So I'm thinking of buying the T-Mobile off-contract SIM unlocked Moto X. But the bootloader will be locked. So I won't be able to flash a ROM to update to Kitkat, and it will ship with 4.2.2. Does anyone else use prepaid services like Gophone, AIO Wireless, or Straight Talk and is it possible to update manually without unlocking the bootloader?
    12-03-2013 09:59 AM
    So I'm thinking of buying the T-Mobile off-contract SIM unlocked Moto X. But the bootloader will be locked. So I won't be able to flash a ROM to update to Kitkat, and it will ship with 4.2.2. Does anyone else use prepaid services like Gophone, AIO Wireless, or Straight Talk and is it possible to update manually without unlocking the bootloader?
    Hi,

The updates from Motorola do not have anything to do with a locked/unlocked boot loader.

Your device should be updated when that particular device is updated, in your case the T-Mobile version.

Also as I understand it, the bootloader on the T-Mobile version is unlocked anyway.

-Azhagan
    12-03-2013 10:07 AM
    the tmobile moto x is a lot like the tmobile nexus (but with just a manufacture to go through). The update will go through moto and straight to your phone. It does not need to go through tmobile since there is zero tmobile software on it. So to answer your question, there should be an update to your phone for kitkat regardless of whether you use tmobile or any GSM carrier.
    12-03-2013 10:29 AM
    The "T-Mobile" Moto X has very little to do with T-Mobile.
    12-03-2013 11:06 AM
    The "T-Mobile" Moto X has very little to do with T-Mobile.
    Is the Tmobile MotoX just the Moto X GSM developer edition?
    12-03-2013 11:09 AM
    the tmobile moto x is a lot like the tmobile nexus (but with just a manufacture to go through). The update will go through moto and straight to your phone. It does not need to go through tmobile since there is zero tmobile software on it. So to answer your question, there should be an update to your phone for kitkat regardless of whether you use tmobile or any GSM carrier.
    Thanks. For some reason I thought the carrier had to push the OTA.
    12-03-2013 11:25 AM
    Thanks. For some reason I thought the carrier had to push the OTA.
    Typically they do, but the T-Mobile version is unique. That is why I compared it to the nexus from T-Mobile. You can buy it from them but they do not need to push the update.
    12-03-2013 11:29 AM
    Is the Tmobile MotoX just the Moto X GSM developer edition?
    Sort of.

Like the GSM Developer Edition, the "T-Mobile" Moto X has an unlockable bootloader and is also SIM unlocked.

Unlike the GSM Developer Edition, you can get it in a 16GB version and customized through Moto Maker.
    12-03-2013 11:33 AM
    Sort of.

Like the GSM Developer Edition, the "T-Mobile" Moto X has an unlockable bootloader and is also SIM unlocked.

Unlike the GSM Developer Edition, you can get it in a 16GB version and customized through Moto Maker.
    this. That is why I was so confused why anyone would want the dev edition over the tmobile version. You are stuck with, IMO, that hideous black white combo.
    12-03-2013 11:39 AM
    Typically they do, but the T-Mobile version is unique. That is why I compared it to the nexus from T-Mobile. You can buy it from them but they do not need to push the update.
    T-Mobile does not sell a Moto X (as in T-Mobile does not stock the Moto X in-stores or online to resell to customers). Motorola sells a version of the Moto X that is compatible with T-Mobile's bands, which Motorola advertises as the "Moto X for T-Mobile".
    12-03-2013 11:42 AM
    T-Mobile does not sell a Moto X (as in T-Mobile does not stock the Moto X in-stores or online to resell to customers). Motorola sells a version of the Moto X that is compatible with T-Mobile's bands, which Motorola advertises as the "Moto X for T-Mobile".
    Ah so true. I didn't even think of that. They cannot be bought for anything other than the outright price. Weird that they would do that when a nexus can be bought on contract in store.
    12-03-2013 11:44 AM
    this. That is why I was so confused why anyone would want the dev edition over the tmobile version. You are stuck with, IMO, that hideous black white combo.
    I am on verizon so no choice if I want an unlockable bootloader
    12-03-2013 02:24 PM