Somebody please explain the difference between Tmobile and At&T version?

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I'm on at&t prepaid and use a microcell at home on a friend's post paid account. My black 16gb X works beautifully and I've fallen in love with this phone!

Question is, I want a 32gb version custom designed and I like the thought of flashing Roms in the future. The T-Mobile version seems to have all the same bands as at&t version plus some. Anybody know if I will be able to connect to my microcell in addition to getting the same service on the current model?

Also, can anybody comment on moto's warranty service in case of defects? And is there a restocking fee for returning the phone?
Thx!!

Sent from my XT1058 using AC Forums mobile app

Gunnyman

Apr 10, 2010
Visit site
Does a Microcell just retransmit the 4G bands or does it do something different? The T-Mobile version supports the AT&T and T-Mobile bands and is SIM unlocked. As for a restocking fee, I'm not sure, but motomaker phones have 14 days after delivery to be exchanged or returned, no questions asked. I think all you have to pay is shipping if returning for a refund.

If I had it to do over again I would have preserved my upgrade and bought the T-mobile version instead of the AT&T.

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
AFAIK the phone connects to the microcell via one of the 3g bands. It looks like the Tmobile version has all the same bands. Does the Tmobile version have bloat or tm splash screen?

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
I believe the Sim card provisions the connection to the microcell, not the phone itself. Not sure that's why I ask about return policy.

TofuTwit

Nov 9, 2012
Visit site
A microcell will only allow access for phone numbers connected to the same account. If you are using the same phone number and account, it should still connect as your other MotoX did.

bang_bang

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
I'm a little confused by this as well. I just ordered a no contract AT&T today. Since I went no contract, would I have been better off getting a T-mobile version and putting an AT&T sim in it? I'm coming from a Note 2 and there's a micro sim card in there. I would have had to either cut it down to a nano or gotten a nano sim card from AT&T

What are the differences? Does the AT&T version come with AT&T software and the T-mobile version is pure?

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Don't know about Tmobile version but the att version has logo on back and att address book, my att and locker installed and that's it for bloat. Not even an att splash screen. It's absolutely awesome!!
I cut my Sim with a cutter but lost data about a week later and had to get a real nano Sim. I used the cut out portion of the micro Sim as an adaptor to swap between the x and my other phone. Use caution here, I used take to hold it in. Depending on phone you can get things stuck and be hosed;)

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
A microcell will only allow access for phone numbers connected to the same account. If you are using the same phone number and account, it should still connect as your other MotoX did.

I guess what I'm thinking is does the ability to connect to microcell come from the sim card or is there software on the att phone that enables it? I'm betting it's the Sim as long as the phone has the correct bands to connect to the 3g microcell. Let's hope so!! Will report back!!!

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Why would you buy a T-Mobile version and not the just unlocked version. That's what I have, has a gsm bands and no logos on the back or splash screen. I use ATT also

Q10, HTC One, Nexus 7, Moto X

bang_bang

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Why would you buy a T-Mobile version and not the just unlocked version. That's what I have, has a gsm bands and no logos on the back or splash screen. I use ATT also

Because unless I'm missing something, it wasn't available from Motomaker.

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
Dev version you mean? Wasn't on sale and from what I understand the Tmobile version is unbranded and Sim unlocked with an unlockable bootloader.

bang_bang

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Dev version you mean? Wasn't on sale and from what I understand the Tmobile version is unbranded and Sim unlocked with an unlockable bootloader.

S***. Probably should have looked in to that a little more before I ordered. I just assumed I needed to get the AT&T version.

DS1331

May 25, 2013
Visit site
Oh you're right no I didn't know you wanted to use Moto maker they sell unlocked black and white ones not in Moto maker though, not a dev version

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
S***. Probably should have looked in to that a little more before I ordered. I just assumed I needed to get the AT&T version.

Dude, this phone is so freaking awesome I wouldn't even worry about it!!! Been using 16gb black att model for around two weeks and it's unreal!!!! Battery keeps getting better and better, I hammered it today and it's a champ!!!

I got a 32gb Tmobile custom designed and I'm stoked to keep this phone well into next year!!

bang_bang

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Dude, this phone is so freaking awesome I wouldn't even worry about it!!! Been using 16gb black att model for around two weeks and it's unreal!!!! Battery keeps getting better and better, I hammered it today and it's a champ!!!

I got a 32gb Tmobile custom designed and I'm stoked to keep this phone well into next year!!

Alright cool. Won't worry about it then. Now I'm deciding between a Nexus 7 or an Ipad Mini Retina.

bang_bang

Nov 17, 2013
Visit site
Oh you're right no I didn't know you wanted to use Moto maker they sell unlocked black and white ones not in Moto maker though, not a dev version

Motomaker wasn't a big deal to me because I went all black. I didn't care about crazy colors. I did it because of the $150 off, otherwise I was going to probably get a Nexus 5.

JudH

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
A microcell will only allow access for phone numbers connected to the same account.

The AT&T Microcell is definitely NOT limited to phones on one account. It's controlled/maintained from MyATT so one number there but you update a list of phone numbers that are allowed to use it. Any AT&T GSM 2g/3g user on the list has full access even unlimited calling if you pay for that option. The instructions even mention adding your frequent guests phone numbers to the allowed user list.

redeyss

Apr 1, 2012
Visit site
The AT&T Microcell is definitely NOT limited to phones on one account. It's controlled/maintained from MyATT so one number there but you update a list of phone numbers that are allowed to use it. Any AT&T GSM 2g/3g user on the list has full access even unlimited calling if you pay for that option. The instructions even mention adding your frequent guests phone numbers to the allowed user list.

Yes but.... The question is really when I put my att Gophone Sim card in my unlocked Tmobile moto x will it connect because the Sim is att and the phone has the 3g bands the microcell requires? Or does the ability to connect lay in the firmware of att branded phones? I believe it's the former because I've heard that unbranded nexus 4s have had success connecting to a microcell.

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
19escape20