View Poll Results: How long do you think Motorola's Cyber-Monday Sale for the Moto X will last?

Voters
75. You may not vote on this poll
  • Less than 15 minutes

10 13.33%
  • Between 15 minutes and 30 minutes

16 21.33%
  • Between 30 minutes and 1 hour

8 10.67%
  • Between 1 hour and 2 hours

11 14.67%
  • Between 2 hours and 4 hours

7 9.33%
  • More than 4 hours

23 30.67%
12-05-2013 11:00 AM
82 1234
tools
    This deal seems really designed for T-Mobile customers who aren't able to take advantage of the ridiculously low prices the contract carriers are offering for this phone, although $350 (+ tax!) is still cost prohibitive for many.
    21stNow likes this.
    11-29-2013 08:19 PM
    think it will last whole day, and dont think they will sell many few thousand units probably ..dont think they will even run out of stock ..loads of people dont want to pay 350$ upfront for off contract phone when they can get phones for 1cent on a contract ..
    Agree. I doubt that they will sell any or even come close to running out.

Sent from my note 3
    11-29-2013 08:23 PM
    think it will last whole day, and dont think they will sell many few thousand units probably ..dont think they will even run out of stock ..loads of people dont want to pay 350$ upfront for off contract phone when they can get phones for 1cent on a contract ..
    And I agree as well. A lot of cell phone users in the US still get their phones on contract. This sale has no effect on them.
    11-29-2013 08:24 PM
    This deal seems really designed for T-Mobile customers who aren't able to take advantage of the ridiculously low prices the contract carriers are offering for this phone, although $350 (+ tax!) is still cost prohibitive for many.
    You make an excellent point. It would be interesting to know what percentage of smartphones are purchased without a subsidy - I'm sure the percentage is very small.

That said, I'm willing to bet there are a fair number of Verizon customers with grandfathered Unlimited Data who are looking for a new phone. Since the Nexus 5 didn't make it to Verizon this Moto X deal is the most appealing option I've seen. (Verizon customers with Unlimited Data cannot get subsidized phones without giving up Unlimited Data.)

I'd also be willing to bet there are some people who plan to use Motorola's Cyber-Monday sale to try and flip the phone for a profit on Ebay or Swappa.
    ethertwist likes this.
    11-29-2013 08:51 PM
    I really can't see Motorola selling a lot of this...sure its has Google's financial backing..but it has a long way to go before it gets back to serious profitability.

That's unless you want to believe that Motorola will just keep throwing money at the wall.....

Moto's taking a financial beating by making this sale...
    11-29-2013 09:26 PM
    So.........why is the Nexus 5 backordered if nobody cares about off contract phones? There will be a decent showing from ppl who visit slickdeals and other deal sites also. They might have 1000 of these to go around, who knows. I'm fairly sure that site is gonna be hammered to death though and won't fair well. It barely runs well now and there probably is nobody using it.

My guess is they make profit from $350, esp since carriers selling it for pretty much the same price with a contract. So do they clean house and for a few straight hours allow ppl to order or do they just have a set limit set aside and once it's reached then they're gone. Without that answer I can't rly make too much of an educated guess.
    mrsmumbles and yfan like this.
    11-29-2013 10:01 PM
    The website will crash like healthcare.gov.
    XDCX likes this.
    11-30-2013 12:02 AM
    My guess is they still make a nice profit. If they're teasing people with "limited quantities" I'd think it's just a marketing ploy to make the phones look more exclusive and attractive. They'll sell until midnight unless their website crashes.

With the Nexus 5 I think Google had no idea how many phones they'd sell and rather than have a huge surplus of stock they prefer to keep manufacturing tied as closely as possible to number of units sold. Honestly when I see so many people sending phones back over software issues I feel sorry for those poor factory employees.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    11-30-2013 12:04 AM
    My guess is they still make a nice profit. If they're teasing people with "limited quantities" I'd think it's just a marketing ploy to make the phones look more exclusive and attractive. They'll sell until midnight unless their website crashes.
    That is what prompted me to venture such a massive wager with ya!

There were many unfortunate issues during the first days of the MotoMaker effort for AT&T folks...some system glitches & some server issues, sad to watch.

Actually hope this goes well and that Moto moves a ton of devices...wish my budget allowed a 32G Dev with Ebony wood for me so my better half could replace her (formerly 'my') Bionic with my X!
    mrsmumbles likes this.
    11-30-2013 11:01 AM
    That is what prompted me to venture such a massive wager with ya!

There were many unfortunate issues during the first days of the MotoMaker effort for AT&T folks...some system glitches & some server issues, sad to watch.

