I'll just say from the get go that I love my N4, most in particular the look and feel of the phone, and I've never had any lag or speed issues on the phone; it still flies for me, though I've noticed that when compared to a Nexus 5 with both on auto-brightness, the N5's screen is much brighter. And I'm on T-Mobile, where my HSPA+42 speeds are very good. That said, I'm very intrigued by the Moto X especially given the $350 price tag on Monday (assuming I can get one with limited supplies).

So far, I'm seeing the biggest benefit to an upgrade from an N4 is having LTE, active notifications, better WiFi radio (I believe MotoX has ac, whereas N4 is maxed at n), Gorilla Glass 3 and obviously always on for google now. With respect to active notifications, does it work well if using a pattern lock?

Would love to hear from anyone who has upgraded to the Moto X from the N4 and get your thoughts and observations in terms of comparison.

[PS] I should clarify that I have to get my mom a replacement phone. So I debating between upgrading to the Moto X for $350 and giving my mom my N4, or keeping my N4 and buying her a Moto G for $180. With that in mind, should I go for the Moto X???

Thanks!
    ethertwist and UJ95x like this.
    11-30-2013 03:14 PM
    Absolutely. Best android I have ever owned and this price is crazy good

Posted via Android Central App
    UJ95x and corolla90 like this.
    11-30-2013 03:26 PM
    ah... yeah!

I use a PIN and you can still see the active notification. If you want to open the notification you all have to put your pattern in to get to the message. The Moto X also uses a trusted bluetooth device which you could say have your pebble watch as a trusted device so it would not lock as long as the watch is within bluetooth range.
    Aquila, UJ95x and corolla90 like this.
    11-30-2013 03:29 PM
    Yes. IMO the Moto X is the best Android phone money can buy. Trusted Bluetooth devices is the best featrue ever IMO. I keep a PIN lock on my phone because there is so much personal information in it (credit cards, email, pictures, etc.) and not having to enter it every time I use my phone is the best. I have my car and my PC as trusted bluetooth devices right now and I plan on buying a Zomm or something similar for my key ring.
    corolla90 and UJ95x like this.
    11-30-2013 03:46 PM
    Yes. IMO the Moto X is the best Android phone money can buy. Trusted Bluetooth devices is the best featrue ever IMO. I keep a PIN lock on my phone because there is so much personal information in it (credit cards, email, pictures, etc.) and not having to enter it every time I use my phone is the best. I have my car and my PC as trusted bluetooth devices right now and I plan on buying a Zomm or something similar for my key ring.
    Oh - that's very interesting. Didn't think of that. What's the range on Trusted Bluetooth? It'd be nice not to have to unlock while in my apartment, etc.
    11-30-2013 03:52 PM
    Absolutely.

N7
    11-30-2013 04:02 PM
    Oh - that's very interesting. Didn't think of that. What's the range on Trusted Bluetooth? It'd be nice not to have to unlock while in my apartment, etc.
    What ever the range of your bluetooth device is. My car has a pretty strong antenna, so I can be a ways from it and still have it unlocked (assuming my radio is on) but my laptop has a pretty weak bluetooth antenna, so it only works for about 10 feet reliably. I've had it go 15 or 20 feet, but not reliably. Thats why I want a Zomm. Small enough to fit in my pocket so its always in range.
    11-30-2013 04:05 PM
    You missed battery life...Moto X has much better battery life than the N4. In fact, it has better battery life than any phone I have ever used.

But ya, amazing phone. Active notifications are wonderful. After 2 minutes with them you'll wonder how you went without for so long.

11-30-2013 04:11 PM
    You missed battery life...Moto X has much better battery life than the N4. In fact, it has better battery life than any phone I have ever used.
    I've read about the better battery life on the Moto X, but seems like I've read mixed reviews in terms of some people saying the battery is phenomenal, and others saying it's good enough to make it through a day of usage.

What I'm also most curious to know is whether the AMOLED screen is better to look at than the IPS on the N4. Last time I had an AMOLED it was with my Nexus S 4G.
    11-30-2013 04:24 PM
    Yes yes yes yes yes yes. As someone who has used pretty much every android flagship for the past year and a half this one is by far the best!

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk
    corolla90 likes this.
    11-30-2013 07:46 PM
    I'll just say from the get go that I love my N4, most in particular the look and feel of the phone, and I've never had any lag or speed issues on the phone; it still flies for me, though I've noticed that when compared to a Nexus 5 with both on auto-brightness, the N5's screen is much brighter. And I'm on T-Mobile, where my HSPA+42 speeds are very good. That said, I'm very intrigued by the Moto X especially given the $350 price tag on Monday (assuming I can get one with limited supplies).

