Moto X cyber monday sale

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I don't see why someone wouldn't attempt it if they are by a computer today. I just feel bad for those who arranged to be available on Monday and now can't be available due to working.

I suppose there are happy people that would have missed Monday's sale if it happened that are available for this one now, too. Do they cancel each other out? In the end this is just a phone, have to keep telling myself that. This isn't life or death or getting insurance.

opuntia2

Sep 6, 2011
Visit site
I'm not seeing how doing it this way will lessen the load on Motorola's website. Instead of a bunch of folks trying to get phones from Moto Maker now you're just going to have a bunch of folks trying to get the promo codes. I could see that also bogging down the website.

I think the issue is motorola's claim of "limited quantities". That's forcing folks to rush the website at the first second it goes live in order to get a phone/code before they're all gone. Instead they should just have a one day sale with no limit on quantities, only shipping times. If you order your phone late in the day, shipping time might be weeks instead of days as the first batch of phones are accounted for, but at least you'll get your phone AND the price break.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
I'm not seeing how doing it this way will lessen the load on Motorola's website. Instead of a bunch of folks trying to get phones from Moto Maker now you're just going to have a bunch of folks trying to get the promo codes. I could see that also bogging down the website.

I think the issue is motorola's claim of "limited quantities". That's forcing folks to rush the website at the first second it goes live in order to get a phone/code before they're all gone. Instead they should just have a one day sale with no limit on quantities, only shipping times. If you order your phone late in the day, shipping time might be weeks instead of days as the first batch of phones are accounted for, but at least you'll get your phone AND the price break.

I don't like their code idea at all. I'm afraid there will be even MORE people trying to get the code than were trying to get the phone. You can get a code for free and turn around and sell it without risking the money you would spend on the phone. Still don't have a good feeling about this, but I will try.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I suppose there are happy people that would have missed Monday's sale if it happened that are available for this one now, too. Do they cancel each other out?
True but the people on Monday had likely planned on it whereas the people today just got lucky.

In the end this is just a phone, have to keep telling myself that. This isn't life or death or getting insurance.
No but for some people the sale is the difference between getting and not getting the phone. And if you had planned on it on Monday and now can't be available, it is disappointing.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I don't like their code idea at all. I'm afraid there will be even MORE people trying to get the code than were trying to get the phone. You can get a code for free and turn around and sell it without risking the money you would spend on the phone. Still don't have a good feeling about this, but I will try.
This is my fear, too.

dgravo

Jul 8, 2011
Visit site
Apparently they are going to refund me the difference from the full priced order that went through Monday morning. I just received the below email

I am contacting you regarding your recent order ............... for the Moto X with the Cyber Monday promotion.

The promotion was not applied to the order. We will be refunded for the promotional price. The refund will be processing within the next 1-2 weeks.

Thanks,
Ashley

thatotherdude24

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Think Motorola has this planned because doing it with codes they know there will be less sales and more people just signing up for codes and not using them? It's smart on their part but not good for consumers.

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, if be happy to pay $50 more if the sale had been guaranteed for a set amount of time (all day, 6 hours. Etc)

Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

Stadifer

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Interesting... last night I was able to get to the final stage of checkout (review and actually place the order) and yet this morning it seems I can no longer get past the payment screen.

I was doing a quick check to see if Moto's system is go for placing orders today after I get the code... Seems it isn't at the moment.

I do suspect that they will stagger the emailed promo codes for the $150 off that way in case most users elect to purchase and order the device today the site won't get hit with the majority of the people that got the code all at once.

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site
Motorola Support ‏@MotorolaSupport 14m
@missoliviak Unused codes would be wasted, yes. Codes are not for resale and we're putting in safeguards to limit that practice.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Apparently they are going to refund me the difference from the full priced order that went through Monday morning. I just received the below email
I figured they would have to do that or they would get a bunch of returned phones.

- - - Updated - - -

Motorola Support ‏@MotorolaSupport 14m
@missoliviak Unused codes would be wasted, yes. Codes are not for resale and we're putting in safeguards to limit that practice.
I don't know how they could safeguard against that but I hope they do!

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
I figured they would have to do that or they would get a bunch of returned phones.

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know how they could safeguard against that but I hope they do!

They can lock the code to the email address (you have to sign in to order from Moto Maker).

ottscay

Jul 16, 2010
Visit site
Exactly what I was thinking. Just an extra step before profit.

I didn't mean no one could spoof it, just that it would discourage the practice. Motorola themselves says they are trying to "limit" the practice, which sounds like a tacit acknowledgement that they can't actually stop it 100%.

DayThyme

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Exactly what I was thinking. Just an extra step before profit.
The only way they could do it would be to tie it to the name that was registered such that the device had to be paid for by an account owned by someone having the same name as the registered name.

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
This is gonna be a mess I think. Not feeling very confident I will get s code.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dmitrbol