Actually hope this goes well and that Moto moves a ton of devices...wish my budget allowed a 32G Dev with Ebony wood for me so my better half could replace her (formerly 'my') Bionic with my X!
    Lol! I hope they do well too. :thumbup::beer:

Sent from my LG870 via Tapatalk 2
    11-30-2013 11:28 AM
    Moto's taking a financial beating by making this sale...
    I'm not so convinced of this actually. In the (small) retail world, retailers can get a 40/10 discount from retail cost. That means if something is priced at $100 retail, the retailer gets it from the wholesaler with a stacked discount of 40% then 10%. So the retailer pays the wholesaler $54. The retailer then marks up the product to a point that allows them to make a profit with a retail sale.

Now consider that at the original $600 retail price of the X and the likelihood that there was no wholesaler involved. Even if we apply the small retailer model of 40/10 to the manufacturer/carrier model, then the carriers would be paying about $324 per device. So if Moto is selling these direct at $350, my guess is that they are selling it at approximately the same price point they sell it to the carriers. So, in reality, they aren't losing out on anything. Instead, they are simply getting more product out the door and increasing their exposure/market share.
    ottscay likes this.
    11-30-2013 11:45 AM
    Remember, not everyone knows or understands the benefit of buying off contract.
    So what is the benefit of buying off contract vs. a great subsidized price except for the "keep your Verizon unlimited data plan"?
    11-30-2013 05:34 PM
    ...wish my budget allowed a 32G Dev with Ebony wood for me so my better half could replace her (formerly 'my') Bionic with my X!
    You evidently have the same system I have! I just got a Nexus 5 and passed my Nexus 4 on to my wife. However, this Cyber Monday deal was too good to pass up. I'm getting one for her and selling the Nexus 4. I'll take a hit of less than $150 hopefully. She's been playing with Motomaker but hasn't fully decided on colors yet. I told her that whatever's in the cart at 9:00 AM EST on Monday is what she's getting!

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
    11-30-2013 05:44 PM
    So what is the benefit of buying off contract vs. a great subsidized price except for the "keep your Verizon unlimited data plan"?
    For me it's freedom. If T-Mobile is poor where I am I can switch to Straight Talk etc. It's great for those of us who want byod prepaid plans and also greater resale value for people who plan to sell the device at some point.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk 2
    21stNow likes this.
    11-30-2013 05:59 PM
    This deal applies to the DE edition for all carriers too, doesn't it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    11-30-2013 06:16 PM
    This deal applies to the DE edition for all carriers too, doesn't it?

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    Yes all editions are included in the sale.

Posted via Android Central App
    11-30-2013 06:25 PM
    Yes all editions are included in the sale.

Awesome, thanks. I just hope I get a nice buck for my GS3 so that I can keep the X.
    11-30-2013 07:18 PM
    "Supplies will be limited"

I doubt it will last all day.

yes, moto said supply will be limited but i really hope they sell whatever they can..

even if its 1 or 2 mn... i know thats not going to happen but i really wish they have at least a huge limited supply thing
    11-30-2013 09:25 PM
    I hope I can get one. I'm very interested all of the sudden

Sent from my note 3
    11-30-2013 10:32 PM
    I Don't believe it'd going to sell out that quickly. 95% of people don't even know what a "off contract" phone is. They look at this deal and will think its a rip off

The Nexus 4 and 5 proved that wrong :P
    11-30-2013 11:07 PM
    Overall numbers for the Nexus devices are very low in the scope of things. The Nexus 4 sold, what, a couple million or so. Considering that somewhere around billion Android phones will sell this year, it's not much.
    11-30-2013 11:24 PM
    I hope I can get one. I'm very interested all of the sudden

Sent from my note 3
    I've kind of sold myself on this deal too, even though a Droid Maxx would be a better fit for my needs.

As I see it, I can get a Moto X for about $380 after sales tax and if I decide to screw-around with the Motorola Trade-in program I can probably save another $80. I also think there's an opportunity to get $10 in Google Play Credit and then there's the added incentive of extra storage (50 GB?) for two years on Google Drive.

I currently have a first generation Razr Maxx and I'd really like to upgrade to a phone that has NFC so I can use Google Wallet and set-up some custom NFC tags.
    11-30-2013 11:37 PM
    To be fair, we don't know the difference in scale of production between the X and the Nexus 4/5. For all we know, the Nexus production could be 1/10th of that X.
    12-01-2013 09:55 AM
    Playing around with different Motomaker Moto X designs this morning and their website already seems to be buggy... Anybody else seeing this?
    12-01-2013 10:01 AM
    As I type this I am waiting for the moto maker site to load just to take a look around. Sure does seem like something is up with the site.
    Playing around with different Motomaker Moto X designs this morning and their website already seems to be buggy... Anybody else seeing this?
    12-01-2013 10:34 AM
82 1234