Touchless Control - Play Music Problem

Boomax24

Jan 30, 2012
Visit site
So when I say "Ok Google listen to Stairway to Heaven" Google now launches (i'I've already hit the small arrow that says if I would rather buy/play) it says out-loud "playing Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeplin" Then a small blue bar fills up when this is happening after which Play Music Launches AND my song never plays...

It usually just opens up Play Music to the main screen or whatever song I was playing last but it doesn't play that either, just sits there. I have good service, even tried songs that I've cached for offline play, no dice.

Anyone have this happen as well? Any fixes?

Kamron Erani

Sep 1, 2013
Visit site
So when I say "Ok Google listen to Stairway to Heaven" Google now launches (i'I've already hit the small arrow that says if I would rather buy/play) it says out-loud "playing Stairway to Heaven by Led Zeplin" Then a small blue bar fills up when this is happening after which Play Music Launches AND my song never plays...

It usually just opens up Play Music to the main screen or whatever song I was playing last but it doesn't play that either, just sits there. I have good service, even tried songs that I've cached for offline play, no dice.

Anyone have this happen as well? Any fixes?

This happens with me as well. Honestly the whole google now play music needs to be looked into by google, some songs it works no problem (100% of the time it will play the song). If I try to play another song (i.e "come a little closer") it just sends it to a regular google search for "come a little closer" all the time. Then other times I ask it to play a song and it will do what you just described. Google now does something different for every song, but that same song has a consistent outcome, if the song plays, it will always play, if the song results in a google search, it will never play, etc.

so no, it is not only you, and as of right now I don't think there is any fix until google does something about it.

SandroidE

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I was going to say 'review the mp3 tags', but that does not seem to be your issue.... I cannot speak for Google play, since that service is not active here in Argentina...
But I didn't have many issues with Google now and the player...
Didn't use it a lot of course, because once the track starts, Google now will have a really hard time hearing you...

Enviado desde mi XT1058 usando Tapatalk 2

Cocophone

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Also, it would be great if Google now would play an entire album.

-----------------
"Why am I me and why not you? Why am I here and why not there? When did time begin and where does space end?" - Wings of Desire

SandroidE

Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
Also, it would be great if Google now would play an entire album.

-----------------
"Why am I me and why not you? Why am I here and why not there? When did time begin and where does space end?" - Wings of Desire

Very true!
I hope they tune the functionality in the near future...
It is hard for me to understand that you can set an alarm, but when you ask something as simple as 'OK Google Now, what time is it', it does not reply back...

prissysox

Trusted Member
Jun 11, 2010
Visit site
Very true!
It is hard for me to understand that you can set an alarm, but when you ask something as simple as 'OK Google Now, what time is it', it does not reply back...

It does reply. You just have to have volume up.

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

straygator7

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I activated the Touchless Control feature on my Moto X last night. Although it seems to work properly when I ask questions for such information as time, temperature, or distance between places, I immediately encountered a problem with the command that's one of the functions for which I most want to use it -- playing songs. When I ask it to play a song, it (usually) responds by repeating the song title and pulling up the song (displaying both the album cover and title), but then it doesn't play the song, but instead opens the keyboard and displays an error message stating: "Couldn't prepare instant mix. Please try again." To make matters worse, now I'm getting the same error message when I try to use Google Voice Command to play a song, even though that function worked fine before I activated Touchless Control.

I spent more than an hour on the phone with Motorola tech support last night and this morning trying to resolve this problem. They were very courteous and helpful, and we tried a number of alternatives, but to no avail. This morning, I was connected to a "second level tech support" person, who remotely took control of my phone and worked through various options, but without success. Ultimately, she said that I could try to reset the phone -- which would require me to go through the process of re-installing lots of stuff and customizing things again, with no assurance that it would solve the problem. One thing I noticed is that my Touchless Control is Version 4.0.00.1, which I assume was installed when the phone updated to KitKat because the current version for download from Play Store is 3.15.0.1. Unfortunately, it's not possible to uninstall and reinstall Touchless Control on my phone; and numerous reboots and turning the application off and back on, attempting to clear cache and clear data, etc. had no effect.

Has anyone else encountered this issue, and does anyone have a suggested solution short of resetting the phone? Thanks for any advice and assistance.

straygator7

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
I apologize for replying to my own post, but I was finally able to solve the problem by uninstalling updates to Google Play Music, which (as I should have surmised earlier) was the source of the "instant mix" bug.

