Moto X cyber monday sale

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Everyone is losing sight on how great the Moto X is...how fantastic they did rolling out KITKAT before some NEXUS devices ! And the fact that they are giving you two days now to get one....yea, inconvenience...but the end result...a KITKAT MOTOX is worth it......Motorola is not valued based on a down webpage, but the fact of the best product, fast software updates and going the extra mile.
No, people are not forgetting and most will be trying again. People are just venting their frustration as they thought they would have been able to check this item off their list of things to do, which at this very busy time of the year is a long list for most of us.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
I just read motorolas CEO public apology. They are doubling the quantities and days of the sale so even more people can take advantage. If that isn't good enough, and you still have the need to feel disgruntled.......There isn't anything anybody can do for you. I would say the majority of people are okay with what Motorola has done and that is what is important. Good job moto!

Stadifer

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I think at the end of the day it was unfortunate and a major inconvenience. I for one was able to let Moto Maker & Twitter sit in a tab and check those throughout the day. My bigger issue is that for people in any time zones west of Central Standard had to get up fairly early in order to queue up their browser to take a crack at getting the discount. Not only did it not ever go up yesterday but it made getting up at the crack of dawn pointless.

I'm glad that Motorola is offering two discount dates and increasing the available units for the sale which is a bare minimum on Motorola's behalf. I figure if I don't get one on Wednesday I'll just bite the bullet and pay full price to avoid a 3rd attempt at frustration. I'm tempted to just do it today to avoid another potential MotoMaker melt down tomorrow.

Toddzilla#WN

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
I sat through the whole thing yesterday and was thoroughly annoyed...but I think Motorola is doing a good job at making up for it though I do feel for those on the west coast.

I'm on a grandfathered Verizon unlimited plan with my wife and this has made me rethink my plan to buy off contract to keep that unlimited plan as it's just going to be too much to keep to phones off-contract. I may just give up and go over to the share plan for the subsidies...

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Another excellent explanation as to why some people are upset. They kept saying "soon" but had no idea how long it would take to fix the problem, which to me says they didn't know what the problem was in the first place.

Agreed. If they would have postponed the sale like 6 hours sooner and explained the problem they are having with the apology yesterday, then people probably wouldn't be as upset. Saying "soon" all day was frustrating. So "soon" = 2 days for Motorola, so when I actually order one I should expect it to ship in like 3 weeks right? :p This could have been handled better, oh well, time to move on and save my energy for Cyber Wednesday. Hoping I never have to see "coming soon" again on the motomaker page.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I'm on a grandfathered Verizon unlimited plan with my wife and this has made me rethink my plan to buy off contract to keep that unlimited plan as it's just going to be too much to keep to phones off-contract. I may just give up and go over to the share plan for the subsidies...
You can use your upgrades if you add a line to your family share account and put a basic phone on it. Cost for me to do that is $13/month. There is a thread on this in the Verizon forum.

Basically you add a new line and with that line you get a subsidized smartphone. Pick the $30 data plan and when the smartphone arrives, you activate it on the new line. Then you put a basic phone on the new line and drop the data plan on the new line. Then you pop the SIM card from your unlimited data line into the new smartphone.

Then when you have an upgrade on an unlimited data line, you transfer the upgrade to the basic phone line and repeat the process. With 2 or more unlimited data lines, it works out to be worth the $13/month, but the taxes and fees are higher in different states so you have to find that info out to know if it is worth it where you live.

Paisley

Aug 3, 2013
Visit site
Agreed. If they would have postponed the sale like 6 hours sooner and explained the problem they are having with the apology yesterday, then people probably wouldn't be as upset. Saying "soon" all day was frustrating. So "soon" = 2 days for Motorola, so when I actually order one I should expect it to ship in like 3 weeks right? :p This could have been handled better, oh well, time to move on and save my energy for Cyber Wednesday. Hoping I never have to see "coming soon" again on the motomaker page.

