I understand tethering isn't allowed with Republic Wireless but neither is it allowed with Sprint and it works just fine with my HTC One using PDAnet granted I have to tether using the USB cable.

Can anyone with the Moto X and Republic Wireless confirm that you can tether via USB cable using PDAnet (it's a free program)?

This is the last stumbling block before I pay Sprint the ETF to get rid of them and go with Republic Wireless.

And no, I don't plan on tethering often at all. But about once or twice a month I'll find myself on the road and a client needs something done or something from my laptop right away and so I'll have to tether to get internet service.

Thanks in advance!
    12-04-2013 05:41 PM
    07-31-2014 01:47 PM
    Republic Wireless uses their own ROM on all their phones and it is not possible to tether from their devices for mobile data. I did the 30 day money back trial period. During that time I did some research trying to tether. At that time I found 3 accounts of people getting it to work only for the device to become blacklisted within 48 hours. After blacklisted it and the user is blocked from service for life.
    08-01-2014 10:42 AM
    zedorda, I'm curious how they tethered.

I am the original poster of this thread and I now have in my hand a Moto X from Republic Wireless.

I installed PDAnet (actually I installed Foxfi which is basically the same thing as PDAnet) and tried to "Activate WiFi Hotspot" only for the phone to tell me that it's been blocked.

Next, connected my phone to my computer with the USB cable and hit "Activate USB Mode" and it worked (after enabling USB debugging of course).

This was 3 days ago when I connected. I browsed for about 5 minutes then disconnected.

So I can confirm that at least for me, I was able to tether using FoxFi in USB mode just fine.

And like I mentioned above in my first post, Sprint (I still have my Sprint phone) doesn't allow tethering either, but it works this same exact way and they've never been able to detect it.
    08-28-2014 03:14 PM
    Is your phone still working on Republic since you tried tethering?

Thanks.
    11-04-2014 08:38 AM