Silly Pirate

Dec 25, 2011
Visit site
I activated the Touchless Control feature on my Moto X last night. Although it seems to work properly when I ask questions for such information as time, temperature, or distance between places, I immediately encountered a problem with the command that's one of the functions for which I most want to use it -- playing songs. When I ask it to play a song, it (usually) responds by repeating the song title and pulling up the song (displaying both the album cover and title), but then it doesn't play the song, but instead opens the keyboard and displays an error message stating: "Couldn't prepare instant mix. Please try again." To make matters worse, now I'm getting the same error message when I try to use Google Voice Command to play a song, even though that function worked fine before I activated Touchless Control.

I spent more than an hour on the phone with Motorola tech support last night and this morning trying to resolve this problem. They were very courteous and helpful, and we tried a number of alternatives, but to no avail. This morning, I was connected to a "second level tech support" person, who remotely took control of my phone and worked through various options, but without success. Ultimately, she said that I could try to reset the phone -- which would require me to go through the process of re-installing lots of stuff and customizing things again, with no assurance that it would solve the problem. One thing I noticed is that my Touchless Control is Version 4.0.00.1, which I assume was installed when the phone updated to KitKat because the current version for download from Play Store is 3.15.0.1. Unfortunately, it's not possible to uninstall and reinstall Touchless Control on my phone; and numerous reboots and turning the application off and back on, attempting to clear cache and clear data, etc. had no effect.

Has anyone else encountered this issue, and does anyone have a suggested solution short of resetting the phone? Thanks for any advice and assistance.

Yup, totally having the same issue. No matter what command I use to play music, no matter what I set as the default music app, it NEVER plays the song. It WILL open the app, but never actually do anything. Even after a fresh factory install of 4.4, there is no way to get this thing playing music with voice controls. All other voice commands work great. On one occasion, it searched for the band within the "Play Music" app, but didint actually play anything. I even tried reinstalling/removing updates anything related to voice/music apps. After reinstalling, I still have the issue.

Amyshubby

Mar 15, 2010
Visit site
I'm having the same problem. Tried uninstalling updates, reinstalling. I tell Google Now to play an artist and tells me it's not on my device (it is on the cloud on Google Play). Only frustrating experience with phone so far.

Posted via Android Central App

straygator7

Dec 13, 2013
Visit site
As I reported earlier, my problem -- when I'd attempt to use Touchless Control (or Voice Command) to play a song, the device would pull up the song and say "Playing [title of song and artist]," but then would display an error message that said: "Couldn't prepare instant mix. Please try again." -- was rectified by going into the settings for the Google Play Music app and uninstalling updates. (In fact, the next time Google Play Music automatically updated, the same problem arose, and I was again able to resolve it by uninstalling the updates. I've since changed my settings to prevent automatic updating so that I don't need to go through that process again.)

But I should add that the function doesn't always work flawlessly. Sometimes I've asked to play a song that's on my device, but the response will show "No results found." Other times I ask to play a song, and it pulls up web page results for a Google search. But I've found that it works better if I train it for the songs it initially doesn't play -- that is, when it shows "No results found" or pulls up a list of webpages, if I open the song file and play it manually, I find that frequently (though not always) it will work the next time to play that song from the voice command. And once it recognizes and plays the song, it tends to work fine for that song going forward.

It's difficult to comprehend why this "practice" seems to improve the feature's performance, but that's been my experience. I hope this helps

techitrucker

Jul 7, 2012
Visit site
Very true!

Its answers the time for me.....

MarkHirt

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site
It is hard for me to understand that you can set an alarm, but when you ask something as simple as 'OK Google Now, what time is it', it does not reply back..

Just tried it and mine does but.... why would one need this functionality? Just jostling the phone wakes it and shows the time. Just sayin

Moinf

May 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi ,
When i say ok google now play music i get error "couldn't prepare instant mix.please try again" I don't know what went wrong it was perfect 2days back.......! please help

Theo Campbell

May 24, 2014
Visit site
There is a bug with Google Play, use a different player I suggest PowerAmp but PlayerPRO works too, and be sure to select your new GN supported player from the drop down box

Attachments

• 102868.jpg
    102868.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 41
Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RemusGhostofRome