Moto X: Set off store security alarms??

agentstavros

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone else had this problem, I can't seem to get to the bottom of this while searching google. I got the moto X for my wife and she keeps telling me that the phone sets off the alarms at walgreens and CVS. I keep telling her she's crazy and there must be a tag hidden in her purse somewhere. Can anyone else confirm if this has happened to you? The last posts about it online are from 2010-2012 so I want to get some more recent info. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

ultravisitor

Aug 29, 2010
Visit site
Re: Set off store security alarms??

I've never set off any alarms at either store with mine.

Posted via Android Central App

Devlyn16

Nov 11, 2010
Visit site

Has anyone else had this problem, I can't seem to get to the bottom of this while searching google. I got the moto X for my wife and she keeps telling me that the phone sets off the alarms at walgreens and CVS. I keep telling her she's crazy and there must be a tag hidden in her purse somewhere. Can anyone else confirm if this has happened to you? The last posts about it online are from 2010-2012 so I want to get some more recent info. Thanks!

seems like a simple way to test

stand outside the store with your wife's phone and let her go, wait 10 seconds and then go in your self. repeat foe exiting. If the alarms dont sound for you but do for her you can clearly rule out the phone.

agentstavros

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site

Yea I want to experiment and I'll post back later on results. But she just told me this morning after running to walgreens and I'm far too lazy to run back out (plus getting ready for guests) so in typical modern fashion I decided to ask the internet first since it's easy.

I actually considered the thief thing, lol, but I'm hoping she's smart enough not to mention an alarm going off if she is stealing stuff :p

Premium1

Trusted Member
Nov 7, 2011
Visit site

I know some stores this used to happen to me. But sometimes it would go off, and other times it wouldn't even if I had nothing in my pockets. I think some stores their sensors don't always work properly. I mean at stores in the mall I constantly hear those things going off as people are coming into the store, and then Not going off once they exit after they have been in the store. I doubt it is the phone though.

MaceMoneta

Sep 16, 2013
Visit site

I had a pair of shoes that would always set off the store alarms. Apparently, there was a tag embedded in the shoes themselves. 30 seconds in the microwave took care of the problem.

pudgewack

Mar 20, 2011
Visit site

I have set of alarms at TJ Max and the Gap while carrying my Moto X. I definitely was not stealing anything, but not sure if it was the Moto X or not.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

getwired63

Jun 1, 2013
Visit site

Back years ago when I worked at Bestbuy I hid a security tag in my coworkers pack of cigarettes. It took almost a week before he figured it out! Security gave him a hard time for about a month. So far my wife and I haven't set any off with our Moto's.

MarkHirt

Feb 7, 2010
Visit site

Have to play the BS card on this one.... No smoker keeps a pack for almost a week

Back years ago when I worked at Bestbuy I hid a security tag in my coworkers pack of cigarettes. It took almost a week before he figured it out! Security gave him a hard time for about a month. So far my wife and I haven't set any off with our Moto's.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site

Not true, I used to roll my own and used the same pack for storing them for months!

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

veronicky

Mar 18, 2014
Visit site

I ordered the Nexus 5 online and since then I set off alarms all the time.. I try to leave stores like Walmart in big crowds so they check everyone's receipts then let us go through and ignore the beep. Such a pain! I turned off NFC & Beam, here's hoping it helps! I've gone through with just me and my phone, still beeps! I'm about ready to send it back to Google and make them figure it out!

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

I used to work in retail. Cell phones do not set off security alarms. Want to do a test? Stand just before the security sensors at the door, take your phone out and holding it at arms length wave it in front of you between the sensors.

Laineyc

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site

My husband used to have a Lumia Windows phone. Whenever we went INTO Walmart (which wasn't very often) the album went off. No lie.

Sent from my XT1060 using Xparent Pink Tapatalk 2

binaryhermit

Jul 17, 2011
Visit site

A few years ago years ago (2005-2006 or so) I had some crappy Verizon dumbphone (Audiovox 8300?) that I turned on as I was leaving the local public library. It set off the security system. Haven't been able to replicate since then (partially from not really caring enough to try).

But my guess is that it's NFC related.

natehoy

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site

Does she have it in a fancy case? Maybe the case has an anti-theft chip in it somewhere? It's be odd, but I suppose it could be possible.

PapaGary

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site

Does she have it in a fancy case? Maybe the case has an anti-theft chip in it somewhere? It's be odd, but I suppose it could be possible.
In my experience that is very likely. Small high end goods (and some larger ones as well) have hidden tags that are meant to foil shoplifters. Some of these tags resemble labels that appear inside clothing. Reduction of "shrink" is a high priority in today's retail world. During my time at a large retail store we heard "it must be my cell phone" often when the security alarm went off. Asking the customer to take the phone out and wave it between the door sensors never set off the alarms. Did some of these individuals have on their person goods that weren't paid for? Sometimes they did but more oten they had hidden tags in their wallets, leather jackets or purses that set off the alarms.