any good teathering apps to bypass Verizon?

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I haven't used one in more than a year and forgot what I used before.
I don't want to pay Verizon a dime so I'm looking for an app that provides free tethering..
Thanks

Last edited:

Shawn Magm

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I haven't used one in more than a year and forgot what I used before.
I don't want to pay Verizon a dime so I'm looking for an app that provides free feathering..
Thanks

You mean like tar and feathering, hehe.

Yes, I think Foxfi and pdanet may work. Not sure, but is there a Verizon Developer's Edition Moto X? There may not be any carrier bloatware to block tethering. In addition, Kitkat may have native tethering. I have an N5, and tried native tethering on AT&T. It worked. I didn't use much data, and don't know if AT&T can tell if I'm tethering.

KWKSLVR

Feb 12, 2011
Visit site
You mean like tar and feathering, hehe.

Yes, I think Foxfi and pdanet may work. Not sure, but is there a Verizon Developer's Edition Moto X? There may not be any carrier bloatware to block tethering. In addition, Kitkat may have native tethering. I have an N5, and tried native tethering on AT&T. It worked. I didn't use much data, and don't know if AT&T can tell if I'm tethering.

The Developer Edition is the same as the "normal" model. It just has an unlockable bootloader.

Posted via Android Central App

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
LOL, thanks guys. Stupid typo.
I'll go look into native tethering right now.

Edit.... KitKat does have native tethering but when you try to enable it, it checks for subscription and then gives you phone numbers to call.
I'll wait till FoxFi fixes the KK issues.

Thanks

Last edited:

yazzinit

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
FoxFi does NOT work on Verizon. It asks for credential passwords (of which there is no answer for) or to enable native tethering which just results in a subscription check. I've brought this to the Foxfi developer's attention, and it's not been fun. We've exchanged multiple emails back and forth and it seems I'm dealing with someone who doesn't understand English or is just bad at reading. They keep answering everything but what I ask. First they said I can update to Kit Kat and FoxFi wifi tethering would work - false. I replied telling them this and also explained that FoxFi is asking for a credential password after having me create a lock screen with password (also new). Their reply - I can remove the lock screen by entering the wrong password 5-10 times. Again, not even close or relevant to what I asked. I'm just about done speaking with them and wouldn't consider buying FoxFi if support can't even be bothered to respond coherently.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Edit.... KitKat does have native tethering but when you try to enable it, it checks for subscription and then gives you phone numbers to call.

Thanks

I've enabled and used tethering on kit kat and don't recall encountering such a prompt. Is this specific to certain devices, or to post paid accounts?

Posted from my N5 via the Android Central App

rjack22

Jan 25, 2011
Visit site
It only applies to those with unlimited data plans. Those on shared data plans can use the hotspot free.

Posted via Android Central App and my XT1080M

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I've enabled and used tethering on kit kat and don't recall encountering such a prompt. Is this specific to certain devices, or to post paid accounts?

Posted from my N5 via the Android Central App

You got Nexus 5, which is most likely the reason you don't have this issue.
My Moto X is tied to Verizon.

tr-1

Jul 25, 2012
Visit site
I'd use the "switch to t-mobile" app, as I did. :)

Posted via Android Central App

LOL, as much as I want free tethering, I cannot abandon Verizon when I have
- unlimited data
- 20% discount from work
- works everywhere I go (and I do travel a lot)

Latest posts

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member