Have the fastest finger in the West, if it even gets up and running it will last all of 30 minutes. If *that* many people were trying to purchase, their “adding twice as much”, will not extend the sale past that point. I suspect it’s ebayers. But even if it were just android fans, judging from all the feedback on the blogs, at least 1,000 android fans are trying to get one, and I’d be surprised if they offer even that many.

benhmadison

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I tried a few times yesterday but like many people here I was able to make my Moto X but it was giving me the old price for AT&T. I was going to go with black front, blue back with silver accents. My choices at the time were either the Moto X or N5 and at this point I'm not sure if I want to try again on Wednesday or Monday. I like the Moto X, being able to design it and with active notifications pushed it just ahead of the N5 for me. The N5 I really like the screen and the Qi wireless charging which will come in handy since I already have a few wireless chargers for my Nexus 7. I will be coming from an iPhone 5, using my Nexus 7 on a daily basis I really like the Android OS compared to IOS.

If you do end up ordering the x, order the T-Mobile version. It's carrier unlocked and can be used on Att or most other gsm carriers. It also has the ability to unlock the bootloader should you want to do that. It's the same price and it's not locked down with AT&T's bs.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using AC Forums mobile app

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
You can use your upgrades if you add a line to your family share account and put a basic phone on it. Cost for me to do that is $13/month. There is a thread on this in the Verizon forum.

Basically you add a new line and with that line you get a subsidized smartphone. Pick the $30 data plan and when the smartphone arrives, you activate it on the new line. Then you put a basic phone on the new line and drop the data plan on the new line. Then you pop the SIM card from your unlimited data line into the new smartphone.

Then when you have an upgrade on an unlimited data line, you transfer the upgrade to the basic phone line and repeat the process. With 2 or more unlimited data lines, it works out to be worth the $13/month, but the taxes and fees are higher in different states so you have to find that info out to know if it is worth it where you live.

And Verizon would be cool with me taking in my new Moto X that I bought for my new line and asking them to switch it over to my current line(Galaxy Nexus)? And then activating a basic phone on the new line? The SIM cards are different sizes, or can the SIM with the Moto X be used for my current number instead of the new? I get so confused with how SIM cards work when swapping lines and devices.

Stadifer

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Have the fastest finger in the West, if it even gets up and running it will last all of 30 minutes. If *that* many people were trying to purchase, their “adding twice as much”, will not extend the sale past that point. I suspect it’s ebayers. But even if it were just android fans, judging from all the feedback on the blogs, at least 1,000 android fans are trying to get one, and I’d be surprised if they offer even that many.

The thing I found odd is that many people trying to pickup a Moto X $150 off already have an Nexus 5. Must be nice to have money to blow like that.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
And Verizon would be cool with me taking in my new Moto X that I bought for my new line and asking them to switch it over to my current line(Galaxy Nexus)? And then activating a basic phone on the new line?
Yeah, I just did this twice. There is a thread on the Verizon forum about it. Check it out if you have more questions.

As part of its Block C licenses, Verizon had to agree not to interfere with a customer's use of their 4G LTE phones. That is why all Verizon 4G LTE phones are GSM SIM unlocked now. You can use them on any network except Sprint b/c Sprint is still using its CDMA network to place calls. You can use an upgrade from Verizon and then take the phone to use on ATT. However, you are still under contract to Verizon so you either have to pay the ETF and cancel the contract or keep paying on the contract. Yesterday you could have added a line to your account and gotten a new white LG G2 for free then canceled the line and paid just the $350 ETF so the new LG G2 would have been $350 + tax since the activation fee is refunded if you cancel within 3 days. That deal was only yesterday, though.

Also, this is only true if you upgrade thru Verizon, Best Buy or Costco. All of the other 3rd party retailers like Amazon charge a secondary ETF of $400 if you take a subsidized phone off of a line you upgraded, put a basic phone on the line and drop the data plan.

The SIM cards are different sizes, or can the SIM with the Moto X be used for my current number instead of the new? I get so confused with how SIM cards work when swapping lines and devices.
SIM cards are free from Verizon. You can put any device you want on any of your lines and Verizon not only can't stop you per the terms of their Block C licenses, but they can't charge you for a new SIM to fit a new device. Either call and they will mail you one or stop in a corporate store and they will give you one.

Of course if you put a basic phone on an unlimited data line the data plan will drop off and you will lose unlimited data so don't do that. Check out the thread in the Verizon forum on this site.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
I guess I'm lost. As far as I understand it, I can't add a line to a grandfathered family plan, they'd make me change to the new Family Share plans wouldn't they?

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I guess I'm lost. As far as I understand it, I can't add a line to a grandfathered family plan, they'd make me change to the new Family Share plans wouldn't they?
No, if you call they will try to talk you into switching to share everything by arguing that you would be better off if you did, but they can add a line to your existing plan if you call.

