see that also bogging down the website.

I think the issue is motorola's claim of "limited quantities". That's forcing folks to rush the website at the first second it goes live in order to get a phone/code before they're all gone. Instead they should just have a one day sale with no limit on quantities, only shipping times. If you order your phone late in the day, shipping time might be weeks instead of days as the first batch of phones are accounted for, but at least you'll get your phone AND the price break.
    12-04-2013 10:48 AM
    I'm not seeing how doing it this way will lessen the load on Motorola's website. Instead of a bunch of folks trying to get phones from Moto Maker now you're just going to have a bunch of folks trying to get the promo codes. I could see that also bogging down the website.

I think the issue is motorola's claim of "limited quantities". That's forcing folks to rush the website at the first second it goes live in order to get a phone/code before they're all gone. Instead they should just have a one day sale with no limit on quantities, only shipping times. If you order your phone late in the day, shipping time might be weeks instead of days as the first batch of phones are accounted for, but at least you'll get your phone AND the price break.
    I don't like their code idea at all. I'm afraid there will be even MORE people trying to get the code than were trying to get the phone. You can get a code for free and turn around and sell it without risking the money you would spend on the phone. Still don't have a good feeling about this, but I will try.
    dmark44 and 21stNow like this.
    12-04-2013 10:54 AM
    I suppose there are happy people that would have missed Monday's sale if it happened that are available for this one now, too. Do they cancel each other out?
    True but the people on Monday had likely planned on it whereas the people today just got lucky.

In the end this is just a phone, have to keep telling myself that. This isn't life or death or getting insurance.
    No but for some people the sale is the difference between getting and not getting the phone. And if you had planned on it on Monday and now can't be available, it is disappointing.
    12-04-2013 10:54 AM
    I don't like their code idea at all. I'm afraid there will be even MORE people trying to get the code than were trying to get the phone. You can get a code for free and turn around and sell it without risking the money you would spend on the phone. Still don't have a good feeling about this, but I will try.
    This is my fear, too.
    12-04-2013 10:58 AM
    Apparently they are going to refund me the difference from the full priced order that went through Monday morning. I just received the below email

I am contacting you regarding your recent order ............... for the Moto X with the Cyber Monday promotion.

The promotion was not applied to the order. We will be refunded for the promotional price. The refund will be processing within the next 1-2 weeks.

Thanks,
    Ashley
    12-04-2013 11:05 AM
    Think Motorola has this planned because doing it with codes they know there will be less sales and more people just signing up for codes and not using them? It's smart on their part but not good for consumers.
    12-04-2013 11:08 AM
    Yeah, if be happy to pay $50 more if the sale had been guaranteed for a set amount of time (all day, 6 hours. Etc)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk
    12-04-2013 11:14 AM
    Interesting... last night I was able to get to the final stage of checkout (review and actually place the order) and yet this morning it seems I can no longer get past the payment screen.

I was doing a quick check to see if Moto's system is go for placing orders today after I get the code... Seems it isn't at the moment.

I do suspect that they will stagger the emailed promo codes for the $150 off that way in case most users elect to purchase and order the device today the site won't get hit with the majority of the people that got the code all at once.
    12-04-2013 11:17 AM
    Motorola Support ‏@MotorolaSupport 14m
    @missoliviak Unused codes would be wasted, yes. Codes are not for resale and we're putting in safeguards to limit that practice.
    dmark44 likes this.
    12-04-2013 11:17 AM
    Apparently they are going to refund me the difference from the full priced order that went through Monday morning. I just received the below email
    I figured they would have to do that or they would get a bunch of returned phones.

- - - Updated - - -

Motorola Support ‏@MotorolaSupport 14m
    @missoliviak Unused codes would be wasted, yes. Codes are not for resale and we're putting in safeguards to limit that practice.
    I don't know how they could safeguard against that but I hope they do!
    12-04-2013 11:20 AM
    I figured they would have to do that or they would get a bunch of returned phones.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know how they could safeguard against that but I hope they do!
    They can lock the code to the email address (you have to sign in to order from Moto Maker).
    Mac58 likes this.
    12-04-2013 11:27 AM
    They can lock the code to the email address (you have to sign in to order from Moto Maker).
    So make a fake email address and sell the code and the email address password.
    12-04-2013 11:28 AM
    So make a fake email address and sell the code and the email address password.
    Exactly what I was thinking. Just an extra step before profit.
    12-04-2013 11:30 AM
    But let's look at the positives right now... Motorola's website hasn't crashed yet and we are under 30 minutes away.
    Mac58 likes this.
    12-04-2013 11:32 AM
    I didn't mean no one could spoof it, just that it would discourage the practice. Motorola themselves says they are trying to "limit" the practice, which sounds like a tacit acknowledgement that they can't actually stop it 100%.
    12-04-2013 11:33 AM
    The only way they could do it would be to tie it to the name that was registered such that the device had to be paid for by an account owned by someone having the same name as the registered name.
    12-04-2013 11:33 AM
    This is gonna be a mess I think. Not feeling very confident I will get s code.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app
    12-04-2013 11:35 AM
    And everyone that actually does this is a giant a-hole.
    12-04-2013 11:39 AM
    And everyone that actually does this is a giant a-hole.
    Definitely. But we all know those a-holes are out there waiting to make money taking advantage of these kind of things. Ebay loves these a-holes.
    dmark44 likes this.
    12-04-2013 11:41 AM
1,266 ... 3031323334 ...