Is the camera that BAD!?

kakos26

May 1, 2012
Visit site
Hello X or Aspiring X users,

I recently got my code to purchase a Moto X for $150 off. Currently, my device I'm using is a VZW Galaxy Nexus.

Coming from this phone, would the Moto X camera be a step up, down or on par?

I really want to get this phone but I like to take pictures too from time to time. If I've gotten by with my Nexus and 5MP, can I do the same with the X. (Yes I know megapixels aren't everything)

Thanks all,

James

Posted via Android Central App

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site

I recently got my code to purchase a Moto X for $150 off. Currently, my device I'm using is a VZW Galaxy Nexus.

I really want to get this phone but I like to take pictures too from time to time. If I've gotten by with my Nexus and 5MP, can I do the same with the X. (Yes I know megapixels aren't everything)

Thanks all,

James

The X should be a step up form the GNex for sure. The update fixed the camera a few weeks ago and even then it was probably still better than the GNex.
I'd say it's on-par or pretty close to the camera on the N5 :)

JoeNM84

Dec 7, 2011
Visit site

Thanks all,

James

Same boat. It is 2 years newer and has twice as many MP, it most definitely cannot be worse.

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Absolutely. I've owned both. I feel that apart from the moto x not having OIS its a very capable shooter with all of its downfalls easily addressed in ongoing camera updates. Which hopefully continue to come considering that moto broke out the camera app and put it in the Play store instead of having to include it in OTA updates. In good light and a steady hand, you can take some really great photos with the X. As well as well lit action shots. The biggest issues I see are the amount of noise and actually too much light being let in for low light shots. And the lack of saturation/contrast for any shot you take. That can be easily fixed by adding a quick preset to any number of great photo editing apps including the editor with the gallery app itself. A tweak to the saturation/contrast and some tweaks to how it handles low light and it changes everything.

A wish list item would be that moto adds some manual controls to their app (The app itself is generally very good. As far as speed of opening app, focusing, getting from shot to shot, etc). I've tried the major 3rd party cams and none get the job done (Camera Awesome and Camera Zoom FX).

atkjhi

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
Definitely takes much better pics outdoors in natural lighting than indoors but that can be said about every other camera as well.

Sent from my XT1053 using AC Forums mobile app

Attachments

• 1386371135068.jpg
    1386371135068.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 149

dmark44

Mar 2, 2012
Visit site
A wish list item would be that moto adds some manual controls to their app (The app itself is generally very good. As far as speed of opening app, focusing, getting from shot to shot, etc). I've tried the major 3rd party cams and none get the job done (Camera Awesome and Camera Zoom FX).

I had high hopes for Camera Awesome. How does it fall short?

pgoelz

Aug 8, 2012
Visit site
Just snapped this from the couch to show what the Moto X can do in low light.

camera1.jpg

The only illumination is from the lights you can see plus the Christmas tree offscreen to the left. It is not my Nikon D5100 but it not too bad at all in my estimation. For a phone.

Paul

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
I had high hopes for Camera Awesome. How does it fall short?

A few things. It cant be set as the default camera app so the convenience of the twist to open feature is negated- and I use that a lot or always really. Its slower to open, focus and from shot to shot. It does give control over iso and exposure but no HDR. In general, in a number of different lighting situations and various environments, the quality of images captured were no better. And with the improvements to the image editor within the gallery app itself, I have no need for any other apps editing capabilities either.

What would be perfect is the Moto camera app as it is, but with the updates in contrast/saturation and low light handling of the nexus. All just a software update away for Moto! I believe that besides the OIS of the nexus, the x has superior hardware. Just needs the appropriate software to accompany it. The contrast and saturation can be fixed easily in an editor, which makes the way it handles low light shots (too high iso and combined with too much exposure time at the level shot - need to bump down ISO while keeping exposure time constant) the only glaring issue for me. And would be nice if they'd just give us a damn manual mode with at least control over iso and exposure!

EDIT - After writing, I became curious again so redownloaded the app (I wrote it off and deleted it off my phone). Did a walk through the neighborhood at night as well as some more well lit shots in my apt to compare and I retract some of what I said above. The app has been updated since I last used. Start up time to focus/shot is now quite fast. Maybe just a hair behind the stock app but totally serviceable. In low light, the shots produced by CA are much better than the stock app. Like a lot better. Noise is much lower and color balance/exposure is the difference. Theres just so much noise in the stock cams low light shots. It still doesnt have HDR on the moto x nor the ability to set as the default app which would be super convenient of course. Lastly, theres no separate exposure/focusing control which isnt a deal breaker. And honestly, because the CA algorithms seem to be so much superior to the stock app right now, theres not much need for HDR it seems. Though of course would be a nice option. For now, just use the CA awesomize feature to give some more dynamic range. I'll now be shooting with CA permanently. Do hope they update soon though!

Last edited:

Wildo6882

Aug 13, 2010
Visit site
I've seen some great images from this phone. I've also seen some bad ones. But the same can be said for my S4, my old i5, and my old DNA.

I'm hopeful that it'll work out just fine for me.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

wsrobert

Dec 5, 2013
Visit site
Made some edits to my original post that I thought you might like to see after redownloading the app and spending a few hours doing some more comparing. Was an update since I last used.

mattopotamus

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
The camera produces a lot of noise. The first photo in this thread is one of the best I have seen from the x. It will however be a step up from the gnex

androidatic

May 7, 2010
Visit site
Has anyone tried Camera FV-5 on the X? There seems to be some manual controls that some of you are looking for.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
Seems decent to me, but I never really expect killer photos from a phone app so my standards may be in question here lol. Btw, the N 5 had a nice little feature that allowed you to change the default size of the photos you take so you're not always fighting huge file sizes for emails and MMS. Is there such a thing for the X?

UJ95x

Retired Ambassador
Aug 26, 2013
Visit site
Seems decent to me, but I never really expect killer photos from a phone app so my standards may be in question here lol. Btw, the N 5 had a nice little feature that allowed you to change the default size of the photos you take so you're not always fighting huge file sizes for emails and MMS. Is there such a thing for the X?

I think it's an option on every phone. If it isn't on the X you could use an app that has the option.

Ry

Moderator Captain
Trusted Member
Nov 16, 2010
Visit site

If used for MMS, the standard messaging app automatically resizes them.

soma4society

Oct 2, 2011
Visit site
If used for MMS, the standard messaging app automatically resizes them.

By standard you mean hangouts? Don't use it so that won't help, but I appreciate the heads up nonetheless.

I had image shrink lite before but it doesn't play well with ART. That's why I was pleased to find the "picture size" toggle baked into the camera settings menu on the 5. Not there on the X though dagnabbit.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

Members online

Trending Posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
fancyfranci