So far, I'm seeing the biggest benefit to an upgrade from an N4 is having LTE, active notifications, better WiFi radio (I believe MotoX has ac, whereas N4 is maxed at n), Gorilla Glass 3 and obviously always on for google now. With respect to active notifications, does it work well if using a pattern lock?

Would love to hear from anyone who has upgraded to the Moto X from the N4 and get your thoughts and observations in terms of comparison.

[PS] I should clarify that I have to get my mom a replacement phone. So I debating between upgrading to the Moto X for $350 and giving my mom my N4, or keeping my N4 and buying her a Moto G for $180. With that in mind, should I go for the Moto X???

Thanks!
    I am someone who upgraded from N4 to Moto X... trust me its totally worth it..
    give ur mom n4 and get a Moto X
    corolla90 likes this.
    11-30-2013 10:09 PM
    How does the Moto X battery life compare to the GNote 3? Thanks!
    12-01-2013 12:54 AM
    What I'm also most curious to know is whether the AMOLED screen is better to look at than the IPS on the N4. Last time I had an AMOLED it was with my Nexus S 4G.
    That is simply a matter of opinion. IME, people either love AMOLED screens or hate them. No in between. I love them.
    12-01-2013 12:56 AM
    You could just upgrade to the Moto X and buy your mom a Moto G.

12-01-2013 03:30 AM
    I directly upgraded from an N4 to a Moto X DE and this is the happiest I've been with a phone since i can remember. The form factor is exceedingly better. Better battery life. LTE natively. My N4 was rooted - not even considering it on the X. The N4 was fast but even though the Moto X has only a dual core processor, it's so highly optimized that it's FASTER. And doubling the storage helps too.

corolla90 likes this.
    12-01-2013 07:09 AM
    I've read about the better battery life on the Moto X, but seems like I've read mixed reviews in terms of some people saying the battery is phenomenal, and others saying it's good enough to make it through a day of usage.

The Moto X screen is far better than the stock N4 screen. I had to root and flash a kernel to get my N4 screen better calibrated. I definitely prefer the X screen, even than the calibrated N4 one. And the X has the same resolution as the N4, same size screen but in a much tighter body.

corolla90 likes this.
    12-01-2013 07:12 AM
    I would. I may just do it so I can make my own. Then sell my black moto x on eBay.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
    12-01-2013 09:25 AM

Thanks!
    Buy yourself the Moto X, then sell the N4, then buy Mom the Moto G with the proceeds from N4 sale.
    12-01-2013 09:27 AM
    You could just upgrade to the Moto X and buy your mom a Moto G.
    Good point Could just keep the N4 as a backup ...
    UJ95x and scrounger like this.
    12-01-2013 10:07 AM
    As far as the screen, I have an HTC one and Moto X and the screen on the one is amazing but the screen on the X is also amazing, I never had an amoled screen before and I'm blown away by it.

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X
    corolla90 likes this.
    12-01-2013 10:10 AM
    Stopped by a store today to check out the Moto X's in-hand feel, and can't lie ... the form factor is VERY nice. I think I'll pull the trigger tomorrow, and worst case, I think I have 14 days to return it.
    12-01-2013 12:53 PM
    In my opinion as amazing as the Moto X is, I don't think it is 170 dollars better than the N4. As the previous comments reflect, I seem to be the only one with this opinion lol
    12-02-2013 03:05 PM
    I am switching from a n5 to the moto x solely for the added features. I was shocked by how much I use "ok google" on the nexus. I am sure I will use it a lot more since it can be done with the screen off on the moto.
    12-02-2013 03:21 PM
    Well, I was lucky enough to be able to order one today; though it's the T-Mobile woven black version (I wanted the solid black, but motomaker has been funky all day). I'm looking forward! I actually had ordered the N5, played around with it for a few days, but it wasn't for me. Just seemed like a slightly upgraded N4 (considering I have 4.4 on my N4 and GEL installed), but taller and less comfy in the hand. LTE was nice, but in terms of loading web pages, I couldn't tell that significant of a difference. In any case, the MotoX has LTE, so bonus. I have chargers everywhere, but fingers still twisted that the battery life will be that much better, especially for those times when I'm out and about all day and w/o access to a charger.

-- Oh, forgot to mention that I'm looking most forward to being able to send SMS from my laptop!
    DS1331 likes this.
    12-02-2013 03:53 PM