Anyone consider this with pricing falling under $400?

My daughter always wants my phone to play with. She likes it better than my wife's 5S due to the larger screen size. The ipad is a little too big for her so the larger screen phones are the perfect size. Maybe a Galaxy Note or perhaps a Nexus 7 would be good as well.

And with a Moto X when she's old enough to have a cell phone you could just turn on phone service later. I think my daughter would love a pink Moto X as "her" device. Just wondering if it makes sense to do it.

When I was a kid never could have imagined getting stuff like this for Christmas.

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app
    12-01-2013 02:43 PM
    I would say as a "play" device the X might be too small as well. You can get the Nexus 7 for less than $200.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk
    12-01-2013 02:47 PM

My daughter always wants my phone to play with. She likes it better than my wife's 5S due to the larger screen size. The ipad is a little too big for her so the larger screen phones are the perfect size. Maybe a Galaxy Note or perhaps a Nexus 7 would be good as well.

And with a Moto X when she's old enough to have a cell phone you could just turn on phone service later. I think my daughter would love a pink Moto X as "her" device. Just wondering if it makes sense to do it.

When I was a kid never could have imagined getting stuff like this for Christmas.

No joke my boys are 12, 11 and 5 and all three are getting ipad minis . The two older boys are getting the retina display. Coming from Grandma. And we already bought an Xbox one. Im almost jealous myself . lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using Tapatalk
    12-01-2013 02:56 PM
    How old is your daughter?

Like androidatic said, a phone is still a phone, and a little small for a play device. But if your daughters near cellphone age (which to me should be 12/13 not 8 <.<), it would be a good choice to activate the sim later. To me its weird to use it without having the sim activated.
    The Nexus 7 is a great choice, the new one is probably a bit better at gaming, and has the bigger screen so cut the rope, books, and drawing are more promient.
    You can lock down both, and make a nice interface with Nova Launcher like hide the apps they dont need to acess like phone, messaging (if you choose the moto x). And make the interface as simple as ios grid o' icons.
    12-01-2013 03:03 PM
    My daughter just turned 6. For her birthday we bought her a Leap Pad Ultra which is $200 piece of garbage. She cried for 2 weeks after seeing her friend's one. I should have listened to my gut and got her the Nexus 7 for her birthday and I wouldn't be having this discussion.

My daughter is a spoiled brat and that is the fault of her up bringing. But as parents we want to do all that we can for our children and I'm sure I'm not alone in that thinking.

Last Christmas when she was in kindergarten her classmates were getting ipads for Christmas so at least I put off the tablet for a year. She's going to tell Santa she wants a typewriter, I have no idea why or where she even saw one. I don't want it to end up like the Leap Pad where she plays with it for a week and then it collects dust until we give it away or donate it.

Maybe the Nexus 7 is the way to go or an ipad mini.

12-01-2013 03:16 PM
    how about moto G
    12-01-2013 04:21 PM
    how about moto G
    This.
    12-01-2013 04:35 PM
    At least the G is more replaceable should something happen.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using AC Forums mobile app
    12-01-2013 05:49 PM

Times a changin'
    I got my first laptop at 10 and it even wasn't my birthday or anything. Just because. First phone in 2010 iPhone 3GS.

I recommend the G over the X personally. Up to you of course though.

Posted via Android Central App
    12-03-2013 06:10 AM
    how about moto G
    Totally agree here.

Moto X as a Wi-Fi-only device is overkill. The Moto G however, not so much.
    12-03-2013 11:44 AM