Moto X: Set off store security alarms??

appmy

Feb 16, 2010
Visit site
Place the phone on the deactivating area at a self-checkout. If there is a EAS tag somewhere on the phone that will take care of it.

Posted via Android Central App

Last edited:

willietech44

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site
Re: Moto X: Set off store security alarms?? NO MYTH !!

Not a myth. Have Motorola droid razr and just replaced the battery with another motorola BA20 battery ( not a generic). Immediately after replacement the phone is setting off all the EAS alarms at many stores. Walmart , homedepot , ann taylor , hillfilger etc. Very embarrassing !
Ok, I have read the excuses , however I took the new Motorola battery out of the phone, and went back to Walmart and its the battery that sets off the alarm every time !! Just took in the battery !! Even handed it to the manager and verified it was the battery !! Tried to have a few of the stores to deactivate using their equipment, no luck... Motorola is putting something in their new crop of batterys that are setting off the alarms !!

davidnc

Super Moderator
Jun 8, 2010
Visit site

But with the Moto X the battery isn't removeable.
But if there is someone at the door you could have them wave it past the detector as mentioned in above post(s).
Then you will know for sure .

willietech44

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

The Motorola Droid Razr Battery isnt user replaceable as well !! Check the web , even the Moto X has a video on replacement.. You carefully take the cover off and replace the battery. Most modern smartphones dont have battery compartments any more ! Point is , the battery was taken out of the phone and that's whats setting off the alarm ....PERIOD

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

Or maybe you guys are buying stolen batteries? Who did you buy from? Was the replacement battery directly from Motorola?

willietech44

Oct 3, 2013
Visit site

Well , I'm stumped. Purchased another EB20 generic battery ( Branded Sony ) made in China of course , and that battery alone sets off HomeDepot and Walmarts thief protection alarms. Being a good engineer , I dissected the battery ( must be real careful with Lithium batterys) , removed the Mylar tape and looked everywhere for some type of tag, RFID, or anything. Some new systems are using a special QR code printed with a special material and this battery had a QR code on it. I cut the piece of Mylar that had the QR code off , cut the two leads from the battery core to remove the electronics and tested them separately. Noting when I separately passed the QR patch through, nothing when I passed the electronic PCB ( used to make sure the lithium is not over or undercharged ) , HOWEVER just the lithium core sounded the alarm... The core is pealed down to almost the chemistry , only a small amount of mylar is holding it together , but it sounds everyone alarm.... I'M stumped !! First one was Motorola Branded , second was Sony Branded. But both made in China , most likely in the same factory ... FYI

anonymousdroid

Apr 25, 2014
Visit site
The same thing happened to me, for 3 days set off alarms both entering and exiting Walgreen's, like you, and also Burlington Coat Factory and Walmart. Yesterday I noticed that the WiFi setting on my Droid Razr had been accidentally turned on, so I set it back to off. Today, when I went into Walmart, the alarm did not sound, so am thinking that the WiFi setting must have been the cause. This was the only recent change on my phone, no change of battery or case or anything. By the way, no one stopped me, questioned me, no store security or anything...

bobmatius

Oct 18, 2016
Visit site
My Android ZTE triggers store security alarms when the WiFi is 'ON'. The ZTE does not trigger store alarms when the WiFi is 'OFF'.

A security guard at a local store and I played with the phone for 5 to 10 minutes tonight to finally identify the issue. Perhaps Android can explain 'How an Android ZTE can set off a store alarm when the WiFi is turned 'ON'?'.

The security system triggered is the one that is used at grocery stores and has six foot high white panels on either side of the walking path.

Perhaps your wife isn't light handed after all.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
steve1084