However, this is a Moto X thread, so please go check out the verizon forum on this site - there is a whole thread about this and plenty of people who have done this who can answer your questions.

nfotiu

Nov 18, 2013
Visit site
Verizon still allows the older metered data plans. They don't always show up on the websites, although they sometimes do and the phone support will always let you add lines to them. They are not forcing anyone off anything but unlimited data.

FWIW, though, I kept unlimited data when I used my upgrade on my single line to buy a moto x for $49 on motomaker. Motomaker doesn't require you to pick a new data plan when using your upgrade, they just give a notice saying you'll lose it. When I got the phone, I tried to activate it via the web, but it was at that point they were forcing me to switch from unlimited at $30/month to 2 GB for $30/month. So I cancelled out of that, took the sim card out of my old phone, trimmed it to the nano size and put it in my moto x, and my account kept unlimited data. Only problem was, my makeshift nano sim card failed after a week. So, I called Verizon to activate the sim card that came with it. At that point I was automatically downgraded to the $30/month 2 GB data plan without them ever actually telling me that. I felt like it was worth a try, and he said yeah that is your only option. I then said that I heard of some people getting 6 GB for $30 a month when switching off unlimited. He said "Oh, I see you are a high data usage customer, you should have been offered that option, I'll switch you to that." I was fine with that, I rarely go over 5 gb in a month. However, when I logged into my account, it shows he switched me back to unlimited.

Johnly

Retired Moderator
Oct 6, 2010
Visit site
Right. And I did mention "priorities" earlier, as I do question the priorities of people who rearrange their schedules and spend hours and hours constantly refreshing to see if the sale has gone live and then complain about their time being wasted. As someone else said, if your time is so valuable, then just buy it at full retail.

Okay. Move on with your life, then.

I checked it twice and received an error. That was a whopping 30 seconds. Then I went on with my day. The definitive context in insanity is doing the same thing expecting different results. We are not responsible for other people's phonesanity lol! Cracks me up how something so small can bend people over so hard.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
FWIW, though, I kept unlimited data when I used my upgrade on my single line to buy a moto x for $49 on motomaker. Motomaker doesn't require you to pick a new data plan when using your upgrade, they just give a notice saying you'll lose it.
the same used to be true when you purchased through Best Buy online but as you found out, as soon as you activated the phone on your unlimited data line with a new SIM card you were switched to the 2GB plan.

So, I called Verizon to activate the sim card that came with it. At that point I was automatically downgraded to the $30/month 2 GB data plan without them ever actually telling me that.
Yep - this only works if you transfer an unlimited data plan upgrade to a non-unlimited data plan line, which you can only do if they are on the same account.

However, when I logged into my account, it shows he switched me back to unlimited.
You got very, very, very lucky!!!!

Woosh

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
The thing I found odd is that many people trying to pickup a Moto X $150 off already have an Nexus 5. Must be nice to have money to blow like that.

Why is that odd? I'd rather have the Moto X than the N5, IF the X was $350 when I bought the N5 then I wouldn't have bought it. I'm sure I can get a few dollars for this N5 on CL if I end up getting the X.

Stadifer

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
I'm curious as to whether or not Motorola will be able to deliver their typical 4-day turnaround on MotoMaker orders or if the influx of orders will push delivery to 5+ days.

Stadifer

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Why is that odd? I'd rather have the Moto X than the N5, IF the X was $350 when I bought the N5 then I wouldn't have bought it. I'm sure I can get a few dollars for this N5 on CL if I end up getting the X.

Seems superfluous to spend $350+ on a N5 when you really want a Moto X. I guess I get it if you went for the N5 because it was $150 less than the Moto X but at the end of the day you spent $700 on phones (at least) with no guarantee to recoup half of that $350 (granted in all likelihood you'll get it back on CL) vs. just dropping $550 on a Moto X or waiting to see if they drop off-contract pricing or have a sale.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
No, if you call they will try to talk you into switching to share everything by arguing that you would be better off if you did, but they can add a line to your existing plan if you call.

I just chatted with Verizon, they said I can't add a line to my plan since it is an old single line plan. If I had an old share plan with unlimited data then I could add a new line without losing unlimited, but I don't qualify since mine is a single line plan. So I guess that possible plan went out the window.

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